[video] Running the Game

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[video] Running the Game

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:34 am

I bumped into a random lady on Faceborg the other day, and she was singing the praises of someone called Matthew Colville. I had not heard of him before, but he has put together a collection of 30 YouTube videos called "Running the Game" to teach people how to run D&D games:

This guy is really fun. His videos consist of a bunch of short snappy sentences stuck together. Everything he says seems to be awesome! :lol:
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [video] Running the Game

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 am

This is great! :)

I have been watching a bunch of these videos since i saw this post. I love this guy's take on Skill challenges, explained in a later video.

A fantastic way to teach DMing to beginners, but also quite enjoyable for those of us who have been doing this for years.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:24 am

I need to watch all of these videos and get around to setting up a Spelljammer game...

...because "I am a phlogiston river to my people"! ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Intro: Running the Game

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:24 pm

This video is just 1 minute, 38 seconds long:
Intro: Running the Game
Matthew Colville on YouTube wrote:Published on 21 Feb 2016

I think you'd like running D&D. It's fun and it's easy! So let's get started!
I defy you to watch this video and not want to learn how to become a DM. :)

I'm in. I'm going to get a game going by 2017. It will be a Spelljammer game...because I want to be in a Spelljammer game and nobody else is offering to run one for me. It will be set in the Known Spheres.

Is anyone else going to start running their own game?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:37 am

These are great! I'll definitely be sharing these with others.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:26 pm

I just started watching these, and I love them. I've been running gaming sessions for over 30 years, but I feel it's always good to take in other person's advice on how to run a game. Always open to a new perspective.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 am

I have watched through most of the videos by Matthew Colville now. I found them really enjoyable.

It is pretty interesting to hear about his thoughts on what went well and what went wrong in different settings. In many cases I think overthinking things can also be a bad thing though. Talking about a game session where things didn't work out too well can be useful, but in many cases just playing more will solve a lot of problems. Things that seemed like a disaster in one session may seem like a minor issue a few more session down the line.

I do like Matthew's gaming philosophy about focusing on everyone having fun and making the players feel like their characters are unique and useful. On the other hand his relaxed attitude towards the rules is even more extreme than mine and I do find that this gets him into trouble at various points.

I also found it interesting how he experiments on having two different gaming groups merge and seeing the problems and advantages of that situation.

Has anyone checked out his novels?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:13 am

Havard wrote:I have watched through most of the videos by Matthew Colville now. I found them really enjoyable.
I still need to get through most of them.
Havard wrote:It is pretty interesting to hear about his thoughts on what went well and what went wrong in different settings. In many cases I think overthinking things can also be a bad thing though. Talking about a game session where things didn't work out too well can be useful, but in many cases just playing more will solve a lot of problems. Things that seemed like a disaster in one session may seem like a minor issue a few more session down the line.
I've been in groups where the game has ground to a halt and people have given up. I guess that if people did push on, they wouldn't think of that session as a game that stalled, but instead think of it as a session that wasn't as good as later ones.

But it's all down to commitment. And I suspect that a bit of pre-thought by everyone (both the GM and the players) might give people more of an investment in the game. If the GM does all the work, the game stalls, and the players have nothing to loose, except their PCs, then maybe they will be more likely to throw in the towel.

I also suspect that part of the reason that he was overthinking might have been that he was trying to explain the thought process to newbies. And if you show newbies that you screwed up, take them through what went wrong and show them that it's OK to make mistakes, they will be less worried about making those mistakes. Maybe. :?
Havard wrote:I do like Matthew's gaming philosophy about focusing on everyone having fun and making the players feel like their characters are unique and useful. On the other hand his relaxed attitude towards the rules is even more extreme than mine and I do find that this gets him into trouble at various points.
I like it. If people are not having fun, they are not going to stay.

As for a relaxed attitude to rules, one of my struggles has always been to learn all of the rules. And I think the assumption that "the GM has to know everything" and that "players are only good players if they know how to min/max their PCs" really holds back the hobby.
Havard wrote:I also found it interesting how he experiments on having two different gaming groups merge and seeing the problems and advantages of that situation.
That's a problem I don't have to worry about, having zero gaming groups. :lol:
Havard wrote:Has anyone checked out his novels?
No, but I was wondering if he was going to turn his novel world into a campaign setting at some point. :)

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 am

Yesterday's "Dragon Talk" podcast featured a lengthy interview with Colville. It was an interesting change of pace hearing him field questions in real time.

(Sadly, the show's usual hosts suffer in comparison to Colville's charisma, so the episode drags a bit when he's not talking. On the other hand, I might have been spoiled for all other podcasts by "Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff"...)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”