Which Sci-fi RPGs have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which science-fiction RPGs have you played?

- Alternity
13%
- Gamma World
13%
- Metamorphosis Alpha
5%
- Rogue Trader (40K)
3%
- Star Frontiers
9%
- Star Wars
19%
- Star Trek
8%
- Shadow Run
13%
- Starfinder
2%
- Traveller
15%

Total votes: 135

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Which Sci-fi RPGs have you played?

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:09 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am
Coronoides wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am
Do Cyberpunk games count?

Also I'm very surprised by the popularity of the Star Wars game compared to the other 10 poll options. Why?
Yes cyberpunk counts.
OK, so I'm one of them. :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm

I bought Starfinder, but have yet to play it. In fact, now that I've taken a closer look at the rules, I'm not sure I want to play it, let alone run it. It is much more complicated on so many levels that I honestly don't have the time to learn & compensate for.

Its a shame, because the book costs $60 USD, and I really wanted to like it and get some use out of it.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 pm
I am surprised that no one has yet owned up to playing Starfinder - and I think it is more due to board demographics than actual popularity.
I remember a lot people talking about Starfinder in various places where they normally talk about Spelljammer. I think some folks thought it was going to be a fantasy space thing.

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned Starjammer.
Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 pm
I have friends who play in the Pathfinder Society and they now have a regular Starfinder game, but it seems they don't frequent these boards.
I was wondering if we would end up with a Starfinder subforum inside the Pathfinder forum.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:26 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Also I'm very surprised by the popularity of the Star Wars game compared to the other 10 poll options. Why?
West End Games was massive, back in the day.

I remember thinking that their Star Wars game would last as long as D&D.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm
I bought Starfinder, but have yet to play it. In fact, now that I've taken a closer look at the rules, I'm not sure I want to play it, let alone run it. It is much more complicated on so many levels that I honestly don't have the time to learn & compensate for.

Its a shame, because the book costs $60 USD, and I really wanted to like it and get some use out of it.
Maybe you could resell it and use the money to buy Esper Genesis based on D&D5E?

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 am

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Maybe you could resell it and use the money to buy Esper Genesis based on D&D5E?
I am sure that Esper Genesis does the trick for you at least, and that's fine, and I'd get it based on your recommendation, but - my problem is that my group is only interested in D&D5e, so unless I could slip some Esper Genesis into a D&D game, I probably couldn't use it. (At least with my players' informed consent!) :twisted:

Oh, that, and that I am not very good at, or knowledgeable in reselling items. Sure, I could take it back to the FLGS I bought it at, but I'd get a fraction of the $$ back. :oops:

My best bet is to hang onto it and mine it for all its worth for other games. :halo:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:26 pm
Coronoides wrote:
West End Games was massive, back in the day.

I remember thinking that their Star Wars game would last as long as D&D.
Star Wars is a very popular universe, and the movies got out when RPGs were blooming. It certainly helped that d6 Star Wars had international editions -- at the time (at least in Italy) there were few adult players able to read English with ease, and even for them getting books from the US or UK was costly.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Just remembered I GMed a cyberpunk campaign with the Interface Zero (v2) setting based on Savage Worlds rules.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Wasn't Empire of the Petal Throne kind of a science-fantasy setting, as well?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:52 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 pm
Wasn't Empire of the Petal Throne kind of a science-fantasy setting, as well?
Yes in the far future a interstellar colony of humans is established on an alien world. Something happens and that solar system is trapped in a pocket dimension with odd physics. The game is set a few thousand years later when civilisation has clawed its way back up to the Iron Age.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I checked Traveller even though it was really Traveller:2300. I got in before the name change so it's close enough for me!

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:27 pm

2300 is on Humble Bundle currently.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Return to “The Squishy Bits”