Final Fantasy video games as inspiration?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
willpell
Black Dragon

Final Fantasy video games as inspiration?

Post by willpell » Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm currently obsessively replaying Final Fantasy V, and I've been struck by the immense amounts of very transparent inspiration the Japanese game developers took from D&D. There are obvious expies of Mind Flayers and other such distinctive D&D creatures, the Jobs available clearly have a lot of parallels with D&D classes (though with significant differences), and a lot of the way the plot is structured is very similar.

Has anyone run the feedback loop in the other direction? Have you thought about porting concepts from Final Fantasy for use at your game table? For myself, the answer is definitely "yes", though I have five minutes to finish typing this, so examples must wait. I'm only familiar with Final Fantasies 4, 5 and 6, plus a very vague and distant memory of the original (2 and 3 were not released in the West until much more recently, and I haven't kept up with the modern consoles that are up to at least 14 or 15 by now), so those will be all I can speak to, but all three of them have a lot to offer for D&D usage, if you're up to doing the work required to convert them.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Final Fantasy video games as inspiration?

Post by Gravesguardian » Fri May 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Try doing a google search for Final Fantasy RPG...it does actually exist. I only found out about it when I came across an rpg site that has pdfs of it for download. Remuz RPG Archive to be precise.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 am

So you know I'm Chinese player.In my memory,we have a lot of homemade 3.5E materials are based on JRPG or anime,some of these things are come from Final Fantasy.And I remember Chocobo appeared in Dragon Magazine.I don’t know if they will still do this now,because I have not joined the game and translated for a long time.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Return to “The Squishy Bits”