Monster ENCyclopedia

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Monster ENCyclopedia

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:56 pm

D&D Monster expert Echohawk, has just started on a project called Monster ENCyclopedia:

Echohawk at ENWorld wrote:This is a series of posts about specific monsters from D&D's history. Each entry takes a look at the origin of one D&D creature, and tracks its appearance and evolution across different editions. Because this is the first post in this series, it starts with the first creature to appear in any A-Z of the denizens of the worlds of D&D, the aarakocra.

I'm not sure how many monsters Echohawk can cover to this level of detail, but I think it is going to be fun following these.

LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 7 Oct 201): Otyugh, Peryton and Tomb of Annihilation (special) monsters added to list.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Monster ENCyclopedia

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Post reserved.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Post reserved
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Echohawk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 am

Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure how many monsters Echohawk can cover to this level of detail, but I think it is going to be fun following these.

I just noticed this thread (thanks Big Mac!), and so far, the answer is "at least four" :D

Here are links to the other three:
Barghest
Catobleplas
Drider
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Echohawk wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure how many monsters Echohawk can cover to this level of detail, but I think it is going to be fun following these.

I just noticed this thread (thanks Big Mac!), and so far, the answer is "at least four" :D

Thanks back to you Echohawk. I've always loved following your work, but have had less time recently, so have not always been able to keep up with the cool stuff you do.

You might also be interested in the Faerûn's aarakocra came from Maztica thread in the Maztica forum, as it discusses your Aarakocra article.

I think you should write a book about D&D monsters at some point. :)

Echohawk wrote:Here are links to the other three:
Barghest
Catobleplas
Drider

Great. I've added those to the top post. :cool:

As a Spelljammer fan, I would love to have seen the aartuk, but I suspect it has only been used in the SJ setting, and the barghest has a much more varied history. And if you are going to cycle from A-Z, it is going to give D&D fans the opportunity to guess what monster you are going to do for the next letter. :D

It would be great to be able to track down the actual D&D designer who created the barghest for the Dragon's Bestiary column in Dragon 26. That is a pretty important fact.

I like the way you touched on the fact that the catoblplas was a real mythological monster. That was a good touch.

Drider was another great choice. They are kind of mutated drow, so I'm guessing you could also have decided to fold the two monsters together.

I'm sure that the people that write Wikipedia articles will appreciate such a good secondary source.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Echohawk is back to doing this. :mrgreen:

(I'm not exactly sure what the delay was, but it looks like it took so long for him to get the 5e Monster Manual, that he went to Australia to buy one. ;) )

Ettin and Flumph added to list.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Echohawk » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:Echohawk is back to doing this.

Six more entries have been added in the last year:
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:34 am

Ecohawk wrote:Catobleplas
Catoblepases or Catobelp[a]i? :P
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Echohawk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:

Either catoblepases or (rarely) just catoblepas for the plural.

That said, D&D is notoriously inconsistent with plurals of monsters throughout editions. So far:

Aarakocra (rarely aarakocras)
Barghests
Catoblepases (rarely catoblepas)
Driders
Ettins
Galeb Duhr (sometimes galeb duhrs)
Hook Horrors
Ixitxachitl (very rarely ixitxachitls)
Jackalweres
Krakens (sometimes kraken)
Lamias (rarely lamia)
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Echohawk wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:

Either catoblepases or (rarely) just catoblepas for the plural.

That said, D&D is notoriously inconsistent with plurals of monsters throughout editions. So far:

Aarakocra (rarely aarakocras)
Barghests
Catoblepases (rarely catoblepas)
Driders
Ettins
Galeb Duhr (sometimes galeb duhrs)
Hook Horrors
Ixitxachitl (very rarely ixitxachitls)
Jackalweres
Krakens (sometime kraken)
Lamias (rarely lamia)

In deference to kraken, would not the plural of it be 'a pod of kraken'?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 am

Echohawk wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Echohawk is back to doing this.

Six more entries have been added in the last year:

Thanks Echohawk. I'll get these added into the top post. :cool:

EDIT: Your Galeb Duhr article cites SJQ1: Heart of the Enemy, but you didn't have a Spelljammer section. Was there not enough information to form an opinion of their role in the SJ universe?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Echohawk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:03 am

Big Mac wrote:EDIT: Your Galeb Duhr article cites SJQ1: Heart of the Enemy, but you didn't have a Spelljammer section. Was there not enough information to form an opinion of their role in the SJ universe?

In this case, the reference in SJQ1 was to a relative of the galeb duhr (the dridge), so it is part of the section on their relatives. I didn't find any mentions of galeb duhr themselves in Spelljammer.

Also, the myconid is now up.
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:13 am

Echohawk wrote:
Big Mac wrote:EDIT: Your Galeb Duhr article cites SJQ1: Heart of the Enemy, but you didn't have a Spelljammer section. Was there not enough information to form an opinion of their role in the SJ universe?

In this case, the reference in SJQ1 was to a relative of the galeb duhr (the dridge), so it is part of the section on their relatives. I didn't find any mentions of galeb duhr themselves in Spelljammer.

Thanks. There are a few critters where SJ seems to only have a special variant (the space mimic - or whatever it is called - springs to mind).

Eberron had that "if it exists in D&D it exists in Eberron" logic and I think that would probably have been applied to Spelljammer if they had thought of it at the time. Spelljammer is supposed to "feel" bigger than Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance combined (as it surrounds them all) but the amount of canon is far smaller.

Echohawk wrote:Also, the myconid is now up.

Thanks for that. I've updated the first post. :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Echohawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:00 am

Two new entries not currently indexed here:
Otyugh
Tomb of Annihilation (special)
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Echohawk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 am

Echohawk
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks Echohawk.

Otyugh, Peryton and Tomb of Annihilation (special) monsters added to list. (I put multiple links in with the actual monster names.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Echohawk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 pm

The quickling is up.
Echohawk
Orc

Postby Echohawk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 am

And the remorhaz.
Echohawk
Orc