[LEGO] Elves

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[LEGO] Elves

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm

There is a product line called LEGO Elves out in the USA, that might be very useful to those people at The Piazza who play tabletop games using LEGO instead of minis! :cool:

The line has a backstory, where a (human) girl, called Emily Jones, discovers a magic amulet which opens up a secret portal to a place, called Elvendale. She then hooks up with a bunch of elves and goes looking for several keys that can return her home. That's a bit similar to how The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe works, but it's fine, as the backstory has to be simple enough to not cause problems for any kids who don't want to use it.

There are several products in the line, including a set called Aira's Airship & the Amulet Chase that could probably be modified and used as a spelljamming ship or an elemental airship from Eberron:

As well as various elves, there are also a bunch of creatures that are probably goblins (they have a goblin king, but that mini looks different*), another human girl (Emily's sister) and some dragons! So it might well be worth checking these things out.

* = I don't think it looks like David Bowie. :lol:

They look slightly different to how LEGO people looked last time I bought one (which was probably not in this Centuary) so I'm not 100 percent sure on the scale, but I'm sure a passing LEGO expert can find that out. I don't know if they have removable hair and bodies that split. There is a large variety of skin colour in these characters (except the two sisters) so, if they do mix and match well, these figures could be really useful to someone wanting to make several elves of the same subrace.

Anyhoo, that's about as much as a know, but head over to the LEGO website, I linked to above, as they have some videos you might want to watch, if you think that Elvendale would be worth raiding as an adventure location. :)

EDIT: Know Direction have an article, called Behind The Screens: Inspired By… Lego Elves that shows how one of the LEGO Elves figures comes apart. They do look like standard LEGO people, but I think the heads might be a bit bigger than normal.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [LEGO] Elves

Post by timemrick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:03 am

The LEGO Elves figures are called mini-dolls, to distinguish them from the older minifigures. Mini-dolls first appeared in the LEGO Friends theme, as a more realistically proportioned alternative marketed to girls. Since then, they have been used in the Elves theme, the current Disney Princess theme, and the new DC Superhero Girls theme. (And in case you were wondering, the minifigure is still used in every other theme.)

Mini-dolls have some limited compatibility with minifigures. The heads, torsos, and legs are far too different to mix, but the top of a mini-doll's head is the same size and shape as a minifigure's, so most hair and headgear are interchangable. Also, the hands are the same size (though the mini-doll's wrists are not articulated) so they can hold most accessories designed for the other body type.

Finally, mini-dolls are just a little taller than a minifigure. The mini-dolls' legs are 3 studs long while sitting, but a minifigure's are only 2 studs long. This often makes furniture and mounts designed for one body hard to use with the other. Meanwhile, the mini-doll's torso is shorter than a minifigure's.

(I posted my thoughts about LEGO Friends to my blog a few years ago. I still feel much the same way about that theme (largely indifferent), but the Elves theme has been growing on me, particularly with the new brick-built beasts in the 2018 sets. And I do occasionally use Elves parts in my "Building the Bestiary" series.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks Tim.

It's quite ironic that, in LEGO, "girls figures" are slightly taller than boys. If it was the other way around, you could probably use it as a feature (rather than a bug).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:It's quite ironic that, in LEGO, "girls figures" are slightly taller than boys. If it was the other way around, you could probably use it as a feature (rather than a bug).
There are a very small number of male characters in the Friends and Elves themes, but they're just as slender as the girl mini-dolls. (My wife uses the male elf's body, but with longer hair, for her androgynous Fantasy AGE character.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:54 pm

About 13-14 years ago my dad was moving and wanted to know if I wanted my box of old Legos (mostly '80s space sets). Washed sorted through and my two young daughters had something to dump on the coffee table and say, "Daddy build me something!" A lot of sitting hunched over the coffee table building a car/truck, boat, or space ship (that's how most of my builds turn out) while they built, was/is fun. Some Hobbit and Star Wars sets (for me ;) ) and then the Friends sets came along. My oldest has a number of them and in the last two years my youngest has latched on to the Elves. I'll take some pics and post them.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Return to “The Squishy Bits”