[Watermere] What books could help a Watermere campaign?

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

[Watermere] What books could help a Watermere campaign?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Aside from DLR1 Otherlands itself, what other Dragonlance and D&D books would you recommend for a Watermere-based campaign?

Are there any areas, in other D&D campaign settings, that are similar enough to Watermere that content from products created for those regions could be "rebooted" to make them fit Watermere?

Are there any good ground-based products that could be adapted?

Are there any non-D&D products that are good to use as inspiration?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Watermere] What books could help a Watermere campaign?

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:55 pm

What is Watermere exactly?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Havard wrote:What is Watermere exactly?

Watermere is an underwater nation of elves.

According to Dragonlance Lexicon's Watermere article: "Watermere is the Dargonesti Elf nation located under the Northern Courrain Ocean of Krynn. It is located southwest of Southern Hosk, northeast of Ansalon, and west of Ithin’carthia."

So this isn't an underwater city of elves, living in a lake in Ansalon, Taladas or another conventional continent - this is an entire campaign setting, in an undersea valley.

There could be some action related to ships travelling overhead, but mostly I think that a Watermere campaign would need to take traditional Dragonlance tropes like "Evil turning on itself", "Moon Magic" and the "Holy Orders of the Stars" and give them an undersea reboot.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:03 pm

The Sea of Fallen Stars is an excellent resource for running an underwater campaign.

Creature Crucible: Sea Creatures would also be of great use, I'm sure.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:52 am

night_druid wrote:The Sea of Fallen Stars is an excellent resource for running an underwater campaign.

I didn't realise that Sea of Fallen Stars was an underwater book. I thought it was about pirates on the surface. I'll have to check that out. :)

night_druid wrote:Creature Crucible: Sea Creatures would also be of great use, I'm sure.

Do you mean PC3: Creature Crucible: The Sea People? I just spotted that myself and was coming over to ask about it.

It seems like PC3 has a lot more racial options than Watermere does. I wonder if any of those aquatic races exist in Dragonlance canon. There should definitely be a number of aquatic races on Krynn. I wonder if the Greygem could have ever fallen into the sea and created any funky aquatic races.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boneguard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:The Sea of Fallen Stars is an excellent resource for running an underwater campaign.

[url][url][/url][/url]
I didn't realise that Sea of Fallen Stars was an underwater book. I thought it was about pirates on the surface. I'll have to check that out. :)

Nope that would be FOR3: Pirates of the Fallen Stars.

The Sea of the Fallen Stars is a good underwater ressource.

Dragon Magazine 116 and 250 are "Underwater" themed.

Monstrous Arcana #1: Sahuagins, dragon Magazine 239 and its 3 adventure Evild tide, Night of the Shark and Sea of Blood can also be good for the Malenti/Sahuagin angle.

DMGR9 Of Ships and the Sea is another good resources.

Wyrmskull Throne is a Sea of the Fallen Stara adventure that could be of interest.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:Do you mean PC3: Creature Crucible: The Sea People? I just spotted that myself and was coming over to ask about it.

It seems like PC3 has a lot more racial options than Watermere does. I wonder if any of those aquatic races exist in Dragonlance canon. There should definitely be a number of aquatic races on Krynn. I wonder if the Greygem could have ever fallen into the sea and created any funky aquatic races.

PC3 The Sea People is one of my favorite RPG supplements. It is set in Mystara and covers a lot of ground when it comes to underwater adventures. The race options included are:
  • Aquatic Elf
  • Kna: Somewhat similar to Locathah, but much more civilised and with a unique culture.
  • Kopru: This race used to be unique to Mystara untill 3E.
  • Shark-Kin: As the name says, these are Shark folk
  • Sea Giant: I didn't realize this, but these two appear to be fairly unique to Mystara, although 3E has something called Ocean Giants.
  • Nixie: Underwater Fey
  • Triton: Another race rarely found outside Mystara, though it did appear in 1st Edition and most recently in 5th Edition.
  • Merrow (Merefolk)

I don't know how many of these races would be fitting for Krynn, but I guess it also depends on how purist you want to be.

PC3 doesn't just describe these races though, it provides a gazetteer of the Sunlit Sea area of Mystara's Underwater realm. Although specific to the setting, it might give GMs ideas for populating Watermere. The book also has rules for underwater magic, new spells and adventures.

Another book that has not been mentioned yet is OD&D's Supplement II which also has a small section on Underwater Adventures as well as a bunch of Underwater creatures, most of which later appeared in other editions.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:29 am

Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Nope that would be FOR3: Pirates of the Fallen Stars.

Thanks for the clarification Boneguard.

Boneguard wrote:The Sea of the Fallen Stars is a good underwater ressource.

It sounds it. Obviously I'll have to remove any Forgotten Realms influence. But I'm interested in Forgotten Realms too, so even if the book had limited use as a Watermere resource, it would be useful for Forgotten Realms underwater games.

Boneguard wrote:Dragon Magazine 116 and 250 are "Underwater" themed.

Monstrous Arcana #1: Sahuagins, dragon Magazine 239 and its 3 adventure Evild tide, Night of the Shark and Sea of Blood can also be good for the Malenti/Sahuagin angle.

I'll have to check those out. I bought the Ilithiad and the books that went with it. I think I might have also bought the Beholder books. But I discounted the Sahuagin books, at that time. Malenti are a great idea. I'm not sure if they exist in Dragonlance. I might need to check.

Boneguard wrote:DMGR9 Of Ships and the Sea is another good resources.

Thanks. I've had that book on my RADAR for a while now* because of it's potential for use with Spelljammer. But the DMGR9 Of Ships and the Sea page on the Book-House on The Piazza is always telling me that second-hand copies are out of my price range. (It's £75.35 UKP plus postage at the moment.) I might need to wait for it to come out on Print on Demand (although I doubt the PoD version will match the colour of the other DMGR books).

* = DYSWIDT

Boneguard wrote:Wyrmskull Throne is a Sea of the Fallen Stara adventure that could be of interest.

I think that FOR3 and this adventure would expand on Sea of the Fallen Stars. So it would probably make sense to buy all three.

It looks like some of this stuff is missing from the Book-House. I think I'll have to make some time to add a few pages. (I like to do research before buying products anyway, so I might as well make the pages for the things I'm thinking of buying and save myself from needing to look up things like reviews more than once.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands