Uncharted Atlas fantasy map generator

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Uncharted Atlas fantasy map generator

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun May 28, 2017 1:12 pm

It's a Twitter bot that generates a unique fantasy map every hour. You can see the results here and the designer discusses what he did here. After generating random fractal blobs and smoothing them out to make them look more like terrain, he simulates the effects of erosion on land masses, then places cities and generates labels for them using a random language generator. Whew!
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Uncharted Atlas fantasy map generator

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm

I wonder if anyone has created a tabletop game from any of these worlds.

I guess these maps could be good for a Spelljammer GM who needs to deal with an unplanned visit to a groundling world (maybe a ship has taken damage and wants to land on a random undeveloped planet, cut down a few trees and make repairs).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Chimpman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Wow, that's a pretty fun little bot. I agree with Big Mac that it could be useful for a Spelljamming campaign where the PCs are visiting new worlds at a fairly regular pace. The nice thing is that the maps are small, so they could conceivably be adapted to previously unmapped locations in a currently existing world.

I'd love to see some color injected into the map. Green forests, blue ocean, tan land features with darker mountains, etc...
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby willpell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I've never understood the D&D community's obsession with maps, but this does seem like it has some cool utility, if only as a brainstorming aid.
willpell
White Dragon

Return to The Squishy Bits