New D&D Survey

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: New D&D Survey

Post by shesheyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm
willpell wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm
section 7 wrote:

No I haven't bought your branded merchandise. And I've spent no money on you, which means you probably aren't even going to count the rest of my survey responses that I've put all this effort into. Sigh.

And with my age and gender responses, I'm finally done! "Thank you for taking part in our survey. Your response is very important to us.". Yeah, I totally believe that after you asked me whether I was going to spend money on you or not.
I spent most of my life in the land of No F**king Money so I sympathise. I do feel that there was no chance to tell them that the reason you don't buy stuff is 'No Money' shows you how out of touch the survey writer was.
However, since they didn't ask that and looking at your responses they will assume there is some way they can make something you want. Even if you have no money now and never have money you are part of a play group and influence what others buy. WOTC does not intend to serve a niche market they want D&D to dominate the RPG market and appeal to as many people as possible.
So actually, if you are not buying their stuff your responses are likely to be even more closely scrutinised. This is our chance to get WOTC to make stuff we as a community want.
When I had no money I didn't spend it on beer and such. I spent it on D&D stuff. More value for the money! Beer just goes down the toilet...

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Coronoides wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm
willpell wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 pm
section 7 wrote:

No I haven't bought your branded merchandise. And I've spent no money on you, which means you probably aren't even going to count the rest of my survey responses that I've put all this effort into. Sigh.

And with my age and gender responses, I'm finally done! "Thank you for taking part in our survey. Your response is very important to us.". Yeah, I totally believe that after you asked me whether I was going to spend money on you or not.
I spent most of my life in the land of No F**king Money so I sympathise. I do feel that there was no chance to tell them that the reason you don't buy stuff is 'No Money' shows you how out of touch the survey writer was.
However, since they didn't ask that and looking at your responses they will assume there is some way they can make something you want. Even if you have no money now and never have money you are part of a play group and influence what others buy. WOTC does not intend to serve a niche market they want D&D to dominate the RPG market and appeal to as many people as possible.
So actually, if you are not buying their stuff your responses are likely to be even more closely scrutinised. This is our chance to get WOTC to make stuff we as a community want.
When I had no money I didn't spend it on beer and such. I spent it on D&D stuff. More value for the money! Beer just goes down the toilet...
When I say no money I really mean it. Most of that period of about 20 years I was on less money than the dole. I lived on rice for months and at one point I got scurvy. I have been technically homeless sleeping on the concrete floor of a complete stranger for 3 months. Beer was just not an option most of that time.
Now days I’m an ever so slightly known research scientist so I’m doin’ ok now.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am

I agree with the both of you. 5e is forbiding (for me at least) because its way too expensive (Dragon Heist + Undermomtain cost way too much in Colombian Pesos, like my combined annual salary...). And, personally, right now I cannot afford something that pricey.

Couple that with their focus in an FR that fears change, their lack of support for older settings, and their disregard for Nentir Vale (reckoning its lore cuz reasons, and not even recognizing its existence when they talk about the D&D multiverse), and I have few reasons to even want to try 5e.

I am only considering it because all people I know only wants to play 5e...

Disclaimer: this is not an edition war argument, just my honest opinion. And perhaps, a bit of a rant...
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:19 pm
Pretty much, I also did this. Just change Mystara for Nentir Vale :P
Same. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am
Couple that with their focus in an FR that fears change, their lack of support for older settings, and their disregard for Nentir Vale (reckoning its lore cuz reasons, and not even recognizing its existence when they talk about the D&D multiverse), and I have few reasons to even want to try 5e.
"D&DForgotten Realms encompasesappropriates ALL worlds" -- Wizards
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm
RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm
I made more than 10 characters just with B/X !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I made more than 10 characters in my first hour with B/X :ugeek:
Yeh, maybe they should have made this question characters per year.
I posted a screencap of this question to Facebook, and one of the players in my home game replied, "in the last week." He knows me, all right. ;)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 pm

My answers clearly indicated that while I'm «very» interested in 5e and playing it, I'm not interested in any adventures taking place, or transposed in the Forgotten Realms. I only buy books that give me more monsters, races and magical items. I even cancelled my pre-order of Ravnica two weeks ago. Spelljammer is the only setting that would interest me at the juncture.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm

RobJN wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am
"D&DForgotten Realms encompasesappropriates ALL worlds" -- Wizards
I wouldn't mind this if they offered support for other settings as well. They tried to do that with their earlier products, even if it was a half-hearted way (such as the suggestions in the SCAG and Princes of the Apocalypse). Before the Eberron's Guide they even weren't trying. And the Guide seems to be mostly. Keith Baker's work, so WotC isn't even trying yet...

Return to “The Squishy Bits”