[YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

[YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby timemrick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm

This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 am
Location: Emirate of Kobara

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Wow! That video (from Great Big Story) has had 18K views!

I was trying to work out what campaign setting Robert Wardhaugh uses, but it looks like he uses stuff from multiple settings.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby ghendar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 pm

timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.


Well, 1st Edition would have been better but 35 years in damned impressive.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
User avatar
ghendar
Stone Giant
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: Acererak's Rumpus Room

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 pm

ghendar wrote:
timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.


Well, 1st Edition would have been better but 35 years in damned impressive.


If he converted to D&D from a Little Wars campaign, that would have been even more impressive. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

There is an interview with Robert Wardhaugh on the Official D&D Podcast:
Shelly Mazzanoble and Greg Tito on the WotC website wrote:We speak to a very special Dungeon Master, Robert Warbaugh, about his D&D campaign that's been running 2 sessions per week for 34 years. Jason Hashimoto provides the player's perspective to Warbaugh's campaign.

Subscribe to the Official D&D Podcast on iTunes to get updates for new episodes. Shelly and Greg are always talking to creative Dungeons & Dragons players like comedians and TV writers Mike Drucker (The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon) and Jared Logan (The Late Late Show with James Corden), as well as professional game masters Griffin McElroy (The Adventure Zone) and Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and actors like Rainn Wilson (The Office).

Listen to the podcast.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby timemrick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 am

Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:
timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.


Well, 1st Edition would have been better but 35 years in damned impressive.


If he converted to D&D from a Little Wars campaign, that would have been even more impressive. ;)

He started in 1982, so it would have been 1st Edition, B/X, or OD&D. I'm betting on 1st, because of all of D&D's many edition changes, I recall 1st edition to 2nd as being the least painful transition.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 am
Location: Emirate of Kobara

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

timemrick wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:
timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.


Well, 1st Edition would have been better but 35 years in damned impressive.


If he converted to D&D from a Little Wars campaign, that would have been even more impressive. ;)

He started in 1982, so it would have been 1st Edition, B/X, or OD&D. I'm betting on 1st, because of all of D&D's many edition changes, I recall 1st edition to 2nd as being the least painful transition.


I think you are right. Although the various Classic D&D editions seem so similar that I'm still struggling to work out where one ends and the next one begins. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK


Return to The Squishy Bits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest