Schleich action figures

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Schleich action figures

Postby Big Mac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 am

I know that some people use LEGO figures, as an alternative to lead (or non-metal) miniatures, but I just saw someone linking to an Idle Hands blog article called Toy Fair 2018: Schleich Eldrador Creatures that is showing a new line of Schleich called Eldrador.

It looks like they are making the sort of monsters that can be used in fantasy gaming.

Looking at Schleich's other lines (they make things like Smurfs) I think these are intended as toys. That's great (from my point-of-view) because I think they are going to be kiddy safe and therefore not liable to fall apart if dropped. I'm hoping it also means that they will be priced for children to be able to afford them.

The Schleich page for Eldrador is already up, but at the moment, all I see there is seven dragons and a scorpion rider.

(Strangely the Scorpion Rider page led me to a Griffin Knight King on Horse page, that I can't get to from the main page. Maybe they are in the process of adding these figures.)

These figures seem a lot larger than 25mm figures, but if you didn't want to play D&D at that scale, I think you could pick some of their figures, especially dragons from the Eldrador range and and dinosaurs from the Dinosaur range as an alternative to expensive and heavy lead figures that require a lot of assembly and painting before they can be used.

Has anyone got any Schleich figures (even something you wouldn't use in a game, like a smurf)? What do you think of them? Are they robust enough for tabletop play? Are they more or less expensive than D&D miniatures?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Schleich action figures

Postby timemrick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:56 pm

I've seen this company's products for sale here in the US for quite some time. They used to be hard to find, with only dedicated toy stores carrying them, but I've slowly seen them become more available in large department stores. They have a pretty large selection of offerings--including wild animals, farm animals, dinosaurs, medieval knights, and fantasy and mythological monsters--so you still need to go to a toy store (or online) to see more than a tiny fraction of their catalog. (My local Toys R Us has half an aisle just for Schleich.)

These toys are a lot closer to the size of action figures than RPG miniatures, or even LEGO minifigures. IIRC, human characters are about 3" tall, horses are about 5" long. My kids have a couple dragons that range from 6"-9" long. Because of this size, and the price tag, I haven't bought any for myself, though I've been tempted from time to time.

From my limited experience, the toys seem to be molded of plastic about as robust as, say, a Kenner Star Wars action figure, though the detail and painting tend to be a bit better. Like any plastic toy, you'll need to be careful about the thinner parts. (One of my kids received a pegasus as a gift when they were in grade school, and accidentally broke off a wing after a few months on frequent play.) They should be plenty tough enough for use as tabletop minis, if you can find any that are small enough for what you need, and don't mind the lack of a base.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Cool figures and some really interesting concepts.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby AxesnOrcs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm

If we had the space or the direct need, we would have a ton of the dinos and dragons.

timemrick wrote:They should be plenty tough enough for use as tabletop minis, if you can find any that are small enough for what you need, and don't mind the lack of a base.

We just glue toys and the like to bases.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Postby night_druid » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 pm

I make use of TOOB Animals, available at hobby stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels) for things like dinosaurs, snakes, giant frogs, sharks, and the like. Get 10 plastic figures for usually $6 to $10 or so. Some are more useful than others.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby AxesnOrcs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 am

night_druid wrote:I make use of TOOB Animals, available at hobby stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels) for things like dinosaurs, snakes, giant frogs, sharks, and the like. Get 10 plastic figures for usually $6 to $10 or so. Some are more useful than others.

They are great. Need a cow, pig, dire pig? You could hunt down a fancy miniature OR child's toy. We've also gone to party supply stores to get the extra cheap party favors/cake toppers.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 pm

AxesnOrcs wrote:
night_druid wrote:I make use of TOOB Animals, available at hobby stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels) for things like dinosaurs, snakes, giant frogs, sharks, and the like. Get 10 plastic figures for usually $6 to $10 or so. Some are more useful than others.

They are great. Need a cow, pig, dire pig? You could hunt down a fancy miniature OR child's toy. We've also gone to party supply stores to get the extra cheap party favors/cake toppers.

Neat! Are all the TOOB animals suitable to use with 25mm minis?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Havard wrote:
AxesnOrcs wrote:

-Havard

Probably not; its really more of "scale to squeeze 10 critters into an 1" square, 10" long plastic tube". They don't follow a particular scale from what I've seen. I've bought a couple of individual plastic toy animals & dinosaurs that are at a 1:60 scale, so they'd be oversized for 25mm. Of course, oversized works perfectly for say giant frogs, sharks, turtles, and the like. The frogs look like they can swallow a halfling/gnome whole.

Edit: I should clarify: they aren't 25mm scale. They CAN be used as giant animals and even dinosaurs. They might be a bit overly large, however. AKA at that scale, that T-Rex might be 60' long, not a normal 45' long. Your mileage may vary.

That reminds me, I've bought plastic animals from Safari LTD, including my T-Rex. Those are pretty expensive; I was going to buy a smaller theropod to represent a critter small enough for a 2nd level party to tackle, but a full-sized T-Rex ended up cheaper by half. Did pick up a few baby t-rexes on the cheap.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby AxesnOrcs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm

night_druid wrote:
Havard wrote:
AxesnOrcs wrote:

-Havard

Probably not; its really more of "scale to squeeze 10 critters into an 1" square, 10" long plastic tube". They don't follow a particular scale from what I've seen. I've bought a couple of individual plastic toy animals & dinosaurs that are at a 1:60 scale, so they'd be oversized for 25mm. Of course, oversized works perfectly for say giant frogs, sharks, turtles, and the like. The frogs look like they can swallow a halfling/gnome whole.

Edit: I should clarify: they aren't 25mm scale. They CAN be used as giant animals and even dinosaurs. They might be a bit overly large, however. AKA at that scale, that T-Rex might be 60' long, not a normal 45' long. Your mileage may vary.

That reminds me, I've bought plastic animals from Safari LTD, including my T-Rex. Those are pretty expensive; I was going to buy a smaller theropod to represent a critter small enough for a 2nd level party to tackle, but a full-sized T-Rex ended up cheaper by half. Did pick up a few baby t-rexes on the cheap.

Yeah a lot of them look goofy on 25mm through 50-60mm bases. Like pigs are dire swine. But IMHO, it's better to have out of scale, even grossly so, miniatures of livestock because you bought a bunch of toys over buying/hunting for enough in scale miniatures.

AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Return to The Squishy Bits