Storm Giantess Goddess - D&D

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Storm Giantess Goddess - D&D

Postby Birchbeer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Folks,

I'm trying to find the name (and source) of a myth I read about Stronmaus having to kill a violent Storm Giantess (I think she was a deity). I believe the story was that Stronmaus was forced to kill her as she was willing to wage wars nonstop.

Sorry for not having more info, but this has been bugging me for a few days now and I've read through a few of my books and not found it yet.

Thanks in advance! :)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Re: Storm Giantess Goddess - D&D

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Shax, the Sea Sister, from 3rd edition's Tome of Magic.

Page 47:

Thrym, god of the frost giants, was eager to stop storm giant incursions into his followers’ lands, so he picked up his axe and leapt into the sea. There he met his sister Shax for the first time. Thrym found her both beautiful and terrible. He offered to wed her if she would call the storm giants to return to the sea. Shax would have none of it, though, so the two fought. In the end Thrym won, beheading Shax with a clean blow of his axe, but not before she had scratched off some pieces of his flesh with her nails... As for Thrym, he yet lives, but the pieces of his cold body that his sister removed have become icebergs that float in the sea as constant reminders of the storm giants’ debt to him.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Birchbeer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you Rip, that's it. :)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:26 pm

I wonder if AuldDragon has a write up on Shax.

EDIT: I don't see Shax on his Giant Gods page. But I'm not sure if it's on his to-do list.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Squishy Bits