Beginner adventures for 3 players ?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Beginner adventures for 3 players ?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Regardless of D&D editions or setting, which adventure is best suited for first level characters with only 3 characters? I'm talking fun and a good story. I can adjust the crunch part towards 5e easily.
Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Beginner adventurer for 3 players ?

Post by Khedrac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Not that good a story, but I always liked The Beacon at Enon Tor - an introductory adventure for Basic D&D in an early Imagine magazine.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Regardless of edition, only 3 characters mean you get an incomplete party. Thus, it is likely that an adventure focusing more on investigation and less on combat would be more suitable. As such, I'd consider Arena of Thyatis.
That said, it is obvious that depending on edition, a party of three characters may be quite different depending on the choice of classes -- if there is no cleric, e.g., I wouldn't choose an undead-heavy adventure, etc.

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Post by Illuminatus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I’ve been pondering more or less the same question as I prepare for an upcoming game. I consulted my handy-dandy spreadsheet of all official adventures for BECMI/1e/2e (I don’t have anything later) and compiled a list of possibilities. I’m sure you’re already familiar with all the classic old 1st-level modules, so the list below is limited to Dungeon-magazine adventures with (1) low level requirements and (2) low total # of characters. I eliminated a few (but not necessarily all) that were not so much adventures as encounters.

Elven Home, Issue 1, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Trouble at Grog’s, Issue 4, 1 character, level 1
Nightshade, Issue 7, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Night of Fear, Issue 28, 1 character, level 1
Legacy of the Liosalfar, Issue 42, 2-4 characters, level 1
Dovedale, Issue 46, 2-3 characters, levels 1-3
When the Light Goes Out, Issue 47, 1 character, level 1
Redcap’s Rampage, Issue 54, 2-5 characters, levels 1-3
Janx’s Jinx, Issue 56, 3-5 characters, levels 1-2
Murder of Maury Miller, Issue 57, 3-6 characters, level 1
Bad Batch of Brownies, Issue 58, 1 character, level 1
Challenge of Champions, Issue 58, 1-4 characters, levels 1+
Ghost at Widder Smithers, Issue 62, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Invisible Stalker, Issue 63, 3-4 characters, levels 1-2
Plundering Poppof, Issue 72, 2-4 characters, levels 1-3
Visiting Tylwyth, Issue 77, 2-6 characters, level 1
Ashtar’s Temple, Issue 81, 3-6 characters, level 1
Skulking Below, Issue 81, 3-6 characters, levels 1-2

The only ones I ever played were Dovedale and Visiting Tylwyth, either of which I would recommend if you like scenarios with kind of a fairy-tale feel. When the Light Goes Out left an impression on me when I read it, and I always wanted to run it but never did. It’s a one-on-one but could easily be amped-up for three characters.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Illuminatus wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm
I’ve been pondering more or less the same question as I prepare for an upcoming game. I consulted my handy-dandy spreadsheet of all official adventures for BECMI/1e/2e (I don’t have anything later) and compiled a list of possibilities. I’m sure you’re already familiar with all the classic old 1st-level modules, so the list below is limited to Dungeon-magazine adventures with (1) low level requirements and (2) low total # of characters. I eliminated a few (but not necessarily all) that were not so much adventures as encounters.

Elven Home, Issue 1, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Trouble at Grog’s, Issue 4, 1 character, level 1
Nightshade, Issue 7, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Night of Fear, Issue 28, 1 character, level 1
Legacy of the Liosalfar, Issue 42, 2-4 characters, level 1
Dovedale, Issue 46, 2-3 characters, levels 1-3
When the Light Goes Out, Issue 47, 1 character, level 1
Redcap’s Rampage, Issue 54, 2-5 characters, levels 1-3
Janx’s Jinx, Issue 56, 3-5 characters, levels 1-2
Murder of Maury Miller, Issue 57, 3-6 characters, level 1
Bad Batch of Brownies, Issue 58, 1 character, level 1
Challenge of Champions, Issue 58, 1-4 characters, levels 1+
Ghost at Widder Smithers, Issue 62, 1-4 characters, levels 1-3
Invisible Stalker, Issue 63, 3-4 characters, levels 1-2
Plundering Poppof, Issue 72, 2-4 characters, levels 1-3
Visiting Tylwyth, Issue 77, 2-6 characters, level 1
Ashtar’s Temple, Issue 81, 3-6 characters, level 1
Skulking Below, Issue 81, 3-6 characters, levels 1-2

The only ones I ever played were Dovedale and Visiting Tylwyth, either of which I would recommend if you like scenarios with kind of a fairy-tale feel. When the Light Goes Out left an impression on me when I read it, and I always wanted to run it but never did. It’s a one-on-one but could easily be amped-up for three characters.
WOW! great list! Thank you!

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Illuminatus wrote:
my handy-dandy spreadsheet of all official adventures for BECMI/1e/2e (I don’t have anything later)
Hats off! :shock:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Excellent list. I'd focus on the adventures listed for level 1, as those for level 1-3 might be difficult for a group of beginning characters, in particular Redcap's Rampage.

GP

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Illuminatus wrote:
I’ve been pondering more or less the same question as I prepare for an upcoming game. I consulted my handy-dandy spreadsheet of all official adventures for BECMI/1e/2e (I don’t have anything later) and compiled a list of possibilities.
I'm impressed, but how do you define "Official"? If you mean "published by TSR/WotC" then it looks to me as if you might be missing those published by TSR UK in Imagine magazine...

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

I like _The Raven's Call_ by Wolfgang Bauer. I've run it for a party of three, a party of two, and just one player, and have done so using three different rules systems. It's part stealth, part investigation, part role-playing, and part combat. So there are various ways to achieve the goal without having to just fight your way through it all. I scaled the encounters for the number and mix of PCs, and the plot works well whether there's a handful of enemies or significantly more.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm
Illuminatus wrote:
I’ve been pondering more or less the same question as I prepare for an upcoming game. I consulted my handy-dandy spreadsheet of all official adventures for BECMI/1e/2e (I don’t have anything later) and compiled a list of possibilities.
I'm impressed, but how do you define "Official"? If you mean "published by TSR/WotC" then it looks to me as if you might be missing those published by TSR UK in Imagine magazine...
They only lasted 2 years and I've never seen them on the shelf in Canada. I wasn't even aware this magazine existed before you mentioned it. Where can we find Imagine magazines PDFs?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm
I like _The Raven's Call_ by Wolfgang Bauer. I've run it for a party of three, a party of two, and just one player, and have done so using three different rules systems. It's part stealth, part investigation, part role-playing, and part combat. So there are various ways to achieve the goal without having to just fight your way through it all. I scaled the encounters for the number and mix of PCs, and the plot works well whether there's a handful of enemies or significantly more.
Sounds interesting from the description but its for level 3 characters. My characters are level 1.

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Post by Illuminatus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:04 am

Khedrac wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm
I guess I used that term without thinking too much about it...because your comment made me realize that the spreadsheet also doesn't include adventures published in Dragon magazine. So now I've got my work cut out for me...
shesheyan wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm
They only lasted 2 years and I've never seen them on the shelf in Canada. I wasn't even aware this magazine existed before you mentioned it. Where can we find Imagine magazines PDFs?
I found them at https://archive.org/details/Imagine14/page/n0

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:41 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
Sounds interesting from the description but its for level 3 characters. My characters are level 1.
The Pathfinder version of the adventure is for 1st level characters. I'm not sure what system/edition you're using, but you'd mentioned being comfortable converting from other editions, so it may still be a good choice for you. If you happen to be running 5e, it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the 5e version's difficulty down for 1st level characters.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 am

shesheyan wrote:
Legally? - I have no idea, sorry. I bought the first 10 or so as old stock from gaming shops (my main DM at the time asked me not to get the current issues as he was and he wanted to run the adventures so it seemed a reasonable request).

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:41 am
shesheyan wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
The Pathfinder version of the adventure is for 1st level characters. I'm not sure what system/edition you're using, but you'd mentioned being comfortable converting from other editions, so it may still be a good choice for you. If you happen to be running 5e, it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the 5e version's difficulty down for 1st level characters.
I play 5e. I'll look it it up. Thanks.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 am
shesheyan wrote:
Legally? - I have no idea, sorry. I bought the first 10 or so as old stock from gaming shops (my main DM at the time asked me not to get the current issues as he was and he wanted to run the adventures so it seemed a reasonable request).
What is your favorite beginner adventure from Imagine magazine?

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:53 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm
What is your favorite beginner adventure from Imagine magazine?
Khedrac wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:59 pm
Not that good a story, but I always liked The Beacon at Enon Tor - an introductory adventure for Basic D&D in an early Imagine magazine.
I had to look it up, but "The Beacon at Enon Tor" was in Imagine issue 1.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Beginner adventures for 3 players ?

Post by Gravesguardian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 am

Try "Escape from Zanzer Tem's Dungeon" from the big black boxset. With all the healing potions, no cleric needed and the only undead are 4 zombies.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Beginner adventures for 3 players ?

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:02 am

Gravesguardian wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:42 am
Try "Escape from Zanzer Tem's Dungeon" from the big black boxset. With all the healing potions, no cleric needed and the only undead are 4 zombies.
That's a good one, too.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”