[tutorial] Introduction to World Machine

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

[tutorial] Introduction to World Machine

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

Anna B Meyer just put up a YouTube video called World Machine - Introduction

It's just over a quarter of an hour and she goes over the basic controls used in World Machine.

World Machine seems to work by using a lot of boxes that seem to work a bit like flowcharts in computer programs. Stuff goes into one box (or is created by that box) and then goes off to another box.

She has two types of terrain here and combines them together to make an island. Then she shows how the height map and colour detail would be exported from World Machine.

It looks like this video has been funded by her Patreon backers and that there are going to be some other free videos funded by them too. So, if you are considering buying World Machine, it might be worth having a look at this and seeing if she adds other videos.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [tutorial] Introduction to World Machine

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 am

Saved to my watch later playlist. I am very interested in learning more about making fantasy maps, so once my workflow eases up a bit and I have the time to watch videos, this will be the first one I watch!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [tutorial] Introduction to World Machine

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Saved to my watch later playlist. I am very interested in learning more about making fantasy maps, so once my workflow eases up a bit and I have the time to watch videos, this will be the first one I watch!

I backed the Other World Mapper Kickstarter, but I'm seriously considering the possibility of doing something with World Machine.

But it comes down to a few things:
  • What sort of computer do I need for World Machine,
  • How much of the process does World Machine do and how much needs to be done by other software,
  • How long does it take to randomly generate planets, after you have learned how to use World Machine and
  • How easy is it to build a version of an existing (TSR) map?

Maybe Anna will cover that sort of stuff, if she does other videos.

(I've tried to work out a "shopping list" for a new computer, but whenever I've asked for advice people tell me that I should get a machine that you can play high quality video games on. But if I'm going to get World Machin and I need to get other sorftware to work with the output of World Machine...and maybe also import stuff into World Machine...I've got to start making a minimum spec.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Squishy Bits