Orc Question

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Orc Question

Postby nick_crenshaw82 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Is there any campaign setting that presents Orc an similar to American Plains Indians? If not how should I change the traditional Orc to better represent such an environment change?
nick_crenshaw82
Gnoll

Re: Orc Question

Postby Sturm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

In Mystara the Red Orcs culture was influenced by the setting equivalents of Native Americans, The Children of Atruaghin, because they occupied their territory for centuries. They appear in Gazetteer 10 The Orcs of Thar and Gazetteer 14 The Atruaghin Clans.

Also more humanoids with a similar culture appears in The Savage Coast but IIRC they are mostly gnolls..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 am

Sturm wrote:In Mystara the Red Orcs culture was influenced by the setting equivalents of Native Americans, The Children of Atruaghin, because they occupied their territory for centuries. They appear in Gazetteer 10 The Orcs of Thar and Gazetteer 14 The Atruaghin Clans.

Also more humanoids with a similar culture appears in The Savage Coast but IIRC they are mostly gnolls..

No, there are also orcs, hobgoblins and goblins, but Gnolls are more prominent in the Carrascal, which is the better known region. Goblins are also found in the area of Cimarron, whereas the others are present in the Pampa Rica area west of the Savage Baronies.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby nick_crenshaw82 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 am

I'm hoping for more of a good or at least neutral aligned Orc race, not evil. Humans are evil in my idea campaign world (they're based on monotheistic Europe, a cross between Puritans and Crusaders). I still need some ideas on how to change traditional orcs to plains dwelling orcs, also what can of might should they have?
nick_crenshaw82
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Should be easy. Just change their alignment and give them more culturally appropriate weapons and armor.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Squishy Bits