[video][alternate-history] What If Rome Discovered Steam Pow

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[video][alternate-history] What If Rome Discovered Steam Pow

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

A friend just posted a link a video, called: Alternate History: What If Rome Discovered Steam Power?. It's an interesting concept. Here is the blurb:
Monsieur Z on YouTube wrote:Alternate History: What If Rome Discovered Steam Power?

Monsieur Z
Published on 6 Dec 2017

What if the Roman Empire had developed and expanded on Heron's Steam Engine? Let's talk about that!
The basic premise of the video was that Heron of Alexandria discovered steam power, in the form of his aeolipile (a steam-powered turbine) and that, if Heron had been supported and had had the time, money and resources to continue improvement on the aeolipile, the Roman empire would have been able to move into the Steam-Age.

Monsieur Z quickly moves into developing an alternate-history version of how Rome might have moved forwards if it evolved into a steam-powered empire.

Does anyone think this sort of alternate-timeline would work well for tabletop roleplaying?

Are there any steam-punk Rome books out there? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [video][alternate-history] What If Rome Discovered Steam

Post by shesheyan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:59 pm

I really like this idea. There is a series of books : The Steam Empire Series
https://alison-morton.com/2013/06/14/ro ... steampunk/
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Illuminatus
Orc

Post by Illuminatus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hmm... I'm imagining an iron-age spin on "The Man in the High Castle" with a steam-powered Roman Empire in the west and a gunpowder-enhanced Chinese Empire in the east.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:05 pm

shesheyan wrote:I really like this idea. There is a series of books : The Steam Empire Series
https://alison-morton.com/2013/06/14/ro ... steampunk/
...and...
Novels and a RPG! Nice!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Illuminatus wrote:Hmm... I'm imagining an iron-age spin on "The Man in the High Castle" with a steam-powered Roman Empire in the west and a gunpowder-enhanced Chinese Empire in the east.
I've not watched The Man in the High Castle, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but from the trailers I think I understand the general concept. I think you are right. :)

Return to “The Squishy Bits”