Group/Team XP vs. Individual XP

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Group/Team XP vs. Individual XP

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am

Does anyone know of a game system or systems that keep track of XP on a group level, rather than per PC? It is something I was thinking about conceptually earlier, and was curious to see any similar examples out there, if they exist.

It occurs to me that, particularly with the most recent (3E and later) eras of D&D that the XP tables per class are standardized anyway, so might it not make more sense to simply have a group XP pool that is tracked, whereby Party Level = Character Level? It might even actually make more sense in some of the earlier systems of D&D where there aren't quite so many class abilities that are level related.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Group/Team XP vs. Individual XP

Postby agathokles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Does anyone know of a game system or systems that keep track of XP on a group level, rather than per PC? It is something I was thinking about conceptually earlier, and was curious to see any similar examples out there, if they exist.

It occurs to me that, particularly with the most recent (3E and later) eras of D&D that the XP tables per class are standardized anyway, so might it not make more sense to simply have a group XP pool that is tracked, whereby Party Level = Character Level? It might even actually make more sense in some of the earlier systems of D&D where there aren't quite so many class abilities that are level related.

Party Level = Character Level only works in 3e and subsequent editions, where character levels are supposedly equivalent regardless of class. In previous rules set, it is expected that some character will progress slower or faster than average. For example, a Thief in BECMI takes slightly more than 1/2 the XP needed for a Fighter to reach level 2, whereas an Elf takes twice as much.

That said, many non-D&D games do not explicitly count XPs. Among D&D versions, IIRC DragonFist employs a scheme where PCs advance once every given number of adventures.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to The Squishy Bits