Which Horror / Supernatural RPG have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which Horror RPG have you played?

- Call of Cthuluh
38%
- White Wolf games
30%
- In Nomine
7%
- Witchcraft
7%
- Buffy the vampire slayer
3%
- Dark Conspiracy
3%
- Deadlands
7%
- Dread (2005 by The Impossible Dream)
2%
- Sorcerer
2%
- Nightbane
2%

Total votes: 60

barrataria
Orc

Re: Which Horror / Supernatural RPG have you played?

Post by barrataria » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Dark Conspiracy is simply fantastic, but I never ran or played it. For a long time I worked on a unified far-future setting that would have DC, 2300AD, and a Traveller/Wing Commander mashup on a single timeline but never quite got that playable either.

I enthusiastically recommend DC just as reading material, as depressed as I am that so much of it mirrors reality now.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:05 am

The takeaway I'm getting from this poll is that there are more people in The Piazza than I thought who have played White Wolf games. I started a couple topics about WW on this site, and didn't get much feedback; I got the impression that there wasn't much interest. Is that something people would be interested in seeing more of?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:42 am

willpell wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:05 am
The takeaway I'm getting from this poll is that there are more people in The Piazza than I thought who have played White Wolf games. I started a couple topics about WW on this site, and didn't get much feedback; I got the impression that there wasn't much interest. Is that something people would be interested in seeing more of?
The poll is about which game we have played, not which games we're interested in. I, for one, have played a bit of Vampires, but it is certainly not my favourite horror/supernatural RPG.
So, the mere fact that WW games are generally better known may influence the poll results.
The same happens with CoC: while it tops the ranking, the CoC forum is pretty quiet.

Another factor may contribute to a distortion: WW games are lumped together, even though I know some people who only like specific games (e.g., Hunter).

GP

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:22 am

I've played many WW games and like them, still I never engaged in much forum discussion about them, probably because I do not know the settings and metaplot so well to have lenghty discussions about them, even if I own many supplements.
Also the Onyx Path forums seem quite active, so probably I would go there should I have some specific question or discussion to have.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Another factor is that many members of the Piazza have been playing rpgs for eons (including me) and this means the palette of games played is very wide. Often we only played just a few games of each title.

In the end the Piazza is at its core a D&D forum with a heavy preference for the TSR era and 5e these days. I've been trying for years to get a rise with various science-fiction/modern games (TSR/WOTC and others companies) including Star Frontiers. I get lurkers reading my posts but very few replies. Its just the way it is.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a thread about what games people have GMed? Even if just for a one-shot, people who have actually ran a game (as opposed to playing one) have probably invested quite bit of time in learning the rules and maybe even planning a campaign if not more.

Also, perhaps more player oriented topics could be started to involve people who are only more casually involved with some games.

For sci fi, horror etc, maybe also topics that could tie to multiple rpgs could be worth trying?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”