Inspirational music for RPGs

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Re: Inspirational music for RPGs

Postby ExTSR » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Just saw this at PaizoCon (Seattle WA, USA, July 4 weekend).

http://syrinscape.com/

Extremely cool.
Free download.
Multiplatform.
Professional.

I think this may be a new Thing.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Dadalama » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Too bad there's no Linux version for that. I do have an android though.

someone on soundcloud, who works in microtonal music, called "cryptic ruse" has a lot of songs I could see myself using. Haven't actually got around to using though.

https://soundcloud.com/crypticruse/sad-mike-1
great for creepy forests, caves or even mansions and castles.

https://soundcloud.com/crypticruse/stagnant-deity
This one has a kind of Matt Uelman vibe. Even if it's obviously a clean electric guitar I could see this working for just about any era on a winding road.

https://soundcloud.com/crypticruse/mandrake-tea
It kind of sounds like old villages with dark secrets.

https://soundcloud.com/crypticruse/farthur
great for an important battle or chase (or really any intense) scene that would be out of place with a huge orchestral score.
Dadalama
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 am

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Great soundtrack and great movie!!!
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby RobJN » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Two Steps from Hell does it again.

The latest album's opening track, "Welcome to Amaria." This, to me, sounds like it could very well be the opening to the movie version of B4, where we begin with a chase through the streets in Selenica, and wind up lost in the Alaysian desert....

I hadn't really thought much about how Varis and Gilliam met prior to the opening of Thorn's Chronicle, but this theme paints a very good picture of just what might have happened.....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby TBeholder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Yngwie Malmsteen - Pyramid Of Cheops
...would do well for Dark Sun. :)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter
TBeholder
Hill Giant

Postby Krimson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 pm

RobJN wrote:Yuki Kajiura did some great stuff with the Xenosaga music. However, she has yet to top .hack//SIGN or Noir.

I realize I am responding to a five year old post but since the thread is still active I'll consider this relevant. If you like Yuki Kajiura then you should check out her project Kalafina. As for topping Xenosaga, well how about the theme from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magia? I promise it will send chills down your spine.

Since there is a Star Wars forum, one of my favorite soundtracks for when I would run games is the Soundtrack to the game Republic Commando. Here are a few samples. Yes, all the lyrics are in Mandalorian.

I do make my own music, but most of it is too weird and niche to post here being an anime subgenre making me some sort of 40 something hipster otaku. I use a voice synthesis program called Vocaloid since I can't sing and stuff. I have considered doing more ambient music suitable for RPGs. The closest thing I have is a track on my Soundcloud called Kitsune Kitsune. I have other stuff there, listen to it at your peril.
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Postby RobJN » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Krimson wrote:
RobJN wrote:Yuki Kajiura did some great stuff with the Xenosaga music. However, she has yet to top .hack//SIGN or Noir.

I realize I am responding to a five year old post but since the thread is still active I'll consider this relevant. If you like Yuki Kajiura then you should check out her project Kalafina. As for topping Xenosaga, well how about the theme from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magia? I promise it will send chills down your spine.

I'm a sucker for great harmony. Magia is pretty good, as is re/oblivious, if my play count is any indication.... :D
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby shesheyan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Mortal Kombat !*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

*There is a story behind this choice. We discovered years ago that when players are rolling low and missing simply put on the Mortal Kombat song and you will see the high rolls come back... I'm not kidding try it! :ugeek:
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:19 am

Irish Music - Pirate Tavern

This one just popped up in my YouTube feed. I am not a big fan of Irish or pub music, but this one made me smile.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:53 pm

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 am

Nightsky Album by Tracey Chattaway

Unique. Maybe a good prelude to an encounter.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Two Steps From Hell does it again.

New album out,"Battlecry," with some great pieces on it.

They haven't put the tunes up yet on the YouTubes, but there is a behind the scenes recording session of "Freedom Ship." (Having been a musician, I love watching music being made.)

If you've got 37 minutes to spare there is the album teaser that Two Steps put together.

Personal favorites? "Release Me," "Amaria," and "Star Sky."

This will be running in a loop for a while as I write :D

Edit: Oh, that first track? It has a lyrical version.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:22 am

Well, there goes the imagination again. Gotta think up something worthy of another Sawano Hiroyuki epic theme. Buy a video game just to listen to the soundtrack? Buy a new video game system just so you can buy the game just to listen to the soundtrack? Tempting. Very tempting.

When I get rich and can make the Thorn's Chronicle anime? Yeah, guess who's getting the call to deliver the soundtrack?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:36 am

RobJN wrote:Two Steps from Hell does it again.

The latest album's opening track, "Welcome to Amaria." This, to me, sounds like it could very well be the opening to the movie version of B4, where we begin with a chase through the streets in Selenica, and wind up lost in the Alaysian desert....

You mean B4 The Lost City, right? :?

RobJN wrote:I hadn't really thought much about how Varis and Gilliam met prior to the opening of Thorn's Chronicle, but this theme paints a very good picture of just what might have happened.....

I've not had enough time to follow Thorn's Chronicle lately (and I don't understand the source material well enough to know what you are doing differently. Are you going to publish "conversion documents" that change things like B4 into a Thorn's Chronicle version, at some point?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Krimson wrote:

I sometimes reply to five year old posts. The only thing that might be an issue is that the OP might have forgotten about the conversation.

That's an unusual bit of music. I'm not sure I'd use it in a tabletop game (as it feels fairly modern to me) but it sounds great.

Krimson wrote:Since there is a Star Wars forum, one of my favorite soundtracks for when I would run games is the Soundtrack to the game Republic Commando. Here are a few samples. Yes, all the lyrics are in Mandalorian.

Do they have people learning Mandalorian now? :shock:

BTW: You don't have to wait for The Piazza to have a bespoke forum for a RPG setting to talk about it (or music that would be good for it). :)

Krimson wrote:I do make my own music, but most of it is too weird and niche to post here being an anime subgenre making me some sort of 40 something hipster otaku. I use a voice synthesis program called Vocaloid since I can't sing and stuff. I have considered doing more ambient music suitable for RPGs. The closest thing I have is a track on my Soundcloud called Kitsune Kitsune. I have other stuff there, listen to it at your peril.

That's pretty good. I couldn't quite work out what the Vocaloid gizmo was singing, but I really liked the music behind it.

I've been wondering how hard it might be to extract the Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace music. Do you think that it would be possible to use software to import XMI files and make them sound more like they were performed by a cinema orcestra?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Big Mac wrote:
RobJN wrote:Two Steps from Hell does it again.

You mean B4 The Lost City, right? :?

That would be the one, yes.

Big Mac wrote:
RobJN wrote:I hadn't really thought much about how Varis and Gilliam met prior to the opening of Thorn's Chronicle, but this theme paints a very good picture of just what might have happened.....

I've not had enough time to follow Thorn's Chronicle lately (and I don't understand the source material well enough to know what you are doing differently. Are you going to publish "conversion documents" that change things like B4 into a Thorn's Chronicle version, at some point?

I have plans for a Chronicle Companion. An appendix in TC1 (@Pandius) summarizes the main, glaring differences between baseline Mystara and Thorn's Mystara that crop up over the course of the adventure.

I have a small pile of notes, both on the HDD
and in treeware versions
Image,
that are in dire need of some semblance of order. TAD has been kind enough to express some interest in helping with that.

Thus far, I've only "Thorn-ized" the introductory adventure from the D&D Basic set and parts of B10, Night's Dark Terror, which make up the first arc "Rise of the Winter King." My old website had some very rough notes for the differences between baseline Mystara and the tinkering done in Thorn's Chronicle, and if I can dig that material out of the old site's iWeb formatting, it'll be going up on the blog (and into the Chronicle Companion) eventually.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:33 pm

That's an awesome body of work Rob. :-D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:That's an awesome body of work Rob. :-D

That's what sevennine years of scribbling'll get you :D
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:42 pm

So, pretty much the most awe-inspiring tune you could ever hope to hear, having anything to do with a duck. This one gets saved for the "wouldya lookit that view" moment.....
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Epic sale on EPIC music. Two Steps from Hell just broke some ridiculous number of likes on their Faceborg page.

That's not important.

What IS important is that they've put their public album catalog on sale for the next couple or three weeks (until 8/14/15 (or 14/8/15 for those of you across the pond) to celebrate the milestone!

If you've been hemming and hawing about shelling out dough for this audio Epicness, shell out less than cover price on their albums on iTunes
https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ ... app=itunes

No, I'm not shilling for 'em. I just like their stuff and want to share.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 am

Here's a piece I found today: Massive Attack-Angel (Mezzanine album)

It is quite beautiful and a bit haunting.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby TBeholder » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Darren Lock - lots of good ambient.
Listen to different albums, they have common general styles, but also different enough "themes" - compare "Mist on Stone" vs. "Ascension" vs. "V2" for example.

Dadalama wrote:Too bad there's no Linux version for that.
WINE doesn't pull it?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter
TBeholder
Hill Giant

Postby Irondrake » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:41 pm

ExTSR wrote:Just saw this at PaizoCon (Seattle WA, USA, July 4 weekend).

http://syrinscape.com/

Extremely cool.
Free download.
Multiplatform.
Professional.

I think this may be a new Thing.

F

I had no idea about this until I saw your post. IMO, this is one of the greatest advancements to the enjoyment of RPGs ever.
Irondrake
Bugbear

Postby RobJN » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Ah, finally. The second most epic track from the Danmachi* soundtrack has been released. "Hero's Desire." which is -- believe it or not -- a battle theme. This is absolutely perfect for the next installment of the Handmaidens' tale. Were it part of that soundtrack, I'd title it "The Handmaidens' dance with Flaghr"

*Long title in Japanese is long, but roughly translates to "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?"
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

PreviousNext

Return to The Squishy Bits