What can 3rd edition do for Otherlands?

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What can 3rd edition do for Otherlands?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Ansalon has had excellent coverage with the MWP Dragonlance products. The great 3rd edition conversion of Taladas has been discussed elsewhere. And the DL community has just turned out the fantastic Adlatum Campaign Setting, that takes a few throwaway references and creates a new DL environment.

But what about Otherlands? It is a bit of a poor-man's Dragonlance, as it doesn't seem to have any "3rd edition love" yet.

At least Wizards of the Coast have given it a bit of love (of the free download variety):
  • DLR1 - Otherlands Free TSR 2nd edition AD&D accessory (detailing the lands of Chorane, Selasia and Watermere) - TSR 9278 (4.3 mb ZIP of PDF)
What do you think that 3rd edition could bring to Otherlands?

And, equally important, what do you think Otherlands could bring to 3rd edition?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What can 3rd edition do for Otherlands?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:43 am

Well, I gave you lot a get in first, but you've missed it! ;)
Big Mac wrote:What do you think that 3rd edition could bring to Otherlands?

And, equally important, what do you think Otherlands could bring to 3rd edition?
Firstly, what do I think that 3rd edition could bring to Otherlands?

I think it could bring the sort of reorganisation that DLCS and FRCS has. I think that this multi-headed hydra could be chopped up with each of the three sections being pushed out as its own campaign setting. I think that the 3rd edition style can include a races, classes, skills and feats section designed for that specific part of Krynn. I think that each of the three areas has specific needs for equipment and weapons and that they don't logically mix together. A geography section could obviously expand on the areas, and bring in some of the great maps that DL fans make. And we could get some new (or reused) monsters. The gods would probably need a local reboot. With all that going on, you might as well include a localised timeline that has stuff that fits in with the areas (i.e. Watermere could have the Great Tsunami instead of the Cataclysm).

Moving onto these three campaign settings here is what I see them being able to do for 3rd edition:

Watermere Campaign Setting - This has the opportunity to be the aquatic campaign setting for D&D. There are plenty of different aquatic creatures that have been created over the years. Watermere (and the surrounding areas) provide a framework for putting all of these creatures into a large underwater environment and allowing them to interact with each other (instead of with above-the-water-races). Entire maps of sea-beds could be created with races having territories. The DL story pits good against bad and the aquatic subtype can be found attached to both good and evil creatures. Merfolk would take the place of humans, but most other races could be given an equatic equivallent (or replaced with a non-DL race that fits the bill.

Chorane Campaign Setting - If Watermere gives us a chance to play below the sea, this is our first good chance to play in the snow. Chorane is a cold desert and would have some of the same "struggle for life" that a setting like Al-Qadim gave us. But the difference is that people don't generally have a pre-judged idea of artic culture, so the setting might not have so much baggage. Cultures like Inuit culture could be raided without people nit-picking so much. Again, Chorane could provide a welcome home for all the ice creatures and cold-able races.

Selasia Campaign Setting - This for me is the weak link of the three. It would still be fun to play in the "Irda Dragonlance Game", but I can't claim that nobody has done a jungle RPG before. I think what would need to sell this product, is a tie in with the other nearby islands. I think that an island jungle environment has a different feel to a land-locked jungle. Some of the same sorts of monsters would get used, but fishing and seamanship would be common skills. Adventuring parties would travel around by boat and you could get the sort of Spelljammer "travelling around" feel without the need for space or spelljamming helms.

So there is what I think these two things could do for each other. It is over to you now. What do you think they (WotC or MWP) could have done if Otherlands had been given the 3rd edition love it deserved?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

CamBanks
Goblin

Post by CamBanks » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:05 pm

We poached a lot of things from Otherlands—at least the things that weren't entirely silly—for Margaret Weis Productions' products. The Bestiary of Krynn has ursoi and funno from Chorane, for instance. Watermere gets mentioned in most places that talk about the sea elves. I bring up the Nzunta and Orughi in Races of Ansalon.

For the most part, though, they're really not vibrant enough as locations. Chorane, as of the Age of Mortals, is in a terrible civil war that may have wiped most of the people there out; it's why the ursoi left. And don't get me started on bolandi.

Cheers,
Cam
Designer | Managing Editor | Margaret Weis Productions
Burned-Out Mercenaries. Bad-Ass Gnomes. Haunted Swords. Ugly Heroines.Dragonlance: The Sellsword Now Available!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:11 pm

CamBanks wrote:We poached a lot of things from Otherlands—at least the things that weren't entirely silly—for Margaret Weis Productions' products. The Bestiary of Krynn has ursoi and funno from Chorane, for instance. Watermere gets mentioned in most places that talk about the sea elves. I bring up the Nzunta and Orughi in Races of Ansalon.
I love the MWP stuff. But if there was more DL fan stuff, I'd have it all.
CamBanks wrote:For the most part, though, they're really not vibrant enough as locations. Chorane, as of the Age of Mortals, is in a terrible civil war that may have wiped most of the people there out; it's why the ursoi left.
Do you think an undersea RPG could work. I don't recall seeing one before. Maybe Watermere could just be one iconic location in an undersea DL game.

Maybe something could be done with Chorane before the Age of Mortals. Wasn't it OK in Age of Dispair?
CamBanks wrote:And don't get me started on bolandi.
<must resist urge to start bolandi thread :P >

Hmm ogres, that swing from trees like Tarzan and act like kender. The do look a bit like someone created them with a bunch of dice and a monster creation table.

It looks like they are intended to be a gnome/kender substitute. I think designers were sometimes looking for a comedy-sidekick race back in the 2e days.

Return to “Taladas and Otherlands”