Which Sci-fi RPGs have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which science-fiction RPGs have you played?

- Alternity
13%
- Gamma World
13%
- Metamorphosis Alpha
5%
- Rogue Trader (40K)
3%
- Star Frontiers
9%
- Star Wars
19%
- Star Trek
8%
- Shadow Run
13%
- Starfinder
2%
- Traveller
15%

Total votes: 135

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Which Sci-fi RPGs have you played?

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am

Yes - on poll:
GW, SF, ST, CT

Off poll:
Twilight 2000 - 1st edition.
Paranoia - 1st edition.
Car Wars (and Deluxe Car Wars, which added some role-playing elements, like driver stats etc).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:03 am
snorri wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 am
I currently play a star trek game with Strange New World. It's a Pbta. Normally, Pbta's are not my style of game, but I felt it fits perfectly the mood.
I wasn't aware there was a hack of Star Trek for Powered by the Apocalypse. This could actually tempt me into playing a Star Trek RPG, something I always refused to do. Too hard to get away from the movies and series.
The link is here : http://www.critical-hits.com/ch-present ... /#science

I'm note sure I play it in a very orthodox Pbta mode, but among various games I put in the short list, I choose this one. It emphases on exploration, negociation, P
Peacefy solutions, imaginative ways to solve problems.

I did used some random tables from Star without numbers and White Lies (french edition), to create random planets to explore and... Engage !

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Despite owning various Sci-fi rpgs, I haven't played that many. I own every Gamma World edition but have only managed to run 7th edition. I played Star Wars D6 the most. Recently I ran TinyFrontiers. I had lots of fun creating characters for Traveller but was never motivated enough to run it.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am
That is a game a could play these days. I like the fact that its not fantastical. Was the system based on d6s like Traveller?
Currently playing : (player in) Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 pm

dulsi wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm
Despite owning various Sci-fi rpgs, I haven't played that many. I own every Gamma World edition but have only managed to run 7th edition. I played Star Wars D6 the most. Recently I ran TinyFrontiers. I had lots of fun creating characters for Traveller but was never motivated enough to run it.
TinyFrontiers sounds cool. Did you run the first version or the Revised Edition ?

Baron
Bugbear

Post by Baron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 pm

I've owned/read many more than I've actually played. In addition to your poll, I've played Paranoia, Fading Suns and Cyberpunk.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:47 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 pm
TinyFrontiers sounds cool. Did you run the first version or the Revised Edition ?
I didn't realize the revised version is out. Crippling the Walkers is the adventure I created for the game. Here is my review of the original. I enjoyed it a lot. For a one-shot it is great. You don't have to spend a lot of time explaining how things work.
ImageImage

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm
BlackBat242 wrote:
That is a game a could play these days. I like the fact that its not fantastical. Was the system based on d6s like Traveller?
T2K 1E used 4d6-4 (re-rolling 0s) for PC attributes (characteristics), D100 for skills, and D100 for resolving combat, skill use, etc. D6s and D10s were used for various things like number of fish in a pond, etc.

T2K 2E used 2d6-2 (re-rolling 0s) for PC attributes (characteristics), and D10 for many resolution rolls. I don't know about other uses, as I don't own a copy of the base rules.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:31 am

Starfire
Serenity
The Morrow Project

Many of these, I've played at least one session of, including designing or rolling up a character and tested the combat system using that character during a short encounter. Some of them, I've played or GM'd extensively, and others are technically board-games (Gammarauders, Space Hulk, Car Wars) or war-games (SFB, Babylon 5, Starfire), but we always role-played our decisions, so I count these as role-playing games whether anyone else does or not. :mrgreen:
Star*Fire! That brings back memories. I still have the 2E rules. Played games again in the late 90s. Tried to play a game in 2017 but it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try again soon.

Serenity. I always wanted to try it out. How was it? Is it respectful of the TV series and its setting?

The Morrow Project sound interesting. Which edition did you play? The 2013 one or older versions?
I might've played Starfire 2e rules. Its been over 10 years, so I'm not sure. We played it as a massive empire building campaign. The other players were much more versed in this game than I was. We played it for a few weeks, switched to SFB for a few months, then spent the better part of 2 years in a weekly Babylon 5 empire building campaign. I played the Centauri and spoke with Londo's accent every session. ;)

I tried a little bit of Serenity a few years back. Serenity could definitely be faithful to the series & setting. I only rolled up a character & tried the combat out. The mechanics are simple enough to make a cinematic game happen without too much trouble, once the game is up & running and all the players have a basic handle on the crunch - and it has some crunch, but not more than D&D 5e, I'd say.

I never picked up any adventures for Serenity, sadly. No one else was interested in it at the time, so I didn't put any more money into it. :(

The Morrow Project I played was most likely written in the late 70's or 80's. I don't own the game, I played at a friend's house. My character got hit in the neck with a bullet & died of blood loss. Over an hour to create the character & add up "Blood Points" to have my guy die within minutes of starting... :roll:

EDIT: I also want to add "Gamma Dawn" - the Gamma World rules set to Star Frontier's Alpha Dawn rules! I ran a nice, but all too short campaign on a home-brewed world set in the Star Frontiers universe. :mrgreen:

And a question: What is "Gamma World 7th edition"? What year was this published, publisher, and main authors?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:00 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 am
I played the following sci-fi games/editions:
  • Star Wars D6
  • Shadowrun 1st Edition
  • MechWarrior 2nd Edition
  • Robotech (Macross Saga)
  • A homebrew post-post apocalyptic setting created with Heroes Unlimited, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness, Ninjas & Superspies, and Palladium Fantasy
  • Paranoia
UPDATE: Added Paranoia to my list.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:30 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 am
And a question: What is "Gamma World 7th edition"? What year was this published, publisher, and main authors?
GW 1e - TSR
GW 2e - TSR
GW 3e - TSR used color chart like Marvel Super Heroes
GW 4e - TSR back to D&D like system had increasing AC and to hit bonus instead of THACO
GW 5e - TSR(WotC?) Alternity
GW 6e - White Wolf d20 Modern
GW 7e - WotC D&D 4e like
ImageImage

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 am

Hmm, let's see if I can remember what I have played (most of this was pre-1990):

Traveller 1st Ed
The Morrow Project
SpaceMaster (1st Ed?)
Gamma World (2nd Ed)
Cyberpunk (whatever version was out around 1990-1992)
Shadowrun (c. 1986) - does this even count?
Paranoia (almost certainly 1st Ed)
Edit - I think I have played Fasa's Start Trek RPG (again about 1990 for version).

I will edit this list if I remember any others.

Edit - someone mentioned Judge Dredd - I had clean forgotten playing that once.

Edit 2: How did I forget 'Tales from the Floating Vagabond'?
Last edited by Khedrac on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 am
GW 7E was the version published during the D&D4E era in 2010. While I liked the rapid character creation rules, I didn't like that you had new random mutations every morning. WOTC published random boosters cards (à la MTG) for the game. The boosters contained new mutations and equipment lIRC. I hated that concept. Finally, the setting had a very silly tone. They pushed it too far into goofiness...

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:49 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 am
shesheyan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm
BlackBat242 wrote:
T2K 1E used 4d6-4 (re-rolling 0s) for PC attributes (characteristics), D100 for skills, and D100 for resolving combat, skill use, etc. D6s and D10s were used for various things like number of fish in a pond, etc.

T2K 2E used 2d6-2 (re-rolling 0s) for PC attributes (characteristics), and D10 for many resolution rolls. I don't know about other uses, as I don't own a copy of the base rules.
2d6-2. That is 0-10. Clever. I've seen another (better?) way to do that. Instead of doing minus two, sixes are considered zeros so each die is 0-5.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 am
SpaceMaster (1st Ed?)
I learn something new every day! Wasn't aware ICE did a SF game. Looks like Hard SF too. I might have bought it if I had seen it on the shelves of the local hobby store.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:01 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 pm
Khedrac wrote:
SpaceMaster (1st Ed?)
I learn something new every day! Wasn't aware ICE did a SF game. Looks like Hard SF too. I might have bought it if I had seen it on the shelves of the local hobby store.
Ah, yes I played a few sessions of that too, run by our RoleMaster GM. My character was a Jedi-like character. Semi-Telepath? We played it a bit like Star Wars. I remember having to escape from some space prison.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:40 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:01 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 pm
Khedrac wrote:
SpaceMaster (1st Ed?)
Ah, yes I played a few sessions of that too, run by our RoleMaster GM. My character was a Jedi-like character. Semi-Telepath? We played it a bit like Star Wars. I remember having to escape from some space prison.

-Havard
Yes, it was heavily Star Wars influenced - right down to having monk-like characters with light sabers alongside more traditional scifi tropes. I am pretty certain that my experience was also run by our RoleMaster GM...

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm a lifelong fan of SF fiction and film, but have only very rarely played SF RPGs.

I have run a handful of sessions of Star Frontiers.

I have played at least one session of GURPS Space and Starfinder. I'd gladly play more of the latter if it was a regular offering at my FLGS, but my home group has far too many other systems/campaigns competing for that time.

I've played in a number of one-shot SF LARPs.

The only sustained SF campaign I've played in was a Firefly miniseries that was run to give the GM of our regular game a break from running full-time. I would have loved to play a sequel to that story, but it never happened.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks for the definition of Gamma World 7th edition. I call that one "GW-DD4" edition. ;)

I've heard of Spacemaster, but never seen it, nor played it. I have a lot of GURPS material, most of it relates to Traveller in one way or another, and truth be told, I picked them up only to supplement my Classic Traveller game.

I've played a lot of Space Opera about 10+ years ago. It runs kinda like Classic Traveller, but with 3x the amount of abilities & stats to keep up with.

I also have a PDF copy of Spacemen and Starships. I've seen an actual copy of it at a friend's house, but we never played it.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:40 pm

I've played in the original Judge Dredd RPG...once. (It was the one time I ran a game.)

I bought Shadowrun (the original, I think) but never got to play it.

I've done LARP games in two bespoke science fiction campaign settings (using Lazer Tag for combat resolution) and have also done Lazer Tag games set in the Star Wars and Dr Who universes.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am

Do Cyberpunk games count?

Also I'm very surprised by the popularity of the Star Wars game compared to the other 10 poll options. Why?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am
Do Cyberpunk games count?

Also I'm very surprised by the popularity of the Star Wars game compared to the other 10 poll options. Why?
Yes cyberpunk counts.

Star Wars is not hard science-fiction, its a clever mix of science and fantasy. Holy knights (Jedis) have to join forces with Robin Hood (Rebellion) against the evil Prince (Darth Vader) and rescue a Princess (Lea) locked away in a castle (Death Star). Also, I've been told on many occasions that imagining a science-fiction setting was hard (harder than imagining a fantasy setting). The movies help a lot to create a believable universe easy to replicate in ones mind eye.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 pm

I am surprised that no one has yet owned up to playing Starfinder - and I think it is more due to board demographics than actual popularity.
I have friends who play in the Pathfinder Society and they now have a regular Starfinder game, but it seems they don't frequent these boards.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 pm
I am surprised that no one has yet owned up to playing Starfinder - and I think it is more due to board demographics than actual popularity.
I have friends who play in the Pathfinder Society and they now have a regular Starfinder game, but it seems they don't frequent these boards.
Agreed! And I'm almost sure the majority is WEG d6 Star Wars not d20 Star Wars or SW SAGA. I don't believe anyone here played FFG's Star Wars.

Starfinder is probably somewhere in the top 3 most popular sci-fi games at the moment. I'm sure Star Wars by FFG is more popular.

Even though I'm a huge fan of science-fiction I didn't buy Starfinder for two reasons: Elves in space is not something I want to do and also the ruleset is more complex than 5E. I played D&D 3.5/d20Modern/SW saga and enjoyed them for several years. But in the end the ruleset just got in the way. Looking up rules all the time is not something I want to do anymore. I doubt very much I will go back to 3.5 OGL games.

Instead I bought Coriolis the Third of Horizon for the richness of the setting and elegant rule set. After 6 games I'm sticking with it for at least another 6 games. After that we will try Esper Genesis based on 5E. IF I want more complexity and versimilitude I want to try the INFINITY rpg which is based on the 2d20 system by Modiphius.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 pm
Agreed! And I'm almost sure the majority is WEG d6 Star Wars not d20 Star Wars or SW SAGA. I don't believe anyone here played FFG's Star Wars.
Likely, although at least my vote is primarily for SW Saga (I've played d6 too, but only a brief campaign compared to Dawn of Defiance).

GP

Return to “The Squishy Bits”