Hollow Krynn

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Hollow Krynn

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Over at the Dragonlance Nexus forums, someone by the name of Boneguard is trying to adapt the Hollow World concept, to create something similar inside the Dragonlance world.

I've long thought that if Hollow World had been optimised for Mystara, but designed to be adaptable to other campaign settings, it might have increased the fanbase. And an increased fanbase makes for a product line that makes enough money to go on for longer. I'll be interested to see how different Hollow Krynn is from the original Hollow World.

I figure that the most obvious differences are going to be:
  • A lack of polar openings,
  • Two fairly large areas of damage to the crust from the Cataclysm,
  • Dragonlance gods instead of Mystaran immortals,
  • A different set of archived races and
  • Dragonlace's magical system.
There must be other, less obvious implications, and even if I don't use this myself, I think it will be fun to follow this and see how it evolves. :mrgreen:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Hollow Krynn

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 pm

It will be interesting to see where they take this! :)

The Hollow World boxed set was written so that the Hollow World could be used with other settings, though the most important parts of the boxed set are really well tied to the the Gazetteers and what became the Mystara setting.

So beyond the framework of a Hollow planet similar to Mystara's, it would IMO make sense to develop cultures and races that are unique to Krynn rather than to use those from Mystara's Hollow World. It looks like that is what Boneguard is working on, so that makes sense.

What I liked about Adlatum was that while it presented a new subsetting for Krynn, it still had many elements that preserved a Krynnish atmosphere. A Hollow Krynn would be exotic, but should still preserve something that makes it recognizable as part of the Dragonlance setting IMHO.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Havard wrote:It will be interesting to see where they take this! :)

The Hollow World boxed set was written so that the Hollow World could be used with other settings, though the most important parts of the boxed set are really well tied to the the Gazetteers and what became the Mystara setting.
If Hollow World had been re-released to support a 3rd Edition Mystara Campaign Setting line I think that WotC would have released a Web Enhancement that allowed you to convert it to another campaign setting. I think they probably would have gone with Forgotten Realms*, but I think they would have tried harder to add in support for other worlds.

* = Now I'm thinking of an inverted-Abeir as a Hollow Realms. :idea:

EDIT: I've started a Hollow Realms thread in the Forgotten Realms forum.
Havard wrote:So beyond the framework of a Hollow planet similar to Mystara's, it would IMO make sense to develop cultures and races that are unique to Krynn rather than to use those from Mystara's Hollow World. It looks like that is what Boneguard is working on, so that makes sense.
From what I can see, Boneguard is trying to preserve the pre-Greygem races. That pushes some things back to the start of the Age of Dreams. I think that could be very interesting as it is almost like going back in time.

Boneguard is going for High Ogres, which puts the fork back to about 6,000 PC and no native dwarves, which pushes things back to before 4,000 PC. I think that is going to create a radically different background for the races inside Hollow Krynn.
Havard wrote:What I liked about Adlatum was that while it presented a new subsetting for Krynn, it still had many elements that preserved a Krynnish atmosphere. A Hollow Krynn would be exotic, but should still preserve something that makes it recognizable as part of the Dragonlance setting IMHO.
I loved Adlatum for those very reasons. It is like someone took apart the Dragonlance setting, as if it was LEGO and then built something different with the same building blocks. It is the same and yet different. I've said many a time that it should have got an ENnie Award. It has set a fairly high bar for other Dragonlance projects.

If Hollow Krynn can pull off the same thing, it will be awesome. And just as, the Shattered Lands of Royodo took inspiration from Oriental Adventures (but removed Kara-Tur) this project is also taking inspiration from another D&D product that is already a known success. So I think that this could work really well if done the right way.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Considering this thread is about my baby, I figured, might as well join and answer any questions you may have.

Currently, I'm proceeding to work out my timeline in order to have a clearer idea of what happened. Currently I have 2 Ages (mostly) covered (Creation to about 6 000 PC). The Next Age will involved the Arrival of the Lizardfolk, the gnomes, and the minotaur as well as the founding of a few more nations and The 2nd Ogre War.

Any CC, suggestion, comment, questions are welcome.

Ps.
I'll also repost the question I asked there, concerning some of the events for my time line.
I'm working on my Timeline and I would need help here since I'm not 100% in post-383Ac era.

This is what I was able to gather from the Lexicon and these events do have an impact in Hollow Krynn.
Age of Despair (1AC - 383 AC)
383 Second Cataclysm/Chaos War
Divine Magic left

Age of Mortals (384 AC – 435 AC)
388 discovery ofMysticism
403 discovery ofSorcery
418Mysticism/Sorcery continue to fail
421 death ofTakhasis/Paladine made mortal
422 Divine Magic returns

My Questions are;
1) Did Arcane magic 'left' in 383 and return in 422 at the same time as Divine Magic when Takhisis stole Krynn and return after the War of Souls?
2) When did Mysticism/Sorcery began to fail? Did they return in 422 at the same time as Divine Magic?
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Hey Boneguard! Welcome to The Piazza! :)
Boneguard wrote:My Questions are;
1) Did Arcane magic 'left' in 383 and return in 422 at the same time as Divine Magic when Takhisis stole Krynn and return after the War of Souls?
2) When did Mysticism/Sorcery began to fail? Did they return in 422 at the same time as Divine Magic?
I am no expert on these things, but it seems likely that Arcane and Divine Magic disappeared from Krynn at the same time. Since Krynn's Arcane magic comes from the Moons, who are actually Gods, these were left behind with the rest of the Gods when Krynn was stolen by Takhisis.

I didn't know that Mysticism and Sorcery began to fail later on, but I haven't read anything after the War of Souls Trilogy. While I enjoyed the War of Souls books, there was an underlying "lets get back to conform to the D&D rules" undercurrent in the books, which was annoying. This must have continued in later works as well then if they are removing the last bit of unique Age of Mortals era magic.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Havard wrote:Hey Boneguard! Welcome to The Piazza! :)
Thank you.

Hopefully as the project progress, my Hollow Krynn will generate interest to both Dragonlance and Hollow World.
Havard wrote:I am no expert on these things, but it seems likely that Arcane and Divine Magic disappeared from Krynn at the same time. Since Krynn's Arcane magic comes from the Moons, who are actually Gods, these were left behind with the rest of the Gods when Krynn was stolen by Takhisis.
hat's what I also assumed was the case. However I wanted to make sure rather then just assume. That way my Timeline is that much closer to the official timeline.

Havard wrote:I didn't know that Mysticism and Sorcery began to fail later on, but I haven't read anything after the War of Souls Trilogy. While I enjoyed the War of Souls books, there was an underlying "lets get back to conform to the D&D rules" undercurrent in the books, which was annoying. This must have continued in later works as well then if they are removing the last bit of unique Age of Mortals era magic.

-Havard
Dang, and this was the thorniest piece in all this. I know what you mean, that 'levelling effect' is something I noticed too -in every D&D setting actually- and remove some of the uniqueness of some great setting.

Oh well. Maybe someone will be able to answer, if not, I'll wing it.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

So here's another little thorny issue where imput would be appreciated

As I was doing "refresher" research for my Treatise (another porject), I've notice that the 2nd edition Minotaur of Taladas sourcebook had recon the Minotaur 'birth'. They were now created by the Greystone in 4100PC (1st edition Dragonlance Adventure and 2nd Tale of the lance implied an "Earlier creation").

I've already put the birth of the Minotaur around 5000PC-4900PC (about the same time as gnome actually). My 2 option are:
1) Redo my timeline and include this newly discovered fact;
2) Keep my timeline as Sargonnas created a race of (proto)Minotaur about a 1000 year before the recorded birth of the minotaur in 4100PC which was then brought into Hollow Krynn. This would allow me to tweek the minotaur race as I wanted (make them shorter etc.)...essentially having the -To quote Ferratus- Mini-taurs.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 am

Boneguard wrote:Considering this thread is about my baby, I figured, might as well join and answer any questions you may have.
Hi Boneguard. How did you get such a high post count without me noticing you had signed up? :? :P Welcome to The Piazza! :cool:
Boneguard wrote:Currently, I'm proceeding to work out my timeline in order to have a clearer idea of what happened. Currently I have 2 Ages (mostly) covered (Creation to about 6 000 PC). The Next Age will involved the Arrival of the Lizardfolk, the gnomes, and the minotaur as well as the founding of a few more nations and The 2nd Ogre War.

Any CC, suggestion, comment, questions are welcome.
One comment I would offer is that in the Spelljammer campaign setting, lizardfolk are obsessed with putting eggs closer to the sun (to make them evolve into more intelligent lizardfolk or somesuch). I'm not sure if it is supposed to be the heat of the sun or the proximity of the sun that mosts interstes the spacefaring lizardfolk, but (like most spacefarers) they think they are superior to groundlings of their own race. If it is the proximity that does the trick, perhaps your lizardfolk could build hatcheries on mountain tops and maybe use greenhouses to concentrate the heat of the sun.

If you did something like that, it might be an excuse to use lizardfolk away from the usual swamp environment, and that could give you a unique way to use them in Hollow Krynn. Perhaps that could lead to some interesting conflicts with them and other races that like mountain tops. There could be dragon raids on lizardfolk "nests". Or perhaps some lizardfolk could make an alliance with a friendly dragon and together they could protect the dragon's eggs, as well as their own eggs.

Or perhaps you could put lizardfolk in swamps, but have them go on an epic march to lay eggs in the "holy mountains" or somesuch. (This could be a bit similar to the way that some fish swim from the sea up a river to spawn.)
Boneguard wrote:My Questions are;
Sadly, this is not the best era for me. As a Spelljammer fan, the "Takhisis Steals the World" plot is a bit of a campaign wrecker for Krynnspace. Dragonhelm came up with some great ideas in is guide to Krynnspace, but for me, it would be logistically much much simpler to just play in the era before all that stuff happens. So if I use Hollow Krynn, I'd be most likely to go with the War of the Lance era.

Do you own a copy of Age of Mortals? I wasn't intending to buy it, but I saw a copy cheap (although not as cheap as you can get it in the US right now) and decided to buy it just in case I could use it as "one possible future" (like in The Terminator). That should be able to tell you what happened to Arcane and Divine magic. Chapter Two - Magic probably will solve your problems. I actually don't want to read too much of it, as it is going to spoil Dragonlance novels that I've not read yet, but it does confirm that both arcane and divine magic failed.

It then says that Goldmoon discovered how to perform magic powered from the heart, instead of by the gods (Mysticism) and how she built the Citadel of Light as a place where people could learn this new divine form of spellcasting. I don't know what is supposed to have happened across in Taladas, so I don't know if there is an alternative model to compare this too.

Mysticism was discovered five years after the disappearance of the gods, according to AoM page 53. The Academy of Sorcery was inspired by the Citadel of Light and came later. I have not found the exact date yet. But both these new types of magic seem to have come from discoveries. There is no reason why they could not get discovered faster or slower on another part of the surface of Krynn...or on Krynn's inner surface or any sort of "underdark"-like area that might be on the outer or inner sides of the "gravity plane".

Actually, I see no reason why those types of magic could not have been discovered back after the original cataclysm (when the gods first vanished) or why they could not have been discovered even earlier. One possible reason could be that the gods want to suppress magic that does not come from them, but I don't know enough about Dragonlance to know if that is the case. One thing is for sure. You wouldn't have Goldmoon or the Shadow Sorcerer in Hollow Krynn, so you need a different delivery method. And Taladas would be the logical place to see how to do this stuff differently (but still in a DL-ish way).

We do know that dragons kept their magical powers (the Age of Mortals book says so). So perhaps this inner magic has always been there and people just didn't look at it. Maybe if you didn't have the rebirth of godly magic after the War of the Lance, that would allow you to have Mysticism get discovered in Hollow Krynn earlier. Or maybe you could replace the fake religions of Ansalon with a working mystic-religion shortly after the first Cataclysm.

You have a lot of options here. Each one will drastically change your options, so perhaps it would be better to work out an outline of what you want to achive, so that you can build the history that makes your chosen setting options work the way you want them too.

There are rules on pages 55-56 of Age of Mortals about "leeching" power from magic items. This process temporarily drains power out of magic items and gives it to a spellcaster for spellcasting. There are three feats for this, so spellcasters would need to learn some sort of method before they could leech power.

I wonder if you could have some sort of different types of leeching for the Hollow Krynn. There were rules back in 2nd Edition about priests, lay-priests and workshippers that gave each lay-priest and priest some sort of value that was a multiple of the value of a single worshipper. Perhaps, if each person had a soul that could be leeched to provide a single point of "potential" (or maybe one point of potential, per class level) a cleric could need to build up a following to be able to "collect" enough potential energy to power up all of their spells. (And if they didn't have a ton-of-followers, maybe they could power up all their spells, but it would take them many days to build up the required potential energy before they were totally topped up. Then they would be totally fine until forced to do spellcasting, when they would be in the same situation of not having instant spell replacements.)
Boneguard wrote:
Havard wrote:I didn't know that Mysticism and Sorcery began to fail later on, but I haven't read anything after the War of Souls Trilogy. While I enjoyed the War of Souls books, there was an underlying "lets get back to conform to the D&D rules" undercurrent in the books, which was annoying. This must have continued in later works as well then if they are removing the last bit of unique Age of Mortals era magic.
Dang, and this was the thorniest piece in all this. I know what you mean, that 'levelling effect' is something I noticed too -in every D&D setting actually- and remove some of the uniqueness of some great setting.

Oh well. Maybe someone will be able to answer, if not, I'll wing it.
I know that TSR went with a different type of roleplaying system for Dragonlance (Dragonlance SAGA). I wonder if the Age of Mortals-era changes in the novels were partially down to making the world "SAGA-system compatible" and the later fading of Mysticism and Sorcery, were down to SAGA being abandoned and the world needing to "return to D&D tropes" because SAGA had been "lablled" as "wrong" by someone upstairs. I did hear rumours that at one point, the Dragonlance designers were officially banned from talking to Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman for advice on how to do stuff. I'm not sure of the exact truth, but I do know that there was some stupid stuff done by people that got in the way of good storytelling (and that some designers did cool stuff under restrictive circumstances). Perhaps this was Hickman and Weis's attempt to give the future of Dragonlance some sort of "Bobby Ewing reboot" that makes the SAGA stuff true, but brings the story around in a circle. :?

I think that you need to have parallel events in Hollow Krynn, but you don't necessarily need to have parallel results. You could possibly take the same timeline decision points and do totally different things. For example, the Cataclysm is seen as a bad thing, but perhaps Hollow Krynn was locked away from the gods and the hole in the world allowed magic to leak in (or maybe it allowed souls to leak out and get to the afterlife).

The possibilities are endless. Legends of the Twins would probably be another book worth consulting, as that has a chapter about Alternate Krynns. And Hollow Krynn has got to be an Alternate Krynn with a Cherry on the Top! You can't get more alternative than to take a subsetting of Mystara and give it a DL reboot! ;)

One thing I would ask is: How similar to the them of (Mystara's) Hollow World do you need to get? If there are specific elements from Hollow World that are must-haves (aside from the world-within-a-world theme) then working out a list of what they need to be might help you tweak the DL themes in order to create something that works.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 am

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:Considering this thread is about my baby, I figured, might as well join and answer any questions you may have.
Hi Boneguard. How did you get such a high post count without me noticing you had signed up? :? :P Welcome to The Piazza! :cool:
Stealth posting :p

Actually posting a bit here and there, Plus I got my Savant, female scro and Ravenloft Dwarven Domain thread...which helps :)

Big Mac wrote: One comment I would offer is that in the Spelljammer campaign setting, lizardfolk are obsessed with putting eggs closer to the sun (to make them evolve into more intelligent lizardfolk or somesuch). I'm not sure if it is supposed to be the heat of the sun or the proximity of the sun that mosts interstes the spacefaring lizardfolk, but (like most spacefarers) they think they are superior to groundlings of their own race. If it is the proximity that does the trick, perhaps your lizardfolk could build hatcheries on mountain tops and maybe use greenhouses to concentrate the heat of the sun.

If you did something like that, it might be an excuse to use lizardfolk away from the usual swamp environment, and that could give you a unique way to use them in Hollow Krynn. Perhaps that could lead to some interesting conflicts with them and other races that like mountain tops. There could be dragon raids on lizardfolk "nests". Or perhaps some lizardfolk could make an alliance with a friendly dragon and together they could protect the dragon's eggs, as well as their own eggs.

Or perhaps you could put lizardfolk in swamps, but have them go on an epic march to lay eggs in the "holy mountains" or somesuch. (This could be a bit similar to the way that some fish swim from the sea up a river to spawn.)
That is an idea, and could work. I stole the Aztec Lizardman Idea from War Hammer, but That could be a way to increase the population and add diversity to the genepool.
Big Mac wrote: Do you own a copy of Age of Mortals?
Yeah I have a copy somewhere, haven't read it though :(
Big Mac wrote: One thing I would ask is: How similar to the them of (Mystara's) Hollow World do you need to get? If there are specific elements from Hollow World that are must-haves (aside from the world-within-a-world theme) then working out a list of what they need to be might help you tweak the DL themes in order to create something that works.
The similarity with Mystara's Hollow are:
-The preservation Theme.
-The Floating Islands and flying gnomes.
-The Eternal (blue) Sun.

From Taladas, I'm taking the fact that the Gods were present again shortly after the Cataclysm as the were innocent victims of the Kingpriest.

As my thread in DLNexus indicate, the number of nation are fairly limited -as well as the 'Earth' equivalent- Ogre and Minotaur Wars are prevelent rather then Dragon Wars...I really need to finish my basic timeline though.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Just an off-the-cuff idea here... What if Krynn had orcs at one time and they were moved to the Hollow World? :o This could be a way to have a different form of conflict in the Kyrnn HW.

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Fri May 31, 2013 11:05 pm

maddog wrote:Just an off-the-cuff idea here... What if Krynn had orcs at one time and they were moved to the Hollow World? :o This could be a way to have a different form of conflict in the Kyrnn HW.

--Ray.
That could be an option. Obviously Lizardfolk are more civilized in Hollow Krynn and orc would make thing interesting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 am

Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:One comment I would offer is that in the Spelljammer campaign setting, lizardfolk are obsessed with putting eggs closer to the sun (to make them evolve into more intelligent lizardfolk or somesuch). I'm not sure if it is supposed to be the heat of the sun or the proximity of the sun that mosts interstes the spacefaring lizardfolk, but (like most spacefarers) they think they are superior to groundlings of their own race. If it is the proximity that does the trick, perhaps your lizardfolk could build hatcheries on mountain tops and maybe use greenhouses to concentrate the heat of the sun.

That is an idea, and could work. I stole the Aztec Lizardman Idea from War Hammer, but That could be a way to increase the population and add diversity to the genepool.
Dragons of Krynn actually has rules about creatures that are related to dragons. So you could maybe mix those in with lizardfolk and have an entire area that is formed of dragon-touched races.

And if you want Aztec lizardfolk, look to The Piazza's Maztica forum for inspiration, beyond what you get with the Azcan civilisation in Hollow World.
Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Do you own a copy of Age of Mortals?
Yeah I have a copy somewhere, haven't read it though :(
It is worth having a skim, if you want to be able to get Hollow Krynn to work after Takhisis steals Krynn.
Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote: One thing I would ask is: How similar to the them of (Mystara's) Hollow World do you need to get? If there are specific elements from Hollow World that are must-haves (aside from the world-within-a-world theme) then working out a list of what they need to be might help you tweak the DL themes in order to create something that works.
The similarity with Mystara's Hollow are:
-The preservation Theme.
There have been some interesting things in the past of Dragonlance. This sounds like a great opportunity to raid things from books set in the past, like the Legend of Huma, and use them together. Have you made a list of things that might be preserved yet?
Boneguard wrote:-The Floating Islands and flying gnomes.
They sound awesome. Are you using some of the ones that vanished from the outer part of Krynn? I was thinking of grabbing at least one of these and using it in Krynnspace. (Jean Rabe really missed a trick there.)
Boneguard wrote:-The Eternal (blue) Sun.
Blue? Is there a reason for blue? The moons are white, red and black. I would have thought that red would be a good colour for a sun.
Boneguard wrote:From Taladas, I'm taking the fact that the Gods were present again shortly after the Cataclysm as the were innocent victims of the Kingpriest.
Have you looked to see how the Adlatum team dealt with that? They might have already done the groundwork for you.

The gods caused true clerics to vanish from the world, just before the Cataclysm. Previously, I've taken that as the clerics going directly onto the afterlife. But I wonder if you could use that as a preservation event. Perhaps a number of clerics could "arrive" from nowhere (actually from Ansalon), just prior to the Cataclysm and help save people after the disaster hits.

If you are going to teleport over the innocent victims of the Kingpriest, would that include people killed in the events leading up to the Cataclysm, or just the people vaporised when the asteroid hit Krynn?

What with Dragonlance having strong themes of "balance" I'm guessing that you are going to need to preserve evil groups (and neutral groups) as much as you preserve good groups.

Maybe you should scan though the entire Dragonlance timeline and look for any sort of event that destroys a lot of people. How about that time when Fistandantilus got involved in a dwarf vs dwarf war?

Now we have a special subforum for subsettings (and fan subsettings) of Dragonlance, you could maybe start other threads that have a "[Hollow Krynn]" tag in the title and work on different aspects of the project.
Boneguard wrote:As my thread in DLNexus indicate, the number of nation are fairly limited -as well as the 'Earth' equivalent- Ogre and Minotaur Wars are prevelent rather then Dragon Wars...I really need to finish my basic timeline though.
A "[Hollow Krynn] Timeline" thread would be useful. And you could always go back and edit the first post to update it. Have you seen how to make links to individual posts yet? I did that in the first post of my Spelljammer Acronyms thread and that allowed me to use that thread as an index. I'm thinking that if you did do a "[Hollow Krynn] Timeline" thread, you could give the events names (just like in the original Ansalon timeline) and have those names link to later posts in the same thread, that provide more detail about that event. (That trick should work with Dragonlance Nexus' vBulletin forum, as well as The Piazza's phpBB forum, although each one works slightly differently.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am

Boneguard wrote:
maddog wrote:Just an off-the-cuff idea here... What if Krynn had orcs at one time and they were moved to the Hollow World? :o This could be a way to have a different form of conflict in the Kyrnn HW.

--Ray.
That could be an option. Obviously Lizardfolk are more civilized in Hollow Krynn and orc would make thing interesting.
Orcs? On Krynn? I've seen a few Dragonlance purists that dislike any mention of orcs. (I actually wonder about how to do the First Unhuman War in Krynnspace...as it is a bit difficult to do a war when one side is not in the sphere.)

Have you ever looked at Malatra, The Living Jungle campaign setting (a subsetting of Kara Tur)? That actually has a group of spacefaring creatures that are very similar (statistically) to Spelljammer's scro.

Perhaps if there were orcs in Krynnspace, and they were destroyed by the elves during the First Unhuman War, a number of them might be transported into Hollow Krynn. :?

I had a strange half-baked theory, that some sort of uber magic* performed by spacefarers, sent an asteroid hurtling towards Krynn and caused it to hit Istar. If that had been full of orcs, and the elves bungled an attempt to destroy the orcs, that would allow them to get in. But then that conflicts with your spacefaring dwarf concept, so you probably won't be able to use it.

* = I'm thinking of the same level of thing that the Kingpriest tried to do.

Return to “Taladas and Otherlands”