Which Fantasy RPGs have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which fantasy RPGs have you played?

Ars Magica
3%
Conan
7%
Dungeons & Dragons TSR
28%
Dungeons & Dragons WOTC
23%
Dungeon Crawl Classic
3%
Earthdawn
5%
Legend of the Five Rings
3%
Pathfinder
14%
Runequest
3%
Warhammer Fantasy
10%

Total votes: 115

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Which Fantasy RPGs have you played?

Post by agathokles » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 am

Shadow of the Demon Lord is an interesting rules set -- it looks like a crossbreed between a modern version of D&D and Warhammer.
The adventure modules are also quite nice.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 am

snorri wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 am
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 am
snorri wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am
Shadow of the demon lord
How complex is that system compared to DD3.5? The path system sound interesting.
I masterised a campaign this yearn my published world (Le Dodécaèdre). It was great !

I found it far much easier than 3.5.
You start level 0 with a race and a background, then pick a class at level 1, with four choices (warrior, rogue, priest, sorcerer, or something like this), then another between 16 at level 3, and a last choice a level 6 (between 32, if I remember). Your previous choices never stop you to choose a class which isn't the 'obvious next steps. So it enables multiclassing and prestige class very easily. A minimaxer will be happy, but others player's too. You get the pleasure of 3.5 mixtures, without the complexity.

The system is easy to grasp at first (basically, 1d20+ a small modifier, makes 10 or better), and add or remove d6 for avantages / disadvantages, according to your special powers.

I don't know really 4E, but I played extensively 3.5. SotdL credit book is far much easier. I guess with all material published, it may turn to a pain too, but I'm generally a core book GM.
Sounds really interesting. I'll had this book to my want list.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 am

agathokles wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 am
Shadow of the Demon Lord is an interesting rules set -- it looks like a crossbreed between a modern version of D&D and Warhammer.
The adventure modules are also quite nice.

GP
Another point in its favor!

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:21 am

Nice to hear about your experiences with Shadow of the Demon Lord. I own the core rules (from the Kickstarter), but have not had a chance to play or DM it yet. :)

-Havard
Let's try SotdL in Mystara. You can do it by the book. It would be a win in Ravenloft too.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 pm
Tunnels & Trolls (this one really should be in your original list)
Tunnels & Trolls. I saw ads of this game in the Dragon Magazine in the 80s. At first we thought is was a joke (pun on D&D title) but soon discovered its an actual game. First edition dates back 1975, which is impressive. Deluxe Edition (7th or 8th?) came out in 2015. I've never met a person who played this game or seen a book on the shelf of a store. The Piazza has nothing to show when I make a search. It has almost no posts on ENWORLD and on Giant in the Playground. T&T lovers should tell us more about this game in the Crunchy Bit section. ;)

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

D&D (DMed B/X; played & DMed 1E, 2E, 3.0, 3.5; played 4E [a little]; played and currently DMing 5E)
Pathfinder (currently playing and GMing)
BESM (GMed 2E; currently GMing 3E)
Earthdawn (played 1E [briefly], 2E, 3E; plan to play 4E eventually)
Fantasy AGE (GMed briefly, hope to do more)
Fate Accelerated (played Do: Fate of the Flying Temple)
GURPS (played and GMed 3E/3E Revised)
Pugmire [D&D 5E-based] (briefly played)
7th Sea (played)
True20 System (briefly GMed)
Dangerous Journeys: Mythus (briefly played)
Legend of the Five Rings (briefly played)
Tunnels & Trolls (solo play and briefly GMed)
Mike's Mighty Role-Playing System (homebrew system created by a friend)
LARPs (played numerous one-shot scenarios, most with homebrew rules)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:53 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:46 pm
Tunnels & Trolls. I saw ads of this game in the Dragon Magazine in the 80s. At first we thought is was a joke (pun on D&D title) but soon discovered its an actual game. First edition dates back 1975, which is impressive. Deluxe Edition (7th or 8th?) came out in 2015. I've never met a person who played this game or seen a book on the shelf of a store. The Piazza has nothing to show when I make a search. It has almost no posts on ENWORLD and on Giant in the Playground. T&T lovers should tell us more about this game in the Crunchy Bit section. ;)
I'm not sure there's a whole lot to tell, honestly.

Back in my senior year of high school I was gifted with a pile of RPGs that a friend of a friend was disposing of before entering a military academy. (Why he thought he'd never get to game in the military I'll never know.) One of the gems was a T&T boxed set, plus a few solo adventures. I played though every one of the solo adventures multiple times, but I think I've only actually played T&T with other people just once, when a friend of my sister wanted to know what this RPG thing was all about. And I'm not sure we actually used any of the rules, because the "intro to RPGs" adventure in the box was almost entirely logic puzzles and roleplaying, with zero combat.

T&T's game mechanics are very simple and abstract (most monsters have only a single numerical statistic, "Monster Rating," which determines their health and how many dice they roll in combat). That simplicity is perfectly suited to solo adventures--and T&T is probably the only "choose your own adventure, but with dice" rules set that I've seen that didn't feel overly clunky. But the game's simplicity was also the reason that it didn't really appeal to me for traditional tabletop play. Sure, it was very easy to home rule new stuff, but it wasn't meaty enough for my taste without a lot of work.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 pm

timemrick wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Mike's Mighty Role-Playing System (homebrew system created by a friend)
Love the title of this one ! :lol: ;)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm

timemrick wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:53 pm
I'm not sure there's a whole lot to tell, honestly.

Back in my senior year of high school I was gifted with a pile of RPGs that a friend of a friend was disposing of before entering a military academy. (Why he thought he'd never get to game in the military I'll never know.) One of the gems was a T&T boxed set, plus a few solo adventures. I played though every one of the solo adventures multiple times, but I think I've only actually played T&T with other people just once, when a friend of my sister wanted to know what this RPG thing was all about. And I'm not sure we actually used any of the rules, because the "intro to RPGs" adventure in the box was almost entirely logic puzzles and roleplaying, with zero combat.

T&T's game mechanics are very simple and abstract (most monsters have only a single numerical statistic, "Monster Rating," which determines their health and how many dice they roll in combat). That simplicity is perfectly suited to solo adventures--and T&T is probably the only "choose your own adventure, but with dice" rules set that I've seen that didn't feel overly clunky. But the game's simplicity was also the reason that it didn't really appeal to me for traditional tabletop play. Sure, it was very easy to home rule new stuff, but it wasn't meaty enough for my taste without a lot of work.
From what I can read most people love this game for solo play. I've read the same elsewhere. I wonder if it stayed the same for later editions.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Not a lot of actual play experience; I've played Pathfinder about once, and otherwise it's just been 3E and 5E D&D. Interesting to divide the poll between TSR and Wotco but not to distinguish between 3rd, 4th and 5th.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:38 pm
Not a lot of actual play experience; I've played Pathfinder about once, and otherwise it's just been 3E and 5E D&D. Interesting to divide the poll between TSR and Wotco but not to distinguish between 3rd, 4th and 5th.
The numbers clearly show the origin of this forum. TSR era is taking the lead ! For distinction per D&D editions we have an older thread just for that somewhere. I can't find the link at the moment.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm
willpell wrote:
The numbers clearly show the origin of this forum. TSR era is taking the lead ! For distinction per D&D editions we have an older thread just for that somewhere. I can't find the link at the moment.
Oh I know that, I'm just wondering why you distinguish at all, if it's only between ownership companies. The games themselves aren't hugely more different from 2E to 3E, rather than on either side of 4E.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm
willpell wrote:
Oh I know that, I'm just wondering why you distinguish at all, if it's only between ownership companies. The games themselves aren't hugely more different from 2E to 3E, rather than on either side of 4E.
TSR is THAC0 while WOTC is roll equal or more against positive ACs. Saving throws are reduced from five categories based on forms of attack to three based on type of defense. Single initiative per side vs initiative for each participant in the fight. Feats are another major change in 3E. A single XP chart for all classes instead of one chart per class in 2E and prior. 3E Base attack bonus, 3E multi-classing cherry-picking galore combine with Prestige classes.... 2E and 3E are two very different games designs.

Those are two distinct design eras that have to do with more than just ownership. Its a line many won't cross. 5E and 4E are just variations and adjustments to the basic ideas behind d20 3E concept.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm
5E and 4E are just variations and adjustments to the basic ideas behind d20 3E concept.
That is VERY distinctly a matter of opinion. My knowledge of both 2E and 4E is admittedly limited, but I see the former being less different than the latter, given that the latter makes it impossible for a fighter to make a "normal attack", instead forcing him to select a named "encounter power" which must be different from the last one he used, among similar peculiarities. Even 3E and 5E are fairly radically different; I don't know that 2E is more so. Something like THACO vs. D20 is a fairly minor rules point, whereas going from "23 ranks in a skill and a +9 Attribute modifier, with +4 circumstance bonus" to "+5 proficiency bonus and a +5 Attribute modifier with advantage" seems at least as drastic.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm
TSR is THAC0 while WOTC is roll equal or more against positive ACs.
Roll equal or more against positive ACs was originally done in Gamma World 4e which was a TSR version. (Not that it matters to me how the editions are divided or not.)

I only selected the two D&D versions. I've played BECMI and every edition afterward. I have played Tunnels and Trolls due to their solo books. Never played it with other people. Like the Sci-fi RPG question, I've listed only what I have played/game mastered. I owned many of the other games and generated lots of characters but for whatever reason never got around to playing them.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:47 am

I played Sovereign Stone d20 reviewed here https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 6699.phtml. It's an interesting rpg both for rules and setting but admittedly you enjoy it much more if you have read the books. There were several geographic supplements later but at first indeed details are a bit sparse.
There was an earlier class-less and levels-less edition which used its own interesting system, probably more fitting the setting, but apparently was even more thin in setting details and suffered from a bad first print (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 3265.phtml) but I do not have it.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 am

My favorite ruleset is actually Advanced Fighting Fantasy.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Sturm wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:47 am
I played Sovereign Stone d20 reviewed here https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 6699.phtml. It's an interesting rpg both for rules and setting but admittedly you enjoy it much more if you have read the books. There were several geographic supplements later but at first indeed details are a bit sparse.
There was an earlier class-less and levels-less edition which used its own interesting system, probably more fitting the setting, but apparently was even more thin in setting details and suffered from a bad first print (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 3265.phtml) but I do not have it.
Very good to know. I wasn't aware of the d20 version. I'll check it out.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 am
I have to read more on this game. From the wikipedia page sounds like a fun simple fantasy game but not a «rehash» of old D&D rules. In the same vein as Barbarians of Lemuria. Old School feel but not with old school rules.

Your avatar name is from the setting? Who is Yaztromo on the world of Titan?

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 pm
Your avatar name is from the setting? Who is Yaztromo on the world of Titan?
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gereth_Yaztromo

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:05 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 pm
Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 am
I have to read more on this game. From the wikipedia page sounds like a fun simple fantasy game but not a «rehash» of old D&D rules. In the same vein as Barbarians of Lemuria. Old School feel but not with old school rules.
I suggest you start from the Quickstart, that is free: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/108 ... t_filtered
Anyway, it's a quick and simple 2d6 ruleset, very open to modifications and adaptations to specific settings. In particular, the good point (for me) is that an absolute beginner can start playing in 5 minutes, as you don't spend ages in administrative tasks around the character sheet.

barrataria
Orc

Post by barrataria » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm

I have also played Barbarians of Lemuria, it's pretty great.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 pm

barrataria wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm
Yeah, that is a fun game :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 pm
barrataria wrote:

-Havard
Love that game too! Super fast character creation but yet very evocative of a fleshed out character at the same time.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:34 pm
Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 pm
barrataria wrote:

-Havard
Love that game too! Super fast character creation but yet very evocative of a fleshed out character at the same time.

Yes, also I like that every character gets to be good at combat, not just the warrior types. What player doesn't want that? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”