Dragonlance Canticle #95: Taladas!

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Postby Dragonhelm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 am

In this episode, the Canticle crew talks about Dragonlance's second continent - Taladas! Plus discussion of the Taladas trilogy.

Hosts: Trampas, John, Tristan, and Weldon.

Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Dragonlance Canticle #95: Taladas!

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:14 am

TALADAS! YAY!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:14 pm

This is great! :)

I am going to listen to it right now while I do some.... plumbing.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Uhm, is it just my download version or did this episode end really abruptly with Trampas talking about the elves in the Taladas Trilogy?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 am

Havard wrote:Uhm, is it just my download version or did this episode end really abruptly with Trampas talking about the elves in the Taladas Trilogy?

-Havard

We're having a technical issue. Will fix this as soon as we can.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Okay man, I enjoyed listening to the first hour or so that is available so far. :)

Looking forward to the rest! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 am

Fixed.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Havard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Fixed.

Thankyou very much!

As someone who is pretty interested in Taladas, I really enjoyed show.

The overall discusions about the setting and its strenghts and weaknesses was very interesting.

I liked the summary of the Taladas Trilogy, but I am not really sure it made me want to go back to read those novels now. They seem to have much of the same problem that Dragons of Summer Flame did. I guess I prefer the spirit of Dragonlance from the Chronicles and the Twins Trilogy to some of the later and darker stuff. I am glad the discussion on the podcast kept things pretty light though! I have to admit, I did not participate in the drinking game this time, but I am sure it could be fun :D

To Trampas' question: Would I like to see something written up for Taladas with updated information from the Taladas trilogy? Absolutely. One of the other hosts mentioned that a world immediately after destruction and war can be a great place for adventuring. I think I would prefer it if it was presented in a light of optimism though. Reconstruction is more fun than post apocalyptic survival, at least to me.

I was also fascinated by the talk of the unique Dragons and Draconians of Taladas. I would really be interested in seeing those Draconian rules you guys mentioned.

Thanks again for a great podcast!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 am

Havard wrote:As someone who is pretty interested in Taladas, I really enjoyed show.

Thanks! It was really fun to do.

I liked the summary of the Taladas Trilogy, but I am not really sure it made me want to go back to read those novels now.

Dude! Trust me on this, the Taladas trilogy is one of the best-written series in all of Dragonlance.

To Trampas' question: Would I like to see something written up for Taladas with updated information from the Taladas trilogy? Absolutely. One of the other hosts mentioned that a world immediately after destruction and war can be a great place for adventuring. I think I would prefer it if it was presented in a light of optimism though. Reconstruction is more fun than post apocalyptic survival, at least to me.

I was also fascinated by the talk of the unique Dragons and Draconians of Taladas. I would really be interested in seeing those Draconian rules you guys mentioned.

Thanks again for a great podcast!

-Havard

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed this episode.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 am

I'm still having problems on iTunes.

The podcast ran out faster than the stated time.

I tried deleting it and redownloading it, but it won't come back down now.

I was really enjoying it, up to the point where it went wrong. I'd really like to listen to the end.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:

I'm still having problems on iTunes.

The podcast ran out faster than the stated time.

I tried deleting it and redownloading it, but it won't come back down now.

I was really enjoying it, up to the point where it went wrong. I'd really like to listen to the end.

Not sure what to tell you on that. I just downloaded the episode at work, and it fully downloads. Should be an hour and 47 minutes.

You can listen through the browser from the site, if you wish.

Plus, my cat makes an appearance. :)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am

Havard wrote:As someone who is pretty interested in Taladas, I really enjoyed show.

The overall discusions about the setting and its strenghts and weaknesses was very interesting.

Taladas is an interesting thing, as it is Dragonlance, without the Ansalon subtext. I was chatting to AuldDragon about Krynnspace recently, and he thought that Taladas kind of gives us an idea of what the rest of Krynnspace might be. You do kind of get the "laws of nature" on Taladas, without the cultural subtext that is hard-coded into so many Dragonlance products.

I do sometimes get a nagging feeling that some things are somehow "missing" from Taladas, but I can't put my finger on it. I'll have to listen to the rest of the show and see if there are any ideas that sync with my own thoughts.

One thing that has always seemed a bit weak is those elves that got washed over from Ansalon. They should be more similar to their cousins IMO. They should be a common theme. (The Astromundi Cluster does the same thing, with elves that link to the outside of that Spelljammer sphere that act unlike elves with that knowledge should.)

Havard wrote:I liked the summary of the Taladas Trilogy, but I am not really sure it made me want to go back to read those novels now. They seem to have much of the same problem that Dragons of Summer Flame did. I guess I prefer the spirit of Dragonlance from the Chronicles and the Twins Trilogy to some of the later and darker stuff. I am glad the discussion on the podcast kept things pretty light though! I have to admit, I did not participate in the drinking game this time, but I am sure it could be fun :D

I heard most of this about the Taladas Trilogy before I bought it, still bought it and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I would want to run a game in the era that Chris Pierson shows, but I think it would be great to extract the historical information and run a game that would eventually get to Chris Pierson's era (assuming that the PCs didn't spot the evil plot and deal with it). I think that would actually be more fun than blowing up Taladas and giving the PCs no agency to save the old setting they enjoy.

Havard wrote:To Trampas' question: Would I like to see something written up for Taladas with updated information from the Taladas trilogy? Absolutely. One of the other hosts mentioned that a world immediately after destruction and war can be a great place for adventuring. I think I would prefer it if it was presented in a light of optimism though. Reconstruction is more fun than post apocalyptic survival, at least to me.

I would like to see a full timeline for each nation, with GMs given multiple starting points for tabletop gaming (including the original Time of the Dragon era augmented by new-old facts from the novels.

Havard wrote:I was also fascinated by the talk of the unique Dragons and Draconians of Taladas. I would really be interested in seeing those Draconian rules you guys mentioned.

I need to hear this.

Havard wrote:Thanks again for a great podcast!

Thanks for recording it. But I think you need to repost it on iTunes, so that I can download it. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 am

I think I might have found a way to trick iTunes into redownloading this episode. But I won't know for sure until I've got time to put it back onto my iPod, so that I can listen to it.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands