Are You a Dick GM?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Are You a Dick GM?

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:06 pm

What are the worst offenders of GMing?

Here's a video I found on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-vH9P25U9Y

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Are You a Dick GM?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 pm

I've heard people complaining about this video recently, but have not had the time to warch it (and see if I agree).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:48 pm

I guess the guy can come off a bit arrogant. I think some of his other videos are better. The one thing I think is problematic about this video is that I think most GMs aren't "dicks" all the time or none of the time. Personally I have probably made all the mistakes a GM or player can make, including acting in ways I should not have, but hopefully I have gotten better along the way :)

But I think the video was useful enough for pointing out things one might do without thinking about it. Do I say no too often? Do I say yes too often? Do I refer to complex rules too often? All of these things are things it might be useful to think about from time to time :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 pm

I not have been (or at least, not consciously) a dick GM, my idea of D&D or rpg-games is that everyone in the table (the GM and the players) should have fun. If I have sinned in something, perhaps is that I sometimes disregard the rules if they go against an interesting experience.

But I have had one. He was a mix of favoritism GM, vindictive GM and limelight GM (to the point that he even invalidated players' nat 20s or his own nat 1s, if those rolls didn't favor his storytelling).

I blame him for every bias I have against 3.x :lol: He totally ruined my experience with that edition, and that is the reason I embraced 4e so easily and I don't care about anything 3.x/Pathfinder.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Illuminatus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:47 pm

I’m surprised that the video doesn’t mention the most odious kind of dick: the killer DM.

The worst DM dick I ever encountered was a killer DM who would run players and their pre-existing characters through the lair of his own godlike monty-haul character. After killing everyone off (they had absolutely no chance of surviving), his own character would then accumulate their loot. Epic dick.
Illuminatus
Orc

Postby willpell » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Illuminatus wrote:I’m surprised that the video doesn’t mention the most odious kind of dick: the killer DM.

The worst DM dick I ever encountered was a killer DM who would run players and their pre-existing characters through the lair of his own godlike monty-haul character. After killing everyone off (they had absolutely no chance of surviving), his own character would then accumulate their loot. Epic dick.

Weirdly my most recent RPG experience (since my usual campaign missed a week) was a Werewolf one-shot where it turned out that the bad guy was a former PC of the DM. And the villains (maybe not that one specifically, but his buddies for sure) were definitely way overpowered, yet still we managed to curbstomp them. I think we may have accidentally stumbled upon what this "dick" was hoping might happen with you - because of how overwhelming the challenge was, our victory was all the more impressive. I mean, the DM hardly needed to steal your characters' loot; he could just wave his godly hand and give his NPC exact copies of all your items, even the ones that by definition are one-of-a-kind, and never have to mention a word about it to you that he did this.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 am

Couldn't get in to the video, but on the topic, I think the biggest problem with the so-called "dick GM" is when you have a GM who sees the game as a competition, notably him vs. the PCs. That is the kind of temperament that leads to conflict with the players, and makes the game unfun. The GM should be the lead storyteller, and be as impartial as possible. Ideally, he serves just as a guide to steering the players as they collectively tell the story, but it can be the GM leading them along the story he is trying to convey as well. It doesn't mean that he has to be a slave to the dice, nor does it mean that he needs to pull punches to keep feelings from being hurt, but he shouldn't be setting players up to fail so that he can bask in his own glory of "beating" them.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Couldn't get in to the video, but on the topic, I think the biggest problem with the so-called "dick GM" is when you have a GM who sees the game as a competition, notably him vs. the PCs. That is the kind of temperament that leads to conflict with the players, and makes the game unfun. The GM should be the lead storyteller, and be as impartial as possible. Ideally, he serves just as a guide to steering the players as they collectively tell the story, but it can be the GM leading them along the story he is trying to convey as well. It doesn't mean that he has to be a slave to the dice, nor does it mean that he needs to pull punches to keep feelings from being hurt, but he shouldn't be setting players up to fail so that he can bask in his own glory of "beating" them.

Everybody knows all this...except for the people who don't know it.
willpell
White Dragon

Return to The Squishy Bits