[Speculation] WotC 5e Sci-Fi ruleset

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Speculation] WotC 5e Sci-Fi ruleset

Post by shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

I've been thinking about StarFinder and how WotC will probably come out with a sci-fi ruleset.

First of all I doubt they would publish a percentile (d100) game in the tradition of Star Frontiers. And I'm not convinced they would call their new sci-fi game Star Frontiers. If they follow the D&D business model will first publish a generic Sci-Fi system under 5e d20 rules. Then they will publish campaign books. One of them would be set in Star Frontiers universe, another in the Alternity universe. Maybe a third in the Gamma World Universe. They could even publish a Dark Matter and Urban Arcana campaign book if the core books are open to modern day role-play. They own a lot of IPs. I don't think they would publish a separate rule set for each of them. That era is long gone.

Do you think this is plausible ?

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Re: [Speculation] WotC 5e Sci-Fi ruleset

Post by ghendar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:31 pm

I have no idea if it's plausible but if they did commit to new version of Gamma World, I'd sit up and take notice. Don't have any interest in a Star Frontiers type of game.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

I would love to see a modern/sci fi RPG based on 5E.

The main problem I see is that WotC seems to be a very small branch of Hasbro at the moment with very limited capabilities. We only see so few D&D books per year and they seem terrified to split the fan base. At the same time, it seems pretty clear that any niche of the market that isn't filled by WotC will be filled by other companies, so this has to be a difficult position for WotC.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Havard wrote:We only see so few D&D books per year and they seem terrified to split the fan base.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Someone needs to tell them that horse left the barn years ago. It's too bad they weren't terrified of that from the very beginning.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 pm

ghendar wrote:
Havard wrote:We only see so few D&D books per year and they seem terrified to split the fan base.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Someone needs to tell them that horse left the barn years ago. It's too bad they weren't terrified of that from the very beginning.
We can thank Peter Adkinson for the SRD. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Havard wrote:I would love to see a modern/sci fi RPG based on 5E.

The main problem I see is that WotC seems to be a very small branch of Hasbro at the moment with very limited capabilities. We only see so few D&D books per year and they seem terrified to split the fan base. At the same time, it seems pretty clear that any niche of the market that isn't filled by WotC will be filled by other companies, so this has to be a difficult position for WotC.

-Havard
I couldn't agree more. Best case I can think of is, we get Spelljammer next year. It's still D&D, but also dabbles in space stuff (kinda).
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Return to “The Squishy Bits”