RPG sewer guru taking questions on Twitter

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

RPG sewer guru taking questions on Twitter

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Stephen Rowe wants people to get sewers right in their games and is offering to take your sewer questions on Twitter:
@RiteRowe on Twitter wrote:Do you have sewer questions?!

I am a game designer/developer with 10 years of sewer engineering experience, and I am here to provide answers!

(Or at least do the research!)
Questions asked so far include: Have you ever used sewers in your game?

Have any of these sorts of questions come up in your research? Has Stephen given you any ideas about what you might want to do better?

Has anyone asked him any questions? What answers did he give you?

(Thanks to Sean K Reynolds, who pointed me - and others - at Stephen Rowe.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: RPG sewer guru taking questions on Twitter

Post by zontoxira » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am

I've rarely used sewers in my games, since the party doesn't stay in big cities (that would maintain a sewage system) for long. I might consider that, however, if we ever run an urban campaign.
My question would be, are the maps and designs of sewers in fantasy settings representative of real-world ones?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am
My question would be, are the maps and designs of sewers in fantasy settings representative of real-world ones?
Do you have a Twitter account to ask Stephen, or would you like me to ask him for you?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm
Stephen Rowe wants people to get sewers right in their games and is offering to take your sewer questions on Twitter:

Have any of these sorts of questions come up in your research? Has Stephen given you any ideas about what you might want to do better?

Has anyone asked him any questions? What answers did he give you?

(Thanks to Sean K Reynolds, who pointed me - and others - at Stephen Rowe.)
So, this guy is basically saying he's.....

....flush with information?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Interesting indeed to develop a sewer dungeon :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Sturm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am
Interesting indeed to develop a sewer dungeon :)
There is a city, called Manifest, in the Ghostwalk campaign setting, that has been destroyed and rebuilt twice. The people who rebuilt the city literally built the new city on top of the remains of the previous one, so there are two layers of Undercity below the current city.

I thought that might create some interesting sewers so decided to have a punt at fleshing out an adventure idea. The working title is: Manefestation of the Deathberg.

I'm not sure how far I'll get with the idea, but I'm going to try to use a few of the ideas I've spoken to Stephen Rowe about in my attempt.

I've never actually written an adventure before. Hopefully my first draft won't be too bad.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm
Do you have a Twitter account to ask Stephen, or would you like me to ask him for you?
It was more of a question to discuss here but, if you insist, you can always ask him :mrgreen:
---
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am

zontoxira wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm
It was more of a question to discuss here but, if you insist, you can always ask him :mrgreen:
I asked. :mrgreen:

He gave a detailed six Tweet answer:
@RiteRowe on Twitter wrote:It’s a bit of a complex question. By and large, if we are comparing to modern sanitary sewers, not really. They tend to be much larger than what we design, if only so Adventures (even Small-sized ones) can comfortably move around within.

There are larger storm or combined storm and sanitary sewers that can get quite large though. Likewise, if you don’t have access to magic or technology, you might have to build big simply for access purposes.

In general, I wouldn’t expect map makers or designers to create sewers with an eye to functionality, since the whole point is to be an easily available undercity dungeonscape. And there are all sorts of reasons why things could be Weird.

Here are a few rules though to help accuracy!

1) Everything should flow downhill, so from high elevation to low. If you need to jump from low to high, it requires pumping up.

2) Pipes should start small but get larger as you get further downstream. Sewers are designed to convey the expected flow, so the bigger the pipe, the more flow you should expect (when it rains).

3) Everything should either head to the nearest body of water (stream, river, ocean, etc.) or converge on a centralized location for treatment before discharge.
I do have some interest in real-world sewers, so I knew about the downhill bit already, but that's a pretty good answer.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am
Whoa, thanks Big Mac! Quite informative I must say.
---
---

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am
Big Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am
Whoa, thanks Big Mac! Quite informative I must say.
He is good, isn't he? :cool:

Return to “The Squishy Bits”