New D&D Survey

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

New D&D Survey

Post by shesheyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Just filled this survey. Lots of questions about your D&D gaming habits, play style and preferences. Includes a question about your favorite setting. I checked Spelljammer :

Survey link :
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4495590/ddsurvey
Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: New D&D Survey

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I checked Dragonlance for favorite setting, wrote in psion for favorite class, and wrote in kender for race.

#represent
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

Fans of obscure settings like Council of Wryms remember to choose Other then type in your setting in the box that appears. Let’s get Council of Wryms and other small settings back in the game.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am

Completed it myself. Even let them know that I'm buying the books for sake of retro-conversion because I'm not a fan of the system.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 pm

For what little good it will do, I submitted my feedback. Not that it's really what Wisbro wants to hear.

1) I don't care for the Realms.
2) I don't want your Realms-related merch. (See #1 above)
3) I don't listen to your streams/'casts (See #1 above)

But -- plugged The Known World/Mystara for favorite setting, and wrote in Fantasy Empires among the computer games I've played.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 pm
I checked Dragonlance for favorite setting, wrote in psion for favorite class, and wrote in kender for race.

#represent
Psionic kender..... :shock: :o
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Psionic kender..... :shock: :o
Fizban help us. :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I went for Spelljammer too.

There are other campaign settings I would like to see come back, but Spelljammer is my primary setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm
I went for Spelljammer too.

There are other campaign settings I would like to see come back, but Spelljammer is my primary setting.
I hesitated a lot between Dark Sun and Spelljammer. I went for SJ because it opens up doors to new worlds and ship travel between them. I was never a fan of the Planescape concept. I prefer travel by boat on water, in the air or in space! ;)

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 pm
But -- plugged The Known World/Mystara for favorite setting
Same though!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Wrote in Ghostwalk, even though it's probably less to my preference than Planescape overall, just for the sake of representing an unpopular option.

For my three favorite classes I picked Binder, Incarnate, and Swordsage. You can probably pick up on the theme.

Had to write in my single favorite race, the Illumians, but opted not to be a complete nonconformist this time, and put Dragonborn and Goliath above more write-in candidates such as Spellscale and Duskling.

Obviously I've played. 3rd and 5th. It's been more than 6 months in both cases.

Wish we had spoiler blocks for these next sections:
survey wrote: Game sessions with constant action and excitement.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Taking charge of the team and deciding how to proceed.: Very Important ⚪

Making sure everyone in the group is having a good time.: Very Important ⚪

Using D&D as an outlet for creative self-expression (e.g., sketching characters, painting miniatures, writing stories/lore).: Extremely Important ⚪
Being a powerful hero that defeats villains and monsters.: Slightly Important ⚪

The open-ended nature and sense of freedom in D&D.: Slightly Important ⚪

Helping others learn how to play D&D.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Leveling up my character as quickly as possible.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Exploring many different places in the campaign world setting.: Very Important ⚪

Being the note-taker / keeper of knowledge for the group.: Not Important At All ⚪
survey 2: the surveyning wrote:
Creating the lore/history for a specific aspect of a campaign setting (e.g., The History of Witches).: Very Important ⚪

Spending quality time with my friends and family.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Sharing my D&D-related artwork/setups/stories with other people.: Slightly Important ⚪

Campaigns with elaborate narratives and plot.: Extremely Important ⚪

Finding the perfect miniature to represent my character.: Not Important At All ⚪

Creating characters with detailed personalities, quirks, and motives.: Very Important ⚪

Making sure the game sessions run as smoothly as possible by taking care of logistics/scheduling.: Slightly Important ⚪

Learning about the different cultures/customs/locales in the campaign world setting.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Taking the time to consider and weigh all the options before taking action.: Slightly Important ⚪

Trying out a wide range of characters with different personalities/traits.: Extremely Important ⚪
why exactly are these grouped this way? wrote:
Being the mapper for the group.: Not Important At All ⚪

Coordinating what other team members do (during an adventure/encounter).: Slightly Important ⚪

Accumulating powerful weapons, spells, and artifacts.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Being part of a fun group activity.: Very Important ⚪

Coming up with creative solutions to encounters/interactions.: Very Important ⚪

Creating unique characters that express my individuality.: Very Important ⚪

Creating guides/podcasts to help players get started with D&D.: Not Important At All ⚪

Taking risks and being unpredictable just to see what happens.: Very Important ⚪

Creating elaborate backstories for my characters.: Very Important ⚪

Always taking bold (combative) action.: Slightly Important ⚪
These are ALL the question "How important are the following to you when you play D&D?" wrote:
Coordinating what players bring to the game sessions (e.g., snacks, drinks, dice, props, minis).: Not Important At All ⚪

Using miniatures in D&D gameplay.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Creating a homebrew world/campaign setting.: Extremely Important ⚪

Being able to do whatever I want in the context of the game.: Extremely Important ⚪

Talking to NPCs to learn about their stories and motives.: Very Important ⚪

Overcoming challenges with careful decision-making.: Extremely Important ⚪

Discovering hidden locations, long-lost secrets, or buried artifacts.: Very Important ⚪

Introducing new players to D&D.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Surprising other players (and the DM) with unexpected actions and choices.: Slightly Important ⚪

Creating D&D-inspired artwork/displays/costumes/dioramas.: Not Important At All ⚪
this is becoming tiresome wrote:
Having many rulebooks and guides in my own personal library/collection.: Slightly Important ⚪

Fighting and slaying monsters.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Making sure my characters fit the theme and story of the campaign.: Slightly Important ⚪

Being fully immersed in the role and mindset of my characters.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Being part of a team working towards a common goal.: Slightly Important ⚪

Being able to play one specific archetype I enjoy (e.g., a lone-wolf Ninja character).: Slightly Important ⚪

Using 3D dungeon terrain in D&D gameplay.: Slightly Important ⚪

Identifying creative ways to solve challenges and obstacles.: Very Important ⚪

Leading the group during gameplay.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Researching rulebooks/online to optimize class/skill combinations.: Very Important ⚪
please let this be the last one wrote:
Creating my own adventures/campaigns.: Very Important ⚪

Being disruptive and contrarian to make things more interesting.: Slightly Important ⚪

The rulebooks and guides feature amazing artwork.: Very Important ⚪

The full creative freedom I have when playing D&D.: Very Important ⚪

Constantly seeking out new adventures and experiences in the game world.: Extremely Important ⚪

Have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game rules.: Very Important ⚪

Volunteering to help run D&D meetups and similar local store events.: Slightly Important ⚪

Helping players figure out how to DM for their first time/become a better DM.: Extremely Important ⚪

Collecting D&D special edition books/sets.: Not Important At All ⚪

Being the person who goes in first to every room/encounter.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Solving most problems with brute force and combat.: Slightly Important ⚪
Oh god, that's not the end. I'd better take a break.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:44 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:37 pm
Oh god, that's not the end. I'd better take a break.
I got it all completed in one go.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 pm

RobJN wrote:
My favourite stream is AuldDragon's Adventures in Space. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm

willpell wrote:
Use the hide tag, if you don't want people to read spoilers.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:08 pm

holy cow, that was a long survey!

Noted the following: Mystara was not listed, so you had to type in "other". *sigh*

I still managed to plug Mystara and listed Tortles as my favorite race. I was thinking about listing another Mystara race, but I really dont want them to offer a new FR product featuring that race. Tortles have already been ported to the FR now, so might as well hope for more supplements for that one to raid from.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:19 pm

RobJN wrote:
For what little good it will do, I submitted my feedback. Not that it's really what Wisbro wants to hear.

1) I don't care for the Realms.
2) I don't want your Realms-related merch. (See #1 above)

But -- plugged The Known World/Mystara for favorite setting
Pretty much, I also did this. Just change Mystara for Nentir Vale :P

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm

section 7 wrote:
Being part of an engaging, ongoing storyline.: Very Important ⚪

Playing the same character persona/archetype in every campaign.: Not Important At All ⚪

Chatting and interacting with a group of people.: Very Important ⚪

Creating my own custom classes/races/NPCs/monsters/spells/artifacts.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Having a large collection of miniatures and/or dungeon terrain.: Slightly Important ⚪

Characters/monsters are beautifully illustrated in the books.: Very Important ⚪

Volunteering at GenCon and similar community events.: Not Important At All ⚪

Game events/scenarios that require a lot of thinking and planning.: Very Important ⚪

Maximizing combat performance by carefully optimizing attributes and gear.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Speaking and interacting “in character”.: Somewhat Important ⚪
section 8 wrote:
Keeping everyone on their toes by being unpredictable.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Game sessions with lots of dramatic scenes and interesting characters to talk to.: Extremely Important ⚪

The tactile experience of playing D&D (e.g., rolling dice, moving minis in 3D terrain, paging through books).: Very Important ⚪

Solving puzzles.: Very Important ⚪

Bonding over a shared experience with my play group.: Very Important ⚪

Resolving obstacles and encounters with sound tactics and strategy.: Extremely Important ⚪

Dominating the bad guys in combat.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Making sure my characters are as powerful as possible.: Very Important ⚪

Knowing everything there is to know about the lore of the campaign setting.: Slightly Important ⚪

Creating unique accents/mannerisms/quirks to roleplay my characters.: Slightly Important ⚪

Being part of a community of D&D players.: Somewhat Important ⚪

Identifying myself as a D&D fan through clothing, accessories, symbols, or in-jokes.: Slightly Important ⚪
There, finally, that's over. I have to guess on when I started playing D&D; it was certainly not far enough back to have experienced 2nd edition, and I think 3.0 was 2003 or so, and I cut my teeth on that but it was not brand-new at the time, so I guessed 2005.

"How were you introduced to D&D?": "Don't remember, I didn't think I was starting a lifelong hobby or anything, so I didn't really pay attention."
Just guessing that my introduction to D&D (not the first time I knew it existed, but the first time I cared) was probably the same day I played it first.

I didn't buy into the game until long after I first played it. (And why is the answer "I don't own any books" greyed out? O_o)

Don't remember exactly when I acquired my first D&D book, but the semi-accurate answer which I picked over other plausible candidates, because Rule of Funny: "An obsolete Monster Manual which I mostly bought for the pictures of topless succubi".
And then the over-mechanized society we live in shows itself to great comedic effect:
20. You mentioned the first D&D product you owned was a An obsolete Monster Manual which I mostly bought for the pictures of topless succubi.
How was this product obtained? (I answered "Bought Secondhand" because that seems like it should be distinct from the "purchased myself" answer, which implies buying it new.)

Again, bending my answers for the sake of commentary: "This wasn't my first {purchase} ever, but I only ever bought my 5E books because I got a 3-for-$100 deal."

Haven't bought a new book in more than a year because "NO F***ING MONEY".

I've created more than 10 characters. I've created more than 100 characters...this year. Hell, I may have created more than 1000, lifetime total. I am unable to inform Wotco of the second two facts.

Built my first character myself out of a book, or so I assume. And yes I've been a DM. "Existing DM was either absent for a week or just needed a break." plus "I wanted to create my own stories." and "I wanted to be a storyteller." and "I wanted to create/run adventures in my own world."
Again, just guessing on the year. My guess was 2010, and then I said that I had probably only ever done it for 5E, not 3E, so one of those is false for sure, but I don't recall the truth. It last happened more than a year ago, but I still count myself as an active DM, the same way I consider myself a data entry professional despite almost eight months of unemployment. I use current and past publications as well as homebrew, but not enough third party to be worth mentioning. (That section also has an "other" section, I don't know what you could put in there which isn't covered by the four options they give, since "third party" pretty much covers everything that isn't homebrew, TSR or Wotco.)

Guessing I first tried 5E in 2015, though it might have been a year later. I played for about a year and it's been about a year since then, so it lines up pretty well either way, depending on the value of "about". I own only the three corebooks, but I played one session in Curse of Strahd and an entire campaign of Princes of the Apocalypse; according the survey those are equivalent.

"Moderately" interested (that's the second-highest pick) in the Ravnica book, "Somewhat" so in Dragon Heist (which is out already and I've seen it; it doesn't super-appeal to me, but at least it's a nod to the idea of making urban adventures work better in this edition, so I approve to some extent), and "not at all" in all the other listed products, aside from the "gift set" which I have no idea about. I hadn't yeard they were making special dice, but it doesn't surprise me, and I super-don't care. (I wish I could distinguish degrees of not caring; the Waterdeep adventure is less uninteresting to me than a bunch of custom dice, but still below the threshold.)
And oh look, it's another set of radio buttons, what fun. wrote: 38. How important are the following to you when deciding to buy a D&D book?

Character backgrounds: Somewhat Important ⚪
Character races: Slightly Important ⚪
Character classes: Somewhat Important ⚪
Subclasses for existing character classes: Not At All Important ⚪
Feats: Slightly Important ⚪
Spells: Not At All Important ⚪
Magic items: Somewhat Important ⚪
Monsters: Somewhat Important ⚪
Adventures: Somewhat Important ⚪
Lore and world information: Very Important ⚪
No I haven't bought your branded merchandise. And I've spent no money on you, which means you probably aren't even going to count the rest of my survey responses that I've put all this effort into. Sigh.
yet again goddammit wrote: 41. Please indicate your interest in each of the following.
Product bundle at a discounted price (e.g., gift set): Moderately appealing ⚪

Special edition products with new content: Moderately appealing ⚪

Other game accessories (e.g, dice, DM screen) as a gift with purchase: Not appealing at all ⚪

Other D&D-branded non-game items (e.g., t-shirt, mug, dice bag, etc.) as gift with purchase: Not appealing at all ⚪

Instant price reduction on a single product: Slightly appealing ⚪

Special edition products with alternate cover/packaging: Not appealing at all ⚪

An official fifth edition D&D product (e.g., core rulebook, adventure) as a gift with purchase: Moderately appealing ⚪

Online/In-store coupons: Not appealing at all ⚪

I wish "actively insulting" was one of the options I could pick on this one...
Never quite played a D&D video game, which I'm quite sad about (I know that Planescape Torment at least would be worth my time if I ever got around to it). I downloaded D&D Online (the Eberron one) once, but due to some trouble with servers I never actually played it; just as well, since MMOs are designed to be addictive, and I would have been cut off when I lost home internet, not long after that. (It's hard enough to deal with my having lost Second Life that way, and SL is probably the least effective MMO ever in terms of keeping the player glued to it.)

I'm going to lie a bit on the next question; I don't actually play D&D video games (can't yet), go to conventions (anymore) or play their board games (haven't gotten around to it), but I'll count myself as interested enough in those that I should signify them, along with "collecting items", "reading rules", "writing creatively" and "creating stuff". (I only do worldbuilding, and that question lumps this in with drawing maps and shit, which I don't have much interest in. These surveys are never written right.)

No, I do not "follow" D&D, because social media can go f*** itself. Maybe an hour a week, if that, of D&D videos that I watch, but I don't count YouTube as a social media platform, since commenting on videos is a distant fifth priority behind watching videos, watching more videos, deciding which videos to watch later, and eventually watching some of them.

I don't play with family members (and for some reason this is greyed out). I'll give them a 5 for recommending, because "I don't like to be pushy in that way; I'm not likely to bring up the topic of "hey you should devote some of your limited time on this planet to performing this pointless but recreational activity". A more relevant question might be how D&D compares to other RPGs in that regard, which is that you're better than most of the crap that's out there, but by no means are you the best."

I have played MTG (almost entirely in the past), Arkham Horror (that one I'd like to play again, but it's somewhat unlikely to happen) and Gloomhaven (have played once or twice and would happily pick up again, but it's not something I have access to regularly). The only game on their poll that I would regard myself as "Currently playing" is Betrayal at House on the Hill. (Why the dickens does this poll, of all polls, not mention "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate"? Marketing fail!)
My three "Currently Playing" games (two of which I'm specifying mostly just to make the reader of this poll scratch their head a bit):
1. Sentinels of the Multiverse: The Cauldron Fan Expansion
2. Mystic Vale
3. Monsterpocalypse 1.0

And with my age and gender responses, I'm finally done! "Thank you for taking part in our survey. Your response is very important to us.". Yeah, I totally believe that after you asked me whether I was going to spend money on you or not.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm
willpell wrote:
Use the hide tag, if you don't want people to read spoilers.
The issue is not keeping the post secret, but keeping it SHORT. I apologize for flooding this board so much. Feel free to split my two posts off into their own "Pell's survey responses" thread, if you want to unclutter this one.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 pm

The year selection drop down menus didn't work for me...

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm

"How many characters have you ever created? 0/1/2-5/6-10/More than 10"

:lol:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm

timemrick wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm
"How many characters have you ever created? 0/1/2-5/6-10/More than 10"

:lol:
I made more than 10 characters just with B/X !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm
section 7 wrote:

No I haven't bought your branded merchandise. And I've spent no money on you, which means you probably aren't even going to count the rest of my survey responses that I've put all this effort into. Sigh.

And with my age and gender responses, I'm finally done! "Thank you for taking part in our survey. Your response is very important to us.". Yeah, I totally believe that after you asked me whether I was going to spend money on you or not.
I spent most of my life in the land of No F**king Money so I sympathise. I do feel that there was no chance to tell them that the reason you don't buy stuff is 'No Money' shows you how out of touch the survey writer was.
However, since they didn't ask that and looking at your responses they will assume there is some way they can make something you want. Even if you have no money now and never have money you are part of a play group and influence what others buy. WOTC does not intend to serve a niche market they want D&D to dominate the RPG market and appeal to as many people as possible.
So actually, if you are not buying their stuff your responses are likely to be even more closely scrutinised. This is our chance to get WOTC to make stuff we as a community want.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm
I made more than 10 characters in my first hour with B/X :ugeek:
Rob

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Yeh, maybe they should have made this question characters per year.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm
RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Yeh, maybe they should have made this question characters per year.
Or per edition. The question should have been. How many characters did you play. Then a second question: how many did you create as a DM. They should have made 2 surveys. One for DMs and one for players and give the option of answering both.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”