Strange things that happen during games

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Strange things that happen during games

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 am

During one of our most successful OAD&D campaigns one character became racist against half-elves after an altercation in a small town. He was alone, had a big mouth and the half-elves rough him up a bit. His ego was bruised.

As time passes he became more powerful and acquired the land on which the town was built. He gave instructions to the guards to be suspicious of half-elves saying they were trouble makers. The guards made life difficult for the half-elves in town. We tried to convince the character to stop this behaviour but he didn't want to.

The party left on adventure a few days later. It was a very difficult dungeon and the racist character died... oops! As per our agreement in case of character death we search for someone to bring the character back to life. The caster did his spell, the player rolled the die and was... wait for it... reincarnated into an half-elf ! OMG !!! We were laughing so hard. Unbelievable. IIRC there was only 5% of this happening. The player was fuming... left the gaming area and stormed into his bedroom and didn't want to come out for the longest time. We were 14 at the time.

Today he laughs about this episode, but recently admitted that he almost threw us out of his parent's house that night and almost decided never play D&D again. :o
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Re: Strange things that happen during games

Postby willpell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 pm

The 5E campaign that I went to throughout the summer...I got a job and had to disappear from the campaign abruptly, and the session which turned out to be my last was also the one where my character, and one other, got killed by reskinned mind flayers. The strange part? Our party paladin decided to save us by arguing with the GM...the Raise Dead spell only works if no important body parts are missing, so after killing the mind flayers that just killed us, the paladin scooped our liquefied brains out of the monsters' throats, poured the goo back into our opened skulls, and said "well, now it's not missing!" Frankly, I'm happy to have left the game, instead of playing a character who came back from death in that stupid a way. (And this is the second time my character has died in the same session that coincidentally ended my presence in the campaign.)
willpell
White Dragon

Re: Strange things that happen during games

Postby shesheyan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 pm

willpell wrote:The 5E campaign that I went to throughout the summer...I got a job and had to disappear from the campaign abruptly, and the session which turned out to be my last was also the one where my character, and one other, got killed by reskinned mind flayers. The strange part? Our party paladin decided to save us by arguing with the GM...the Raise Dead spell only works if no important body parts are missing, so after killing the mind flayers that just killed us, the paladin scooped our liquefied brains out of the monsters' throats, poured the goo back into our opened skulls, and said "well, now it's not missing!" Frankly, I'm happy to have left the game, instead of playing a character who came back from death in that stupid a way. (And this is the second time my character has died in the same session that coincidentally ended my presence in the campaign.)

That is strange ! No play is better than bad play. ;)
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Return to The Squishy Bits