[YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

[YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Post by timemrick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [YouTube] Never-ending D&D campaign

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Wow! That video (from Great Big Story) has had 18K views!

I was trying to work out what campaign setting Robert Wardhaugh uses, but it looks like he uses stuff from multiple settings.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm

timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.
Well, 1st Edition would have been better but 35 years in damned impressive.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm

ghendar wrote:
timemrick wrote:This guy has been running the same D&D campaign for 35 years. Some of the regulars here will be pleased to see that the one rulebook shown in the video is from 2nd edition.
If he converted to D&D from a Little Wars campaign, that would have been even more impressive. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm

There is an interview with Robert Wardhaugh on the Official D&D Podcast:
Shelly Mazzanoble and Greg Tito on the WotC website wrote:We speak to a very special Dungeon Master, Robert Warbaugh, about his D&D campaign that's been running 2 sessions per week for 34 years. Jason Hashimoto provides the player's perspective to Warbaugh's campaign.

Subscribe to the Official D&D Podcast on iTunes to get updates for new episodes. Shelly and Greg are always talking to creative Dungeons & Dragons players like comedians and TV writers Mike Drucker (The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon) and Jared Logan (The Late Late Show with James Corden), as well as professional game masters Griffin McElroy (The Adventure Zone) and Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and actors like Rainn Wilson (The Office).

Listen to the podcast.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 am

Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:
If he converted to D&D from a Little Wars campaign, that would have been even more impressive. ;)
He started in 1982, so it would have been 1st Edition, B/X, or OD&D. I'm betting on 1st, because of all of D&D's many edition changes, I recall 1st edition to 2nd as being the least painful transition.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 pm

timemrick wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:
He started in 1982, so it would have been 1st Edition, B/X, or OD&D. I'm betting on 1st, because of all of D&D's many edition changes, I recall 1st edition to 2nd as being the least painful transition.
I think you are right. Although the various Classic D&D editions seem so similar that I'm still struggling to work out where one ends and the next one begins. :)

Return to “The Squishy Bits”