Which Superhero RPG have you played?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which superhero RPGs have you played?

- Mutant & Masterminds
16%
- Marvel Super Heroes Role-Playing Game (TSR)
24%
- Villains & Vigilantes
13%
- Champions
15%
- Heroes Unlimited
9%
- Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (by Margaret Weis Productions)
5%
- Abberant (white wolf)
5%
- DC Universe Roleplaying Game (by West End Games)
4%
- Trinity
5%
- Golden Heroes (GW)
4%

Total votes: 55

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Which Superhero RPG have you played?

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Which superhero RPGs have you played? In the case of a game with more then one edition please specify which one in the comments.

The poll is limited to 10 options. If a game is not in the list please feel free to mention it below. I did not put generic systems like GURPS, D20 Modern or Savage worlds in the list on purpose.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Which Superhero RPG have you played?

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Played :
- Mutants & Masterminds 3E
- Villains & Vigilantes (I loved the random generation table for a one-shot)
- Silver Age Sentinelles (d20)
- Phoenix d20 an add-on for d20 Modern (very detailed fan-rules, unpublished)

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Mostly Tsr's marvel "Faserip", but I published a scenario for Villains & Vigilantes in French last year in a compilation.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:27 pm

snorri wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Mostly Tsr's marvel "Faserip", but I published a scenario for Villains & Vigilantes in French last year in a compilation.
The funny thing is that while compiling the list of 10 choices for the poll, I was searching for the FASERIP rpg until I remembered that was not the actual name of the game... :D :D :lol:

I read french. Do you have a link to the V&V document?

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:38 pm

This is the first volume of 40 years of Rpg anthology, in French. First decade 1974-1984. I hope the second decade will be released soon.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/benjamin-koupp ... 44172.html

I wrote scenarios for OD&D, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls, Villains & Vigilantes (even if some stats vanished in the edition process). This last one is 1978's disco inspired, so the pregens are an homage to Village people. And you fight a famous Mecha.

I didn't check the list of other scenarios, but I remember Empire of the Petal Throne, Bunnies and Burrows, Rolemaster, James Bond, ... It's the probably best old-school compilation ever. The next volumes will cover decades up to 2014, with something like 80 scenarios and games.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:49 pm

snorri wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:38 pm
This is the first volume of 40 years of Rpg anthology, in French. First decade 1974-1984. I hope the second decade will be released soon.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/benjamin-koupp ... 44172.html

I wrote scenarios for OD&D, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls, Villains & Vigilantes (even if some stats vanished in the edition process). This last one is 1978's disco inspired, so the pregens are an homage to Village people. And you fight a famous Mecha.

I didn't check the list of other scenarios, but I remember Empire of the Petal Throne, Bunnies and Burrows, Rolemaster, James Bond, ... It's the probably best old-school compilation ever. The next volumes will cover decades up to 2014, with something like 80 scenarios and games.
WOW!!!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Champions
Marvel Faserip (TSR)
Aeon Trinity
MasterBook - Psionic London - Homebrew (GMed)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:11 pm

I don't think I've actually played Aberrant, but I have studied the rules enough to at least begin making a character, so I'll count it. Champions however is my first RPG system ever, and if I were ever ambitious enough, it would be the basis of my effort to convert every game to every other game, because the Hero System is 98% of the way to being a truly universal (if insanely complicated) system already. Converting every D&D spell into a specifically limited Power, and balancing the point costs in some fashion to account for tier differences, and representing Cthulhu's sanity damage as a permanent EGO drain which inflicts Psychological Disadvantages instead of completely disabling the target, and so forth and so on...as I said, I'll never have the time to do it, but it's something I'd like to see done.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Just a very smal amount of Champions and some Squadron UK (a Golden Heroes retro-clone) for me
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Played a little Villains and Vigilantes, and a lot of TSR's Marvel Superheroes (started with the Basic set, but then mostly played the Advanced and to be honest, I don't recall that there was any significant difference between the two versions).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Mutants & Masterminds only.

GP

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Love the versatility and crunch of M&M 3e but wonder if I'll ever get my diverse pool of player to play it. Played some good PBP though. Would love to play more supers. I came to the genre late not getting into comics until I was 45 but love the license the genre gives to players to create characters with few restraints. Just backed the Tiny Supers kickstarter perhaps that is something I can get my players into here's hoping.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:48 pm

The full list for the compilation I spoke about :
L’héritier de Schwartzstein : Scénario pour (Original) Dungeons & Dragons
Dans les entrailles de la montagne maudite : Scénario pour Tunnels & Trolls
Les Ténèbres Métalliques : Scénario pour Empire of the Petal Throne
Bobinettes et Chevillettes : Scénario pour Bunnies & Burrows
Pour qui sont ces serpents qui sifflent sur Calueche ? : Scénario pour Traveller
Dans les profondeurs du sanctuaire de Nergal : Scénario pour Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Heroes & People : Scénario pour Villains & Vigilantes
Le moindre mal : Scénario pour Rolemaster
Cogito ergo : Scénario pour L’ Appel de Cthulhu
Fiat lux : Scénario pour Aftermath !
Reste vieux qui veut ! : Scénario pour Daredevils
Opération Sable Noir : Scénario pour James Bond 007

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:27 pm
snorri wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:03 pm
The funny thing is that while compiling the list of 10 choices for the poll, I was searching for the FASERIP rpg until I remembered that was not the actual name of the game... :D :D :lol:
Actually the retroclone superhero game by Blacky the Blackball is called FASERIP, so there is a game called that. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am

Only played Villains & Vigilantes, and quite a bit of it up until about 8 years ago. During that time, one of our group found his ancient TSR Marvel Super Heroes set, and let me look it over. THAT is one game I always wanted to play, but never found the game in stores, nor anyone else who had it was available.

I have been playing Heroclix with Marvel & DC heroes for the last few years, but it is not a roleplaying game; it is a miniatures battle game. Any RPG aspects of it come out during play, but only through the player's own decisions.

In October, Heroclix will be releasing a new version of the game with scenarios and character upgrades, called Marvel Strike Teams, but sadly, the game will not be compatible with the main Heroclix miniatures game. :(
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 am

I've played the following superhero games:
  • Heroes Unlimited
  • Marvel (TSR FASERIP)
  • GURPS Supers
  • Savage Worlds (homebrew setting with supers edges)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am
Only played Villains & Vigilantes, and quite a bit of it up until about 8 years ago. During that time, one of our group found his ancient TSR Marvel Super Heroes set, and let me look it over. THAT is one game I always wanted to play, but never found the game in stores, nor anyone else who had it was available.

I have been playing Heroclix with Marvel & DC heroes for the last few years, but it is not a roleplaying game; it is a miniatures battle game. Any RPG aspects of it come out during play, but only through the player's own decisions.

In October, Heroclix will be releasing a new version of the game with scenarios and character upgrades, called Marvel Strike Teams, but sadly, the game will not be compatible with the main Heroclix miniatures game. :(
I'll keep an eye open for the new marvel clixgame. I used to play a lot of Mech Warrior. Loved the fact you don't have to glue and paint them. Scenarios and character upgrades sound fun.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am
I'll keep an eye open for the new marvel clixgame. I used to play a lot of Mech Warrior. Loved the fact you don't have to glue and paint them. Scenarios and character upgrades sound fun.
Here is a link to an article describing it in slightly more detail than I have: http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/06/02/ ... -heroclix/ :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 am

I played V&V, always found it clunky and kind of kludged together, but still fun.

I played Champions for a while, but almost all the other players were all munchkin min/max types, which makes Champions totally not fun for me...

Similarly, the DC RPG from Mayfair was just... not fun. Too many numbers and weird scales

The MSH/FASERIP RPG for me is the absolute diamond standard, so everything else pales by comparison. It was designed to play like a comic book, and in my opinion nothing else even approaches it for playability and fun. Though as with comic books, your mileage may vary... and I was a Marvel Zombie as a kid (my Holy Trinity being Spider-Man/Thor/Hulk)...

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am

Mutants & Masterminds, TMNT & Other Strangeness.

As per TMNT, my character was made with that system but ported over to Rifts.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

JamesMishler wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 am
I played V&V, always found it clunky and kind of kludged together, but still fun.
Agreed. I recently sought out the revised edition (1982) which was the edition I played as a kid. I was surprised at how much the mechanics didn't quite fit my recollection of playing the game (they were much more complicated). My favorite part of it was, and still remains, the wonderfully colorful and rich characters that Jeff Dee and Jack Herman created for the game, though. It was a delight when I was able to pick up 3 of the 4 issues of their short-lived Eclipse comic series several years ago, in which we got to see how those same characters had grown and developed (even died and been resurrected, in at least one case!) in the years since the 1982 set had come out.

(All of which, I believe, was based around the actual events of the creators' own campaign, for those NPCs were in fact from that campaign.)

As to Marvel Superheroes, the FASERIP system works much better for that game than it did for Gamma World 3E, but I did find that it broke down a bit at the very cosmic levels where there were only a few column rankings (typically). I tried to run the Cosmos Cubed adventure at one point (with hopes of doing the entire trilogy), but it just wasn't quite as fun as the non-cosmic games.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm
As to Marvel Superheroes, the FASERIP system works much better for that game than it did for Gamma World 3E, but I did find that it broke down a bit at the very cosmic levels where there were only a few column rankings (typically). I tried to run the Cosmos Cubed adventure at one point (with hopes of doing the entire trilogy), but it just wasn't quite as fun as the non-cosmic games.
At that level of power, it really comes down to cunning and planning and the use of lower-powered allies, more like playing chess on a galactic level rather than battling with raw physical power. Its why things stay so stable on the cosmic level, until some anomalous group if mid- to high-power characters come along to unbalance things, one way or the other...

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:27 pm

JamesMishler wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 am
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm
At that level of power, it really comes down to cunning and planning and the use of lower-powered allies, more like playing chess on a galactic level rather than battling with raw physical power. Its why things stay so stable on the cosmic level, until some anomalous group if mid- to high-power characters come along to unbalance things, one way or the other...
I don't see how this is true. I'd be very interested in looking at a scenario which attempts to prove how and why this is true, and attempting on my own to prove otherwise. IE, give me a cosmic-powered character, and let me see if I can demonstrate an ability to single-handedly affect the scale of galactic events, and then deal with other cosmic beings trying to enforce the status quo, attempting to either persuade them of my logic or overcome them through clever use of my powers, to defeat even more powerful beings. I would probably fail, but I'd be interested in proving that failure isn't inevitable.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 pm

OK, maybe I did not explain well enough.

In the Marvel Universe, Cosmic-level entities as a general rule do not battle things out on a one-to-one or even group-to-group level. That's not the way they work in the comic books, that is not the way they would work in the game. If they are on the same level, such as Asgardians and Giants, then yes, they will have battles now and again -- and these are the kinds of battles where whole worlds are collateral damage, sort of like how heroic battle on Earth leave parts of New York in ruins.

So even low-level Cosmic beings tend to avoid direct conflict if at all possible (though the Bad Guys are far more willing to mix it up, especially in Invasion-style events). They use [proxies, sort of like how the US and USSR used to have proxy wars rather than just launch nukes at each other.

It is all over in the comic books. The direct encounters between Cosmic-level beings are the exception to the rule, which is why they are so very notable, and there seem to be more than there really are by comparison to normal-level encounters.

The MSH game reflects this comic-book reality. If Thor tried to take on the Beyonder -- well, no challenge. Even if Odin tried, it would be like a fly buzzing around Thanos. We saw this in the Infinity War movie -- all the greatest heroes of Earth could not take down Thanos, and only Thor got even close... and failed...

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 pm

JamesMishler wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 pm
OK, maybe I did not explain well enough.

In the Marvel Universe, Cosmic-level entities as a general rule do not battle things out on a one-to-one or even group-to-group level. That's not the way they work in the comic books, that is not the way they would work in the game. If they are on the same level, such as Asgardians and Giants, then yes, they will have battles now and again -- and these are the kinds of battles where whole worlds are collateral damage, sort of like how heroic battle on Earth leave parts of New York in ruins.

So even low-level Cosmic beings tend to avoid direct conflict if at all possible (though the Bad Guys are far more willing to mix it up, especially in Invasion-style events). They use [proxies, sort of like how the US and USSR used to have proxy wars rather than just launch nukes at each other.

It is all over in the comic books. The direct encounters between Cosmic-level beings are the exception to the rule, which is why they are so very notable, and there seem to be more than there really are by comparison to normal-level encounters.

The MSH game reflects this comic-book reality. If Thor tried to take on the Beyonder -- well, no challenge. Even if Odin tried, it would be like a fly buzzing around Thanos. We saw this in the Infinity War movie -- all the greatest heroes of Earth could not take down Thanos, and only Thor got even close... and failed...
Ah, I see what you mean...I was never disputing that this sort of thing is how it actually works in the published. My point was to say that there's no real reason WHY this should be the case, beyond "the writers want to retain the status quo". If these individuals were actually operating as agents within a cosmos that isn't being micromanaged by an editorial team, with a financial incentive to keep their setting comfortably familiar (and not utterly trivialize popular-but-cosmically-irrelevant characters like Deadpool and Spider-Man, who can accomplish less good with their entire lives than Silver Surfer could do in five minutes, if nothing prevented him from operating unrestrained), then I fully expect that characters with "cosmic power" should be able to utterly transform entire planets to their preference with a thought, and then other such characters can do the same, and sometimes they'll get in a shoving match. And I'd rather not see those battles handwaved as "this is metaphorically the equivalent of a game of chess, so we'll just depict it in the comic as literally a game of chess". I want to see all the planet-shattering explosions, all the laser beams in alien colors humans don't have names for (well obviously I can't actually *see* those, but you get what I mean), all the clever tricks where two equally powerful characters try to outmaneuver each other instead of canceling out. If done poorly, it'll be dumb as hell, but if it's written skillfully and/or illustrated with incredible talent, the result is something epically wondrous, something that deserves to go down in history.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”