Fully detailed space-craft plans?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Fully detailed space-craft plans?

Postby AirBreather » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 am

Hello all!

A general request: I'm looking for some extensively detailed write-ups for sci-fi and/or sci-fi fantasy space craft. The Ur-example would likely be the Spelljammer boxed set (from Spelljammer, in case you were wondering! :P ). So... Lore books, modules, etc. The recent release from Paizo - the first Starfinder adventure path entry - has a bit in it - that, when combined with their core rule book, is pretty extensive. (*Note that there are probably 100 times more 'low detail' write-ups for space craft and such, that don't even have floor-plans or descriptions. Probably the 'worst offender' in that regard would be from the Firefly setting, based off of the TV series of the same name. *cough* Please don't include them either.)

Most important:
- Exterior drawings (front, side, isometric; line-art, grey-scale or colour);
- Interior floor map (not to scale/to scale; free or grid marked; line/grey/colour).

Would also like:
- Descriptions (general, areas, rooms, supporting tech/magic, NPCs/crew, etc);
- NPC blurbs (the more comprehensive the better);
- Lore, history, setting, and/or adventures/hooks related to the space craft;
- Stats, crunch, numbers, scaled comparisons, etc.

Skip anything from Spelljammer for this - I already have them and know quite a bit of that material already has what I'm looking for. :)

I don't need any specific as chapters/pages - even book titles (and sourced campaign world/setting) are enough to start a good search.

Thanks.

~AB
AirBreather
Hobgoblin

Re: Fully detailed space-craft plans?

Postby Khedrac » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:58 am

I think if you check through the various editions of traveller you can find quite a few ships with detailed deck plans - some in adventures, but my memory says that one edition produced a book full of deck plans...
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby AirBreather » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Khedrac wrote:I think if you check through the various editions of traveller you can find quite a few ships with detailed deck plans - some in adventures, but my memory says that one edition produced a book full of deck plans...

Will check them, thank you.
AirBreather
Hobgoblin

Postby timemrick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Check Warehouse 23 (the Steve Jackson Games online store) for GURPS Traveler Deck Plans. There are quite a few products in the series, for a variety of sizes and styles of ships. I never played enough SF to buy any myself, so don't know exactly what they include besides minis-scale maps. (I used to own their Mall of the Dead Floor Plans set, which IIRC, had double-sided grayscale maps, one side with hexes, one with squares, and a key with [very] brief descriptions of each location on the map.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby AirBreather » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 pm

I checked a review of one of them - they seem to be more barebones than anything else.

When I think of it... I'm more interested in adventure/modules centered around (a) ships/crafts/etc, as they have 'depth'/context/etc.

With that thought... There was of course the SJ boxed set... The Divinity Drive, part of the Iron Gods AP (from Paizo)... Expedition to Barrier Peaks (IIRC?). Tale of the Comet (a one-off 'campaign inserter' from early D&D, about a replicant style invasion hitting a fantasy world)... A few other Paizo modules/Pathfinder society modules...

Hmm. Thoughts?

~AB
AirBreather
Hobgoblin

Postby The Dark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 am

The ur-example would be Annic Nova from Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society #1 (it was also half of a Double Adventure, but I don't remember which). I can't think of others off the top of my head, but if I run across any, I'll mention them.
The Dark
Troll

Postby AxesnOrcs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:45 pm

I've been rather partial to the Armada Codex/Future Armada line from 0-hr. Their ship plans include light setting fluff and d20 Modern/Future stats for crew and ships. The maps come as B&W and full-color in 5ft/2m to the inch grid.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Orc

Return to The Squishy Bits