Inspirational music for RPGs

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Saltwater1
Gnoll

Re: Inspirational music for RPGs

Post by Saltwater1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 am

Just about anything out of the Legends of Zelda, mostly Twilight Princess and Majoras Mask. The usual fantasy soundtrack, but with a darker mood. Perfect for my campaign.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Post by Jayce » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Bit of an obvious choice, but the Sword Coast Legends soundtrack by Inon Zur is excellent. As is a lot of Inon Zur's stuff, really. The Sword Coast Legends OST and a lot of his other work are available on Spotify.

For more atmospheric, new age-y background stuff, I really like the Celtic themed albums by Adrian von Ziegler - also available on Spotify, or on von Ziegler's personal YouTube account. Von Ziegler's stuff is a little reminiscent of the type of "Celtic Mists" stuff that seemed to be everywhere in the early 1990s, which captures a timeframe that I personally instantly identify with (A)D&D. His music definitely has modern production values, however, so it doesn't feel cheesy or ridiculous by any means. It's good stuff, and definitely worth checking out.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Jayce wrote:Bit of an obvious choice, but the Sword Coast Legends soundtrack by Inon Zur is excellent. As is a lot of Inon Zur's stuff, really. The Sword Coast Legends OST and a lot of his other work are available on Spotify.

For more atmospheric, new age-y background stuff, I really like the Celtic themed albums by Adrian von Ziegler - also available on Spotify, or on von Ziegler's personal YouTube account. Von Ziegler's stuff is a little reminiscent of the type of "Celtic Mists" stuff that seemed to be everywhere in the early 1990s, which captures a timeframe that I personally instantly identify with (A)D&D. His music definitely has modern production values, however, so it doesn't feel cheesy or ridiculous by any means. It's good stuff, and definitely worth checking out.
Oh, yes, I am subscribed to Von Ziegler's channel on the YouTubes. :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:36 pm

I have always used the Conan the Barbarian, WoW, and LotR ost for my games. I'm going to search the SCL ost right away!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Newest Two Steps from Hell is out -- "Unleashed."

Chills.

Just listened to the title track, and... :o A contender for the theme for the battle between two THRONE satellites, most definitely.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

haiduk
Kobold

Post by haiduk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am

If you want some dark, aggressive music for battles check out Haiduk! \m/

Death metal inspired by D&D and other fantasy settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIS6KqjAzUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nulsBC6tnYM
haiduk

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Jayce wrote:Bit of an obvious choice, but the Sword Coast Legends soundtrack by Inon Zur is excellent. As is a lot of Inon Zur's stuff, really. The Sword Coast Legends OST and a lot of his other work are available on Spotify.
I second Inon Zur. I have used much of his work (particularly from Fallout) for my Dark Sun campaign, along with Total War: Attila, which has a magnificent soundtrack.
Also, Mark Morgan (Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Wasteland 2). My top choice when I'm running a Planescape campaign.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Dalillama
Hobgoblin

Post by Dalillama » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:27 am

I got great use from Federale in my recent Western game.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm currently running an adventure module ( https://hellwinter.blogspot.it/2016/02/ ... vised.html ) where the author, step by step, suggests you a different music.
I very like it and also the players told me they love this detail.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”