Miniature D&D books - anyone bought them?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Miniature D&D books - anyone bought them?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 am

There are a bunch of tiny D&D books called the TSR Silver Anniversary Miniature Reprints.

I always thought these were a little bit pointless, but has anyone actually bought one or more of these books?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: Miniature D&D books - anyone bought them?

Post by zontoxira » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Never ever heard of that o.O wasn't aware such a thing could even exist.. Which brings me to the follow-up question, what was the reasoning behind this? Some sort of pocket books I assume, but why not 2nd edition, which was more recent, or even 3rd, since it should have been published by then? And why these particular books/boxed sets?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 pm

zontoxira wrote:Never ever heard of that o.O wasn't aware such a thing could even exist.. Which brings me to the follow-up question, what was the reasoning behind this? Some sort of pocket books I assume, but why not 2nd edition, which was more recent, or even 3rd, since it should have been published by then? And why these particular books/boxed sets?
They had four 2nd Edition products in the range.

The RPG Geek page I linked to says this about them: "They were published by Wizards of the Coast and Twenty-First Century Games in 2000 as part of the TSR Silver Anniversary..."

I guess this is similar to the leather-bound D&D collectors editions that have been published more recently. Only, instead of making something that would appear to be a luxury version of an old product, they were making things you might need a magnifying glass to read. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:Only, instead of making something that would appear to be a luxury version of an old product, they were making things you might need a magnifying glass to read. :?
Needing a magnifying glass is exactly right! I remember seeing some of these in a shop, and that was my reaction -- the text was all there, but tiny.

They'd be good for a diorama, maybe? Though then you'd need to find or make dice and furniture and such to the same scale. :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:53 pm

I got two, Manual of the Planes and Dragonlance Adventures, solely because I didn't have those books at the time. From what I was told at the time, mini-books like that were the rave in Italy for some reason.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:51 pm

I vaguely remember seeing some of these back in the day, but I couldn't have justified the expense even if I had been willing to strain my eyes. ;)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 am

I have three, including Undermountain boxed set. They are really beautiful miniatures, but obviously not really useful. It's true there was a fad for mini books in Italy which lasted for some years, indeed I have others too. I think mini books have completely disappeared from bookshop now.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”