Campaign Settings with fantasy races on real Earth

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Sturm
Green Dragon

Campaign Settings with fantasy races on real Earth

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

The post by Angel on Chronica (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20653) prompted me to try to gather a list of Campaign Setting which have fantasy races inserted in real world history.
Torg, Rifts and Shadowrun are not the thing as they more or less happen in the near future or present.
Things like Fvlminata: Armed with Lightning and Lex Arcana also not the thing as they are more alternative histories with magic.
Same for the wonderful GURPS Alternate Earths 1 and 2
I'm thinking more to something like this: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8g8j?King ... orld-Guide a high fantasy Earth circa 1415 CE which seems very interesting with Rome as Republic of the Archmage, pagan gods dominating instead of Christianity and crudades against the orcs, but apparently the book is quite short
and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Swo ... ok_series) which seems to have a 10th century AD fantasy setting, also later became a rpg apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warriors but I do not know how much the setting was detailed.
There is also Flintloque which I belive it is a miniature game with fantasy races which fight the Napoleonic wars https://www.alternative-armies.com/coll ... ame-system but it is more armies obviously than setting
And this recently https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bu ... -core-book but I think it is focused on central America
However none of the above seems to have a much detailed world setting so I could just do one myself using ideas from all the above.
Other examples?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Campaign Settings with fantasy races on real Earth

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

BTW Dangerous Journeys it is not exactly what I intend as Aerth is mostly an alternative Earth with magic, and the other classical fantasy races mostly come from Phaeree, the faerie world and it seems their influence on the history of Aerth is somewhat limited...

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm

The Avalon Hill default setting for RuneQuest 3 was a Fantasy Earth (though the Delux set had the Glorantha book and most of the expansions produced were Glorantha, especially the later ones).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Ah yes I had read about that, but do you know if the fantasy Earth was well detailed?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm
The Avalon Hill default setting for RuneQuest 3 was a Fantasy Earth (though the Delux set had the Glorantha book and most of the expansions produced were Glorantha, especially the later ones).
The 'Mythic' series for RQ6/Mythras seems to be the same people thinking along the same lines. However, I only have Mythic Britain and there are no fantasy races in that one at least.
Along a similar line the TSR AD&D Href series included non-human PCs in historical periods.
HR1 Vikings had Troll-born (half-trolls)
HR 3 Celts had humans with traces of Sidhe or Fomorian blood.
Don't know about the others.
Back in the AD&D era when running celts I allowed full-blood Sidhe and Firbolg PCs
The AD&D castle guide assumes a setting much like medieval England and describes how Dwarves and Elves work in that kind of world.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 am

Also just remembered “The Burning City” and “Burning Tower” novels by Niven postulate a prehistoric Americas with magic including shape-shifters who could easily be PC races. The whales shape shift into giants.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 am

The Magitech setting for the Amazing Engine system put out by TSR.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:14 am

Sturm wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 pm
Ah yes I had read about that, but do you know if the fantasy Earth was well detailed?
Not very detailed - it was more "a paragraph here, a paragraph there".

Also, while we think about it, does Pendragon count? I am guessing not, since one only plays human, but the presence of the Fey raise the question of qualifying.

Which reminds me of a review I read of "For Faerie Queen and Country" - an Amazing Engine setting - would that qualify?
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 am

I had been contemplating a fantasy setting based in the Age of Sail Caribbean. The big problem for me was that I couldn't find a way to make the fantasy races work without creating issues with either ethnic stereotypes (if I went for "Mayans are elves" style racelifts) or social stereotypes (if I went for "manual labourers are orcs and nobles are elves" racelifts). Since I couldn't find a solution that didn't create a significant problem with racial stereotypes, I decided to scrap that concept. I'd revisit it if ever I solve that issue though.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Does Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play fit your description?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Many settings have real history with some degree of contact with monsters and fairy beings but unless they are a major presence in human society, such settings are not really what I mean.
What Ashtagon says it's true and probably the only way to avoid the problem is to re-write human history as if fantasy races were always present. But it is some work.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm

TSR's Amazing Engine Magitech setting was basically modern Earth with fantasy races and magic thrown in. It did racelifts based on ethnicity (Mayan elves, Khmer lizardfolk, Khazaki centaurs, dwarves occupying a role historically taken up by Jews, etc.). While this might have been acceptable in the 80s when it was published, I feel it's very awkward with modern social values having shifted since then. The setting was otherwise more or less a parallel Earth history, with a magical revolution replacing the industrial revolution, and viable space colonies on Venus (thanks to an ancient elves as Atlantean spacemen secret history).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Castle Falkenstein may or may not fit the bill. It has various fairie races (dwarves are also considered fairies in this setting) and a kind of dragons (Who can be PCs). However it is clearly an alternate Earth as Europe's coastlines have been altered as has certain historical events since powerful Fey are trying to prevent WWI from happening. The world also has magic and steam tech.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm
TSR's Amazing Engine Magitech setting was basically modern Earth with fantasy races and magic thrown in. It did racelifts based on ethnicity (Mayan elves, Khmer lizardfolk, Khazaki centaurs, dwarves occupying a role historically taken up by Jews, etc.). While this might have been acceptable in the 80s when it was published, I feel it's very awkward with modern social values having shifted since then. The setting was otherwise more or less a parallel Earth history, with a magical revolution replacing the industrial revolution, and viable space colonies on Venus (thanks to an ancient elves as Atlantean spacemen secret history).
I really liked the setting even though it was ethically dubious. I did mention it upthread.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 am

Khedrac wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:14 am
Which reminds me of a review I read of "For Faerie Queen and Country" - an Amazing Engine setting - would that qualify?
Yes if he wants Victorian Era (non-steampunk) fantasy. Being a fan of Katherine Brigs and BRitish Folklore and the Victorian era I wanted to like this book but the system wasn’t great and there were details in the execution that could have been better.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:22 am

Yes indeed Magitech and Castle Frankenstein would qualify, I knew they existed but forgot about them, thanks.
Yes rather than use an existing real world ethnicity and turning it into a fantasy race, which is borderline racist, it could be better to take a major human activity/outlook and attribute it to a fantasy race. That also could not be really reasonable, but is convenient for world building.
Easiest example are having elves as vaguely celtic-like people living in forests. They may have had an understanding with old celts and germans and be strongly opposers of the Roman Empire. Dwarves and gnomes could be instead the main promoters of mining and melting, putting them in direct confrontation with elves. The picture could be obviously complicated by different groups of fantasy races allying with different human groups, also to avoid stereotypizing too much. This could still ends up with a parallel modern world in which elves are hardline ecologists, gnomes believe in the information revolution while dwarves are very worried by deindustrialization.
Also a major decision is to detemne if the classic fantasy races are only present in the European environment or everywhere else.
There are fantasy like races in other cultures too (the Orang Bunian, Orang ketot and Orang kenit in Indonesia for example are quite similar to elves, dwarves and fairies or halfling) but maybe among America and Africa native culture races of intelligent animals would be more appropriate.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”