[IDIOM: Int'l Dungeon In One Month] Not NaNoWriMo

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Dungeon in a month! But which month?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm

January
27%
February
No votes
March
No votes
April
No votes
May
No votes
June
9%
July
36%
August
18%
September
No votes
October
9%

Total votes : 11

[IDIOM: Int'l Dungeon In One Month] Not NaNoWriMo

Postby RobJN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 am

November has traditionally been National Novel Writing Month, where thousands of writers around the world try to hammer out 50,000 word novels, ideally by writing something like 1600-ish words per day.

I propose something a bit more related to our particular hobby/lifestyle: International Dungeon In One Month.

In the Old Days, TSR's adventure modules came in either 16 or 32 page varieties. To the best of my ability, I've tracked the word count on these as averaging something like 30,000 words for a 32 page module. (Maybe some of the TSR Old Guard here can confirm or deny this?) (See EDIT below)

Would anybody be up to a challenge of writing a 30,000 ~21,000 word adventure during an upcoming month? (doesn't have to be November. October might work slightly better, actually)

Just one of those thoughts that drift through my head as I have my morning coffee.

EDIT: Naming convention changed to I.D.I.O.M: Internation Dungeon in One Month, per Ashtagon's awesome acronym assistance (Now with more alliteration!)
Also:
Per some discussion with Bruce Heard on the Facebooks, it turns out modules were roughly 800-900 words per page. Less room for art and TOC, he estimated the word count on early D&D modules to be roughly ~21,000 words, probably less as the years passed (and module margins grew :P) I've changed the word count suggestion for this little project accordingly.
Last edited by RobJN on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [IntDunInaMo] Like NaNoWriMo, but not

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 am

Great idea! (Maybe you could run a poll to see what month would be best for people. I think it might be best to stay away from November, so that people don't have to choose between this and NaNoWriMo.)

There are some pictures of caves out there, like this picture of the Skocjan Caves by Peretz Partensky:

If people are stuck for ideas, then they could use some pictures like that for inspiration.

I think The Piazza could get behind this sort of idea. I'll have a chat with the staff team. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:Great idea! (Maybe you could run a poll to see what month would be best for people. I think it might be best to stay away from November, so that people don't have to choose between this and NaNoWriMo.)

There are some pictures of caves out there, like this picture of the Skocjan Caves by Peretz Partensky:

If people are stuck for ideas, then they could use some pictures like that for inspiration.

I think The Piazza could get behind this sort of idea. I'll have a chat with the staff team. :cool:

I was thinking of doing "picture prompts" as I was writing up my post, but ran out of time before work. Then I thought that might be something for another "inspirational" topic.

Another idea might be to do these more than just once a year, and use the pictures to set the theme?
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 pm

I love the idea. It might be fun to try and write something for The Edge, and inject some life back into that setting.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Chimpman wrote:I love the idea. It might be fun to try and write something for The Edge, and inject some life back into that setting.

Actually, I was planning on using it as an excuse to finally get more done on TC2: The Stone and the Maidens or TC3: The Hag's Tear... :oops:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:14 am

I suggest July in order to give more students the opportunity to participate between semesters. I'm not sure if this works well worldwide, but in the U.S., nearly all schools have a break in July. I realize not all potential writers are students, but why not maximize submissions from the next generation of game designers?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 am

I vote July too, for the same reason others said. Also, let's call it International Dungeon In One Month, for the acronym factor ("idiom").
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 am

Ashtagon wrote:let's call it International Dungeon In One Month, for the acronym factor ("idiom").

I love it. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby RobJN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Brilliant!

If I wasn't an idiot, I would've thought of that.

Top Post/Topic edited and credit given to Ashtagon for the awesome name change
Last edited by RobJN on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby timemrick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Well played, Ashtagon!

July sounds good to me, too. One of the many reasons (excuses?) that has kept me from trying NaNoWriMo is that November is a crazy busy part of the year, between the kids' school schedules, Thanksgiving, and getting ready for the holiday season the following month. The summer would be much more conducive to intensive periods of writing--and it's also the month that my in-laws take the kids off our hands for a few weeks. :cool:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Chimpman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 pm

RobJN wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I love the idea. It might be fun to try and write something for The Edge, and inject some life back into that setting.

Actually, I was planning on using it as an excuse to finally get more done on TC2: The Stone and the Maidens or TC3: The Hag's Tear... :oops:

I won't complain about that.

Love the name idiom!

The only problem with July is that now we have to wait another 10 months before we can start ;( That's ok though... it gives me a little more time to prepare (and hopefully finish up some other projects).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [IDIOM: Int'l Dungeon In One Month] Not NaNoWriMo

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am

RobJN wrote:Another idea might be to do these more than just once a year, and use the pictures to set the theme?

Read a RPG Book in Public Week runs more than once a year (I think they do it three times.) And NaNoWriMo does do Camp NaNoWriMo, as well as NaNoWriMo itself.

RobJN wrote:

I really like the idea of a theme. And The Edge could do with being brought back from the dead too. But, I think that your IDIOM concept has the potential to grow larger than The Piazza and I think that restricting people to fairly small areas of imagination might make less people take part.

What NaNoWriMo does is throw an open contest where people can write anything. I think you might want to give people as much freedom as possible, to encourage more people to take part.

I know I would probably want to create a Spelljammer dungeon, if I took part. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am

Big Mac wrote:I know I would probably want to create a Spelljammer dungeon, if I took part.

Right, I'll pencil you in for a Spelljammer dungeon/adventure due on July 1st :ugeek:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am

RobJN wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I know I would probably want to create a Spelljammer dungeon, if I took part.

Right, I'll pencil you in for a Spelljammer dungeon/adventure due on July 1st :ugeek:

:lol:

"Reorx's Railroad" is my working title. ;)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I voted January because the month is "close". But it seems everyone wants to do it in July... well, more time to get ideas.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Can someone who likes Mystara sort out a lost Mystaran city buried below Abbashan...in one month? :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Squishy Bits