Lego Monster Manual

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Lego Monster Manual

Postby dulsi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:35 am

After trying to recreate a beholder, I started wondering about creating more creatures. Perhaps even an entire monster manual. This thread has a couple purposes. I will post new creations as they are completed. I'm also interested in input on this idea.

Should monsters stick to appropriate scale? Tim's Building the Bestiary series is excellent for those using Lego models in game. While I like those I want something that shows the monsters in greater detail. Should I try to scale things down more? Should there be multiple images per monster at different scale?

Do you want instructions for the creations? Or is inspiration enough perhaps with some inside looks like the Lego Idea books?

Do you want a monster manual with stats for one edition? Do you want a book with monster fluff and no stats? Should it be existing monsters or new creations?

Should minifigures be included? Should humanoids be brick built instead of minifigures? (For example Kobold is nice but bigger than minifigures.)

Current Creations:
Beholder
Carrion Crawler
Eye of the Deep
Rust Monster
Monstrous Crab
Girallon
Amphisbaena
Owlbear (Not entirely pleased with this design.)
Slaad
Couatl
Otyugh - Otyugh 2
Mimic
Aboleth - Aboleth 2
Treant
Last edited by dulsi on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Lego Monster Manual

Postby dulsi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I created a lego unicorn calendar for my wife. I like the second unicorn design the best but want a white tail like that of the third unicorn.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby dulsi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 am

I really like the crab in Tim Emrick's blog post but wanted the pincers to move so I designed my own.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:22 am

I missed this, but this is a great idea for LEGO fans! I hope that other people come onboard!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 pm

dulsi wrote:I really like the crab in Tim Emrick's blog post but wanted the pincers to move so I designed my own.

Very nice! I've built larger crabs that did have poseable pincers, but the model I used for that blog post was built a few years ago, before the first Mixels (and their wonderful new diversity of tiny joint parts) were released.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby dulsi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:29 am

Added Girallon
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

dulsi wrote:Added Girallon

Very nice! You said you didn't have the right bits. Do you think you might come back and remake some of these, if you came into enough cash to buy more Lego?

Tim said something about spare parts becoming available. I'm guessing that you could make another pass on Lego monsters, every so often, to see if any new bricks would allow for a better design. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Big Mac wrote:Tim said something about spare parts becoming available. I'm guessing that you could make another pass on Lego monsters, every so often, to see if any new bricks would allow for a better design. :)

As I work on my "Building the Bestiary" series, I often find myself improving on earlier models that I first built years before. Sometimes it's little tweaks, sometimes it's a complete redesign from scratch using new parts or techniques that I've acquired since the previous attempt.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby dulsi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:Very nice! You said you didn't have the right bits. Do you think you might come back and remake some of these, if you came into enough cash to buy more Lego?

Tim said something about spare parts becoming available. I'm guessing that you could make another pass on Lego monsters, every so often, to see if any new bricks would allow for a better design. :)

I didn't have the right bits to make the design used in the Gorilla Legend Beast. I'm actually happy with the design I did come up with. I made redesign some at some point. However I tend to prototype a lot like the beholder. After I have the build working, I build a digital model, color it as I want, and order the pieces. At the moment I'm trying to get more monsters not redesign old ones. Although the Eye of the Deep was kinda my attempt to design the Beholder.

Also if you look at my moc-pages, you will see I have more interests than just Dungeons & Dragons for Legos. I have a design for Slash and an orange Triceraton from TMNT sitting on my computer which I don't have the pieces for. I've been slowly modifying a digital model of the Millennium Falcon to combine it with the Millano. I have a TMNT/Star Wars crossover story I started for my sons (part 1, part 2). I have a Legend of Chima story I started. I have Orca from the Lego Batman Minifigure series which I want to create into a Legend of Chima tribe. The theme for Brickfair this year is X (or 10) so I'm building Cookie Monster eating an X. I need to build instructions for my son's party favor which is a Nexo Knight robo dragon which can attach to the back of the new Nexo Knight battle suits. I still want to scale up my M-Tron Enterprise to twice as big. I want to do a stop-motion video with my Raccoon Car.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Would it be possible to include instructions oh how to build these as well as which sets to acquire to e able to construct it?
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby dulsi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Would it be possible to include instructions oh how to build these as well as which sets to acquire to e able to construct it?

I don't currently have instructions for any of them. I have a digital model for most although the digital model may not be correct either as it might be missing some internal pieces. (Why isn't a digital model an instruction set? Instructions suggest how to build it in pieces. Whereas the current digital models have all the pieces added in a single step. You can take a digital model and build from it but it is easier with a good set of instructions. The Lego Digital Designer can even automatically create instructions but they aren't very good.) Is there any particular one you want instructions for?

As for sets to buy that I don't know. I've purchased bulk legos from ebay and individual pieces from bricklink. I have not built them to be easy to acquire from current sets. The girallon uses printed pieces from the Wolf and Gorilla Legend Beast. Both sets are no longer available.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with these builds which is why I haven't placed instructions online yet. I've thought about building a Lego Monster Manual for one or more editions. I've thought about seeing if one of the companies that make Lego books would be interested in a monster book. I've thought about putting the beholder or others on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby dulsi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:02 am

ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby dulsi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Added Owlbear. I'm not happy with this owlbear.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby dulsi » Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 am

Added Slaad and Couatl.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 am

dulsi wrote:Added Slaad and Couatl.
The couatl turned out great. It's been one my favorite monsters since 2E.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby dulsi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:33 am

Added Otyugh.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby timemrick » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 am

I've just posted an Index to the creatures that I've covered so far in my "Building the Bestiary" series. After 14 installments, I figured it might be helpful to do that.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 pm

dulsi wrote:Also if you look at my moc-pages, you will see I have more interests than just Dungeons & Dragons for Legos. I have a design for Slash and an orange Triceraton from TMNT sitting on my computer which I don't have the pieces for. I've been slowly modifying a digital model of the Millennium Falcon to combine it with the Millano. I have a TMNT/Star Wars crossover story I started for my sons (part 1, part 2). I have a Legend of Chima story I started. I have Orca from the Lego Batman Minifigure series which I want to create into a Legend of Chima tribe. The theme for Brickfair this year is X (or 10) so I'm building Cookie Monster eating an X. I need to build instructions for my son's party favor which is a Nexo Knight robo dragon which can attach to the back of the new Nexo Knight battle suits. I still want to scale up my M-Tron Enterprise to twice as big. I want to do a stop-motion video with my Raccoon Car.

Interesting. But then I should have realised that Lego was flexible enough for you to hook it up to multiple hobbies. :)

Where are your moc-pages? I don't recall you using this term before.

EDIT: Never mind. I think you mean this My LEGO creations index.

Do you think you will be working on hex-scale Lego spelljamming ships at any point? :twisted:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Big Mac wrote:EDIT: Never mind. I think you mean this My LEGO creations index.

Do you think you will be working on hex-scale Lego spelljamming ships at any point? :twisted:

That is the moc-pages I was talking about. I figured you should be able to find it from any of the monsters. Maybe I should include a link to it in my signature or at the top of this topic. I've also created a separate directory for Monster Manual creatures.

As for hex-scale Spelljamming ships, I don't know. I'm not that fond of smaller scales. I'd rather build a big ship at minifigure scale.

I was looking at my otyugh and wanted to see it in a brown/green color. I built another otyugh.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby timemrick » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 am

Big Mac wrote:Where are your moc-pages? I don't recall you using this term before.

EDIT: Never mind. I think you mean this My LEGO creations index.

"MOC" is a term used by LEGO fans that means "My Own Creation."

Two of my favorite bits of LEGO jargon are SNOT (Studs Not On Top, bricks that allow sideways building) and BURPS (Big Ugly Rock Pieces).
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby dulsi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 am

Added Mimic.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Blackleaf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:03 am

This is awesome.
Blackleaf
Hobgoblin

Postby dulsi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:56 am

Added Aboleth.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 am

dulsi wrote:Added Aboleth.
That is too freaking cool! :cool:
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby dulsi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
dulsi wrote:Added Aboleth.
That is too freaking cool! :cool:

Thanks. But I wanted bigger, So I was forced to build another. Both of the aboleths are pretty unusual builds for me in that they have several SNOT (studs not on top) elements. I do feel I'm getting better at building.

I've been working on a monster manual page for the otyugh with 3.5 stats plus instructions for both builds and suggestions on substitutions if you don't have the right pieces. I'm thinking maybe I should strive for two versions of each monster to give people options on how to build. Granted I have no idea how I would do a second build for the girallon. Plan is to make pathfinder and 5e stat pages as well (maybe even earlier versions).
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Next

Return to The Squishy Bits