[Royodo] DL's Shattered Lands.

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Nael
Orc

[Royodo] DL's Shattered Lands.

Post by Nael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 am

Hello Everyone

I’m Nael and I am one of the poor saps who routinely likes to punish myself by taking on DL projects and trying to adapt DL to the ever changing editions. Don’t be to surprised I was banging my head against that wall with both 3 and 3.5 and its almost a passion for me. I was allowed, to help out with the Adlatum project and it was one of the best times I have ever had in my gaming career.

About the time we wrapped up Adlatum a discussion started about other ways to incorporate Oriental themes in DL. When I say Oriental you have to understand that Oriental does not mean Asian per se, but most of what was discussed revolved around Asian themes from Japan, Korea, Indonesia and China.

Many of these themes had already been incorporated into Adlatum, but not to the point where it was defining the setting. So me being me, I said “Why not I can do this!” and thus I’ve been tinkering with it ever since.

I first started by looking at our world map of Krynn and to be honest with Adlatum being added, it was starting to look like real estate on Krynn was about as prime as down town Manhattan. Then, I spotted a large expanse of mostly open water on the other side of Icewall glacier. I decided this would be the new home of my Oriental Land for DL.

I tried to think of a name that would fit with the Mythic nature of DL but I instead stared at that blankness and I couldn’t think of a name. So rather than dwell on that, I tried to figure out a history first. What made this place develop so differently than any other part of Krynn. I started thinking What if… it became my mantra for the entire development. Alas I till was not getting anywhere until a chance comment on the boards about all the islands that remain unnamed on the map of Krynn and the news about the possibility of a tsunami after an earthquake.

Royodo was born.

I saw it as a subcontinent stuck to Icewall that because of the glacier was cut off from Ansalon back in the early Age of Dreams. I also envisioned it as a land where mysticism and sorcery developed to a degree that lunar magic could not compete but I needed a reason why. And then I looked up and saw my answer. To the north and east sat the Isle of Gargath. So I figured, ok lets use the good ole’ cliché.. Blame the Grey Gem!

So now I had a good sized continent, with its own unique dominant magic, but how do I make it DL. How do I weave the complex river of time into this place that is cut off from everything else that makes DL the setting that I love. The answer came to me when I figured, well the Cataclysm punched a great big honking hole into the land but what happened to the other side of the world? While I was working on this thought I dropped a glass plate and it shattered and spread out across the floor. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I envisioned the land rising and then buckling and sinking into the sea leaving only a small peninsular subcontinent and a chain of large islands surrounding a shallow sea from which some ruins might be sticking out. With that, Royodo became The Shattered Lands of Royodo. And I got to work in earnest.

My first thought was, what races lived here. And I instantly said.. ELVES! Thoses from the Adlatum project know that elves are my particularly favorite race and I had to find a way to incorperate them in to an Oriental setting that was original but would also tie Royodo to the elves of Ansalon. And like the American Indians coming to the Americas I thought land bridge. But which Elf tribe would make the crossing. I decided on the Kagonesti elves.

I thought about the Elven wars of consolidation and the rise of Silvanos Goldeneye and I thought, What if some wilder elves fled the area and went so far south they ended up going north again. So the Argonesti are born. Wilder elves who inhabit the glaciers and live in geothermal hot springs. Almost like the hot spring good luck protector spirits of Japan.

I will talk about the next part of this little creation story tomorrow night.

Nael
Orc

Re: [Royodo] DL's Shattered Lands.

Post by Nael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 am

If you have any questions please ask Ill answer anything you ask to the best of my ability. just figured I would tell the story of athe Shattered Lands development while I was at it.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

Awesome stuff Nael! Welcome to the Piazza!!
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am

Welcome to the Piazza Nael! That was an interesting story about how the project came to be. I like the explanations to the location of Royodo and which races would live there. I don't think the Graygem needs to be seen as a cliche. Afterall it is only reasonable that it affected each continent in one way or another?

One thing I liked about Adlatum is that it had the "Dragonlance feel" even if it was something completely new. Do you have any particular thoughts to how you will accomplish the same with the Shattered Lands, especially since they will be combined with the Oriental flavour?

Will the Thanoi play any role in the setting? I have always been fascinated with those guys.

Which eras will the supplement cover?

How would a wizard from Ansalon react if he arrived in the Shattered Lands? Would Shattered Lands Sorcerers be seen as Renegades on Ansalon?

Just a few things to get you started off. I am sure others will pitch in as well :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

Sure!

Its about the same time frame as the Rise of Solamnia. maybe a little later.

Ok. well the Thanoi are the major Ogres of the South.. the Argonesti are constantly fighting them in battles both large ans small, they fit the same niche that Ogres do in Ansalon.

Im tie-ing it in by making Reorx Lost dragons (Ie the prototypes for the metalics and chromatics being stashed away here by Reorx who did not want them all to be lost to Paladine and Tak) these dragons are the new types detailed in the latest 4e dragonomocons

If a Wohs was to stumble upon a Sorcerer from Royodo.. It would not be good. Sorcerers in ansalon are rather passive. trying to exist without ticking the towers off. In the SL... they neither care nor fear the towers. Im not saying there are not WOHS, but you would be very surprised to see where the stronghold for that tradition is located. But yes. Renegade to the core. some Sorcerers would make Galen Dracos shudder at what they are capable of.

I have found a way to incorperate all the major PHB races into the Shattered lands with extensive use of the Shifter race.

While the SL does not have the Lances. they do have a legend of 7 great swords forged of Dragon Silver. so..

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 pm

One of the things I`m most interested/intrigued in is how you are going to build it as an "oriental" setting. Since I`m working on a "Shogunate of Roaches" for my Spelljammer campaign. You mentioned other Asian cultures in addition to Japanese so I`m very interested in how you will set that for the Elves and other races.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am

Ok figured I would give out a little bit more here and then hope for some more questions

One of the largest cultures in the Shattered Lands are the Hobgoblins.
In the North Hobgoblins rule as does the Church of Typha the mother of Nagas a.k.a Zeboim. Here the temper tantrum driven goddess is seen as the head of the Pantheon. The cultures is reminiscent of feudal Japan, with Diamyo's and Warlords who all pay homage to the Moonstone Throne and the emperor who happens to be resting his rear on it. So here we have Hobgoblin Samurai who rule with an Iron fist over much of the Northarn island. The Moonstone Empire is also the location for the Youro-no to. The Tower of Night. It is here that Nutari has brought the secrets of High Sorcery to Royodo and he jealously guards this secret, While entrance in to the tower is not limited to Hobgoblins, it is difficult and usually incorporated into the test of non hobgoblins to gain entrance. The grove of the Tower of Night resembles that of highly manicured zen garden. But Shadows make their home in this garden slowly eroding away the confidence of any who dare enter uninvited.

To the North and west of the Moonstone Empire is a wall built of blood sweat and millons fo dead slaves and bound with powerfull necromantic magic. This wall called the Oni Wall has a function much like the great wall of china. But rather than human barbarians it holds back wandering hordes of Minotaur and Oni that in the past repeatedly invaded the Empire proper.

The Dorian archipelago is a long arc of islands that cover the eastern border of the Shattered Lands. During the "war of souls era" Dorians, a tribe of semi barbaric human raiders fleeing the Isle of Gargath moved in displacing the humans and Hobgoblins of the various islands. They have a very Greek-Anatolian type culture. dotted with tiny city states and petty kingdoms they are one of the largest groups of pirates to call the Shallow Sea home.

(DH if you can link the Map up I would appreciate it!)

One of the greatest hazards of the Shallow Sea is a Giant Dragon Turtle that appeared soon after the theft of the World. She is quite frankly a mad hatter. The Kender of the Shallow sea who live upon constantly changing raft cites and towns that aimlessly drift on the Shallow Sea have adopted the crazy old turtle and built a thriving community on her Shell. The Dragon turtle sees her self as the mother to these "hatchlings" and demands tribute from passing ships in order to feed and delight her "young".Because of her great age she really just drifts in the current of the sea.

Integrating some 4e races into DL and the Shattered Lands.
one of the First issues I had was how to get Tieflings into Dl with out changing to much.
before the Shattering. and long before the Hobgob rise to power and creation of the moonstone empire and Older Human empire dominated almost all of Royodo From the Cape of Storms to the Argonesti glaciers the Dhan-Song Empire held sway. After much internal conflict the Priests took power and installed a divine emperor (Much like the King Priest) each successive King Priest came from one of the various temples, bringing that temple to Prominence. This brought tyranny to benevolence in its turn. One day a very ambitious Emperor cut a deal with Sargon (Sargonnas) for immortality and the ability to keep the empire under the control of the temple of Sargon. Sargon hatched a plan and using the Emperor had various noble swear oaths of loyalty bound with demonic pacts. Within a generation nearly all the noble houses had spawned Tieflings. A great war was waged and the tiefling armies successfully suppressed the other temples with the aid of Hobgoblin mercenaries (this is IMPORTANT)
The Tieflings abused their power and enslaved everyone around them. Then from a hidden marsh came the Kappa (Aquatic-Goblins) who brought the words of the Great Hydra, the Mother of Naga to the now enslaved Hobgoblins.
With her blessings the Hobgoblins over through the Tieflings forceing the ruling elite to scatter. those humans that could fled from the Hobgoblins. (this happens about the same time as Huma's dragon War) Now Tieflings are few but trace their lineage to this fallen Empire.

Dragonborn.
Well these guys have been problem children and Ill fill you more in later. lol

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Im using these cultures as models

Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thia, Philippine, Greek Anatolia, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Indian and Mongolian.

and I have taken some major liberties.. mixing and mashing as well.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 am

Love the Hobgoblin Empire and the Kenders on the Dragon Turtle, great ideas. Can`t wait to see more.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:26 am

Ok figured I would discuss something I talked a little about on the Nexus boards.

I had maybe 50 or so pm's concerning the Hengoyokai.
Im assuming that anyone who has had contact with Oriental Adventures have an idea at what these are.
I came to the decision that creating 5 or 6 subraces to make this non-homogeneous group would be a waste of effort and time since 4e basically gave them to me wrapped in a bow.

What I used.... Shifters....
I seemed to fit almost perfectly and all I would need would be to is increase the racial ability pool to create "archetypes" for each Hengoyokai type. I looked at the different cultures to find the source of my hengoyokai and the list boiled down to just a few. I was critisized a bit because of the names I chose, but unfortunately many of the creatures are found all across the asian world with slight variations on the name.

I had a list of I think 20 original but I have pared it down to 6 major branches.

Kitsune fox type
Ookami wolf type base shifter (Longtooth)
Rakasha tiger type base shifter(Razorclaw)
Neko/il-Bisse House cat like
Vannara: Ape type.
Pi-mao the Giant panda type

By using shifters I basically leave it open for pc's to create ANY type of hengoyokai that they fancy.

History of the Hegoyokai

Not a true GG race. Unlike races created by the passage of the GG the Hegoyokai where created by the first sorcerers of Royodo to be improved familiars. unfortunately (for the sorcerers)the energies of primordial sorcery where much more than the sorcerers could control and the Hengoyokai escaped from their control. Hegoyokai can interbreed but the offspring is usually one of the parents type. The only known hybryd type is when a Pi-mao and a Kitsune. The result is what looks very much like a Red Panda.

Unlike shifters in the PHB, Hegoyokai tend to look more like their animal type in coloration but can pass as feral humans except when using their racial abilities when they become even more like their animals types. All hegoyokai can use the Wildshape druid class feature 2 times per day. This power is limited to their animal form and back to the humanoid form. The same restrictions apply to the wildshape for as for druids in their animal shape form.

Some hengoyokai have multiple "clan type" names. This reflects the Hengoyokai clans that have diverged to some degree.

Hengoyokai align themselves in clans of like animal types, but this is not always so as their are some small isolated mixed hegoyokai villages.

Any questions?

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 am

I think that is a fantastic approach for shifters/Hengoyokai!! Bravo!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:18 am

Nael wrote:Hello Everyone
Great to see you over here, Nael.
Nael wrote:I’m Nael and I am one of the poor saps who routinely likes to punish myself by taking on DL projects and trying to adapt DL to the ever changing editions. Don’t be to surprised I was banging my head against that wall with both 3 and 3.5 and its almost a passion for me. I was allowed, to help out with the Adlatum project and it was one of the best times I have ever had in my gaming career.
Adlatum is awesome. I've been banging on about it for ages. I wish it had been put up for an ENnie Award.
Nael wrote:About the time we wrapped up Adlatum a discussion started about other ways to incorporate Oriental themes in DL. When I say Oriental you have to understand that Oriental does not mean Asian per se, but most of what was discussed revolved around Asian themes from Japan, Korea, Indonesia and China.

Many of these themes had already been incorporated into Adlatum, but not to the point where it was defining the setting. So me being me, I said “Why not I can do this!” and thus I’ve been tinkering with it ever since.

I first started by looking at our world map of Krynn and to be honest with Adlatum being added, it was starting to look like real estate on Krynn was about as prime as down town Manhattan. Then, I spotted a large expanse of mostly open water on the other side of Icewall glacier. I decided this would be the new home of my Oriental Land for DL.
That is interesting. I saw your ODL (Oriental Dragonlance Project) website ages before I even knew that Adlatum existed. I was always under the impression that you had put your idea on hold, to help them finish their idea. It is good to be corrected.
Nael wrote:I tried to think of a name that would fit with the Mythic nature of DL but I instead stared at that blankness and I couldn’t think of a name. So rather than dwell on that, I tried to figure out a history first. What made this place develop so differently than any other part of Krynn. I started thinking What if… it became my mantra for the entire development. Alas I till was not getting anywhere until a chance comment on the boards about all the islands that remain unnamed on the map of Krynn and the news about the possibility of a tsunami after an earthquake.

Royodo was born.
IIRC, there was a tsunami in Adlatum too (assuming I'm not mixing things up). I guess that some of the areas in Otherlands might have been similarly affected.
Nael wrote:I saw it as a subcontinent stuck to Icewall that because of the glacier was cut off from Ansalon back in the early Age of Dreams. I also envisioned it as a land where mysticism and sorcery developed to a degree that lunar magic could not compete but I needed a reason why. And then I looked up and saw my answer. To the north and east sat the Isle of Gargath. So I figured, ok lets use the good ole’ cliché.. Blame the Grey Gem!

So now I had a good sized continent, with its own unique dominant magic, but how do I make it DL. How do I weave the complex river of time into this place that is cut off from everything else that makes DL the setting that I love. The answer came to me when I figured, well the Cataclysm punched a great big honking hole into the land but what happened to the other side of the world? While I was working on this thought I dropped a glass plate and it shattered and spread out across the floor. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I envisioned the land rising and then buckling and sinking into the sea leaving only a small peninsular subcontinent and a chain of large islands surrounding a shallow sea from which some ruins might be sticking out. With that, Royodo became The Shattered Lands of Royodo. And I got to work in earnest.
Are their any new lands (throw up from the bottom of the sea) or did "the shattering"? only destroy and not create? I think that some land creation might be interesting as you could throw up an (oriental) undersea kingdom of elves, mermen or whatever and then trap the heart of the kingdom in a lake in the middle of a giant area of new land. It might also be an excuse to change "sea elves" into "marsh elves".

BTW: I remember the name changing a few times. I didn't realise I was watching the evolution of Dragonlance's second fanon campaign setting, at that time. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 am

We where pretty far along into Adlatum when I started ODL (the original name btw) and ya it evolved a lot in that time. the land that is now visiable above the shallow sea was thrown up a little, so there is that aspect as well. Beneath the shallow sea much of ancient Royodo is still intact. And there are Sea Elves who call it home. A rather small group to be exact. There are also Jungle elves (head hunters and cannibals)

the Dwarves are rather sparse. You have the Koro who are related to Gullys and the al-ʼYmān al-Kāml. A desert like tribe of dwarves who are the lone survivors of a religious war between Chemosh and Sirrion (who these dwarves see as Higher than Reorx) the al-ʼYmān al-Kāml are a hill dwarf type.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:41 am

Nael wrote:If you have any questions please ask Ill answer anything you ask to the best of my ability.
I've been following your project for a few years and posted about it in 2008, over in a thread called Other Oriental Adventure Websites in another thread called 3E OA without Rokugan and gave it a few namechecks in a thread called Oriental Adventures in other campaign settings (in our Oriental Adventures forum). But for some reason the conversation didn't really start until this year, with Havard's [Royodo] Websites thread.

I'm a bit out of the loop on what you have been up to in the last couple of years. I remember back in the ODL days, you were doing 3.0 or 3.5 stuff. And the mock cover of The Shattered Lands of Royodo shows a d20 System logo. But I think you said you were switching to 4e.

I'd like to be able to use Shattered Lands of Royodo alongside Adlatum and the MWP books. Is there any chance that you might do a 3.5 version after the 4e version?
Nael wrote:Ok. well the Thanoi are the major Ogres of the South.. the Argonesti are constantly fighting them in battles both large ans small, they fit the same niche that Ogres do in Ansalon.
Oriental Adventures uses Ogre Magi. Have you got any plans to replace them with something (maybe not Thanoi Magi) that does the same job?
Nael wrote:Im tie-ing it in by making Reorx Lost dragons (Ie the prototypes for the metalics and chromatics being stashed away here by Reorx who did not want them all to be lost to Paladine and Tak) these dragons are the new types detailed in the latest 4e dragonomocons

If a Wohs was to stumble upon a Sorcerer from Royodo.. It would not be good. Sorcerers in ansalon are rather passive. trying to exist without ticking the towers off. In the SL... they neither care nor fear the towers. Im not saying there are not WOHS, but you would be very surprised to see where the stronghold for that tradition is located. But yes. Renegade to the core. some Sorcerers would make Galen Dracos shudder at what they are capable of.

I have found a way to incorperate all the major PHB races into the Shattered lands with extensive use of the Shifter race.
Will you be Dragonlance-ising any of the Oriental Adventures spellcasting classes (Shukeja, Sohei or Wu Jen).

My guess would be that, if you did include Shukenja and Sohei, they would loose access to spells between The Cataclysm and The War of The Lance (or some time in that general era). How about the concepts of The Path and The Way? Do you see a religion that involves belief in The Holy Orders of the Stars as a group, rather than worship of individual gods or godesses?

Do you see your Royodo-Sorcerer as having Wu Jen-like taboos (perhaps associated with one of the three moons)?
Nael wrote:While the SL does not have the Lances. they do have a legend of 7 great swords forged of Dragon Silver. so..
I was reading something recently about weapons that were broken into seven parts. I don't suppose you could do that with these swords. But maybe they could be sunken below The Shallow Sea or hidden in Cloud Lake.

Are you going to do anything with Ki? I thought Ki power was something pretty interesting. I'd love to see classes gain Ki power bonuses the same way that the WoHS gain powers from the Moons of Magic. :twisted:
Nael wrote:One of the largest cultures in the Shattered Lands are the Hobgoblins.
Does this mean that humans are a minority and the races that are normally in the background are more important? If so, I think that a guy we have here, called Kodyax will love Shattered Lands. He is an expert on what Jeff Grubb called "animal headed humans" and has designed several different races for the Pathfinder Database.
Nael wrote:In the North Hobgoblins rule as does the Church of Typha the mother of Nagas a.k.a Zeboim. Here the temper tantrum driven goddess is seen as the head of the Pantheon. The cultures is reminiscent of feudal Japan, with Diamyo's and Warlords who all pay homage to the Moonstone Throne and the emperor who happens to be resting his rear on it. So here we have Hobgoblin Samurai who rule with an Iron fist over much of the Northarn island. The Moonstone Empire is also the location for the Youro-no to. The Tower of Night. It is here that Nutari has brought the secrets of High Sorcery to Royodo and he jealously guards this secret, While entrance in to the tower is not limited to Hobgoblins, it is difficult and usually incorporated into the test of non hobgoblins to gain entrance. The grove of the Tower of Night resembles that of highly manicured zen garden. But Shadows make their home in this garden slowly eroding away the confidence of any who dare enter uninvited.
I love Zeboim getting a bigger role than on Ansalon.

Are you saying that Nutari has somehow prevented Solinari and Lunitari from bringing their own versions of High Sorcery?
Nael wrote:To the North and west of the Moonstone Empire is a wall built of blood sweat and millons fo dead slaves and bound with powerfull necromantic magic. This wall called the Oni Wall has a function much like the great wall of china. But rather than human barbarians it holds back wandering hordes of Minotaur and Oni that in the past repeatedly invaded the Empire proper.
So it is a Wall of Bones? Given the flooding, I would guess that a lot of people know how to sail boats. What is to stop them sailing around the end of the island to get past the wall? Have you created another "control mechanism" or have you done that deliberately, to make seafarers have an important role in the setting?
Nael wrote:The Dorian archipelago is a long arc of islands that cover the eastern border of the Shattered Lands. During the "war of souls era" Dorians, a tribe of semi barbaric human raiders fleeing the Isle of Gargath moved in displacing the humans and Hobgoblins of the various islands. They have a very Greek-Anatolian type culture. dotted with tiny city states and petty kingdoms they are one of the largest groups of pirates to call the Shallow Sea home.
Hmm. So does the Greek-Anatolian culture show up in ship and building design or were you just describing things like government?
Nael wrote:(DH if you can link the Map up I would appreciate it!)
I tried that (in one of my Shattered Lands posts) two years, back, but the map it too tall for the forum to handle*. However, I can throw down a link to the Shattered Lands of Royodo map. We have a guy here called Dave L, who loves makng hex maps. Maybe he can make a hex map of Royodo for you.

* = I would recommend putting pictures up on Flickr, as that automatically generates medium, small and thumbnail images that you can then use in places where the full size pictured do not load.
Nael wrote:One of the greatest hazards of the Shallow Sea is a Giant Dragon Turtle that appeared soon after the theft of the World. She is quite frankly a mad hatter. The Kender of the Shallow sea who live upon constantly changing raft cites and towns that aimlessly drift on the Shallow Sea have adopted the crazy old turtle and built a thriving community on her Shell. The Dragon turtle sees her self as the mother to these "hatchlings" and demands tribute from passing ships in order to feed and delight her "young".Because of her great age she really just drifts in the current of the sea.
I've just realised this is a bit like a light hearted version of The Spelljammer! :lol:
Nael wrote:Integrating some 4e races into DL and the Shattered Lands.
one of the First issues I had was how to get Tieflings into Dl with out changing to much.
They were in D&D, from back in the days of 2e.
Nael wrote:before the Shattering. and long before the Hobgob rise to power and creation of the moonstone empire and Older Human empire dominated almost all of Royodo From the Cape of Storms to the Argonesti glaciers the Dhan-Song Empire held sway. After much internal conflict the Priests took power and installed a divine emperor (Much like the King Priest) each successive King Priest came from one of the various temples, bringing that temple to Prominence. This brought tyranny to benevolence in its turn. One day a very ambitious Emperor cut a deal with Sargon (Sargonnas) for immortality and the ability to keep the empire under the control of the temple of Sargon. Sargon hatched a plan and using the Emperor had various noble swear oaths of loyalty bound with demonic pacts. Within a generation nearly all the noble houses had spawned Tieflings. A great war was waged and the tiefling armies successfully suppressed the other temples with the aid of Hobgoblin mercenaries (this is IMPORTANT)
The Tieflings abused their power and enslaved everyone around them. Then from a hidden marsh came the Kappa (Aquatic-Goblins) who brought the words of the Great Hydra, the Mother of Naga to the now enslaved Hobgoblins.
With her blessings the Hobgoblins over through the Tieflings forceing the ruling elite to scatter. those humans that could fled from the Hobgoblins. (this happens about the same time as Huma's dragon War) Now Tieflings are few but trace their lineage to this fallen Empire.
So, are you changing them from being "planetouched"?
Nael wrote:Dragonborn.
Well these guys have been problem children and Ill fill you more in later. lol
Sure, dragonborn are just draconians (...made from your Royodo dragons, of course).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 am

Looks like you posted this, while I was writing another post. :?
Nael wrote:We where pretty far along into Adlatum when I started ODL (the original name btw) and ya it evolved a lot in that time. the land that is now visiable above the shallow sea was thrown up a little, so there is that aspect as well. Beneath the shallow sea much of ancient Royodo is still intact. And there are Sea Elves who call it home. A rather small group to be exact. There are also Jungle elves (head hunters and cannibals)
New types of elves sound fun. There are several types of elves (including Jungle Elves) on the Hypertext d20 SRD's Variant Race Rules page. It sounds like you have done the Arctic Elves, but I'd love to see others get a DL-makeover.
Nael wrote:the Dwarves are rather sparse. You have the Koro who are related to Gullys and the al-ʼYmān al-Kāml. A desert like tribe of dwarves who are the lone survivors of a religious war between Chemosh and Sirrion (who these dwarves see as Higher than Reorx) the al-ʼYmān al-Kāml are a hill dwarf type.
Have you got any aquatic dwarves, to dig out mines at the bottom of The Shallow Sea?
I was struggling to find that yesterday, and when I finally found it, you posted it again. :lol:

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 am

Well Ill answer a few of these lets start with the Wu-Jen
Basically Wu-Jen are Warlocks who have a Lunar pact with one of the 3 moon gods. They take the place of Wizards for the most part in Shattered Lands. Real Wizards ie WOHS type are basicly only found in the Tower of Night. and they are Nutaris babies.
Im not trying to recreate the wheel. Im trying to adapt whats out there to my usage. Ambient Warlocks exist as well and they have the other pacts available to them. Sorcerers exist too. also as ambient or primal spell casters.

I am reevaluating this as we speak with others ideas and suggestions.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 am

Shifters as a measure of handling hengoyokai...interesting idea, to say the least. I was initially fascinated with the Shifters of Eberron but then the deeper I looked into them, the less I liked them. But my reasoning for this was more because they did not go far enough for my tastes. Which is another reasons I started making furry races that suited my tastes more than what I saw. But that's just me, your mileage may certainly differ from mine.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 am

Y I figure that the shifter with only minor modification will fit the bill perfectly. If feats are taken (racial) that increase their shapeshifting as well.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Nael wrote:Well Ill answer a few of these lets start with the Wu-Jen
Basically Wu-Jen are Warlocks who have a Lunar pact with one of the 3 moon gods. They take the place of Wizards for the most part in Shattered Lands.
I like that set up. Is there any historical comparison with something like the "Magic Defends Itself" part of DL history, where three wizards got pulled away from Ansalon and taught a better way to do magic?
Nael wrote:Real Wizards ie WOHS type are basicly only found in the Tower of Night. and they are Nutaris babies.
I know that Talidas has got a history of some groups that sailed across the sea. So I'm guessing there is a back-story for the Wizards of the Black Robes going there.

Are they a recent arrival? Or have they been there for some time? (I'm planning to use Shattered Lands in the general era of 358 AC - so, if your base era is after that, I might be needing to rewind time and remove a few recent things.)

What is the (general) attitude of the WoHS to the natives?

Are they keeping to themselves (and not interfering with the Warlock/Wu-Jen culture)?

Or are they working to spread the Wizards of High Sorcery rules to The Shattered Lands (perhaps in a modified way that sits better with the oriental honour system)?

If the WoHS are meddlesome, are they middling equally with good, neutral and evil Wu-Jens or are they using the absence of White Robes and Red Robes to create an altered High Sorcery system that favours their own moon?
Nael wrote:Im not trying to recreate the wheel. Im trying to adapt whats out there to my usage. Ambient Warlocks exist as well and they have the other pacts available to them. Sorcerers exist too. also as ambient or primal spell casters.
Adaptation sounds great to me. It should make your stuff more compatible with existing stuff.

I know that in Ansalon, some of these combinations were not available before or after certain points in the timeline. Are you going to have "Warlocks of the Moons" (for want of a better term) and "Moonless Warlocks" running in the same era?

Are the "Moonless Warlocks" going to work like Ansalon's Renegade Wizards (from the point of view of never being connected with a moon)?

Is the logic for your sorcerers going to parallel mainline DL, or are you going to bring them in earlier or later than Ansalon had them?
Nael wrote:I am reevaluating this as we speak with others ideas and suggestions.
I've been really excited at seeing this evolve, ever since I first saw your work.
Kodyax wrote:Shifters as a measure of handling hengoyokai...interesting idea, to say the least. I was initially fascinated with the Shifters of Eberron but then the deeper I looked into them, the less I liked them. But my reasoning for this was more because they did not go far enough for my tastes. Which is another reasons I started making furry races that suited my tastes more than what I saw. But that's just me, your mileage may certainly differ from mine.
Do you think there are any of your own races, that might fit in well with Shattered Lands?

Are you familiar with DL's Shadowpeople (which are similar to SJ's Hadozee)? I think that is something where you could look at both Shadowpeople and Hadozee (and maybe the third version - which I believe was done for a SF RPG) and come up with another creature with the same basic form, but a diferent backstory.

How about changing the Shadowpeople/Hadozee gliding ability into something that could be more useful in the seas of the Shattered Lands? Maybe Shattered Lands could have a "gliding monkey" race, that works more like a penguin (from an ecological niche point-of-view)? It could trade (some or all of) its gliding for the ability to "fly under water" and could have the ability to hold its breath for long periods of time.
Nael wrote:Y I figure that the shifter with only minor modification will fit the bill perfectly. If feats are taken (racial) that increase their shapeshifting as well.
What do you think could be done with a shifter, that might give it a more Dragonlance-ish or oriental feel?

Given that lycanthropy is associated with moons, do you think it might be worth aligning good, neutral and evil shifters with one of the three Moons of Magic?

Do you think it might be worth adding the High Sanction/Low Sanction and Alignment/Night of the Eye mechanics to Eberron's +2 shifter bonus?

Do you think it might be worth letting evil shifters see Nuitari? Low Light Vision works with starlight, as well as moonlight, but the ability to see the light of Nuitari illuminating things could add flavour to a PC's actions.

Do you think it might be worth splitting the six Shifter Traits between the three moons (two traits each) and forcing shifters who switch alignment to choose a new Shifter Trait?

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Ok after getting the Dark Sun books. Im going to see what I like and maybe ... incorporate some things.. like the themes.. it might sove some of the complications I have run into.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Dark Sun? Interesting to think that you are going to use such a "dry" setting to solve the problems of a "wet" one.

Nael
Orc

Post by Nael » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 am

has to do with how the Themes are set up... might make some things more interesting and setting specific

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 am

I`ve only glanced at the themes so far but from what I`ve seen I think they have great potential.

Return to “Taladas and Otherlands”