[Aerth] Dangerous Journeys (Mythus) Product List

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[Aerth] Dangerous Journeys (Mythus) Product List

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Gary Gygax' RPG Company New Infinities published its last products in 1988, but this was not Gary's last venture into RPG design.

In 1992, Gary created the RPG Dangerous Journeys. When Gary's company Trigee Enterprises launched Dangerous Journeys in cooperation with GDW, they were sued by TSR and the whole thing ended with an out of court settlement by where TSR bought the entire Dangerous Journeys. GDW also folded not much later. Gygax' next venture into RPG design would be Lejendary Adventure under a different company (Hekaforge). This Wikipedia article has more on all of this.

Dangerous Journeys (Published by GDW)
  • Mythus, the core rulebook (1992)
  • Mythus Magick, a compendium of spells and magick items (1992)
  • The Epic of Aerth, a campaign world book (1992)
  • Necropolis and the Land of Aegypt, a setting book and adventure module (1992)
  • Mythus Bestiary - a book of creature and monster statistics, concentrating on animals and beasts both mundane and weird (1992)
  • Mythus Game Master's Screen, a GM screen and book of charts (1992)
  • Mythus Prime, a simplified and streamlined version of the Mythus rules (1994)

From Necromancer Games /Frog God Games (D20 System)

Mythus novels

Video Games (Electronic Arts)
  • Unhallowed, a game of supernatural horror (Never released)
Does anyone have any experience with this game? Apparently Mythus was only one of multiple planned settings.

Vapourware (Never Published Material)
[*]Dangerous Journeys: Changeling RPG (Never published) - see details on the Urth Setting here

Magazines
  • Journeys #1 (GDW)
  • Journeys #2 (GDW)
  • Journeys #3 (GDW
  • Journeys #4 (GDW)
  • Journeys #5 (GDW)
  • Journeys #6 (GDW)
  • Mythic Masters Magazine (Trigee Enterprises) -- only single issue published?

-Havard

Edit: updated with information from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9814&p=155566#p155566

See also The Worlds of Gary Gygax thread
Last edited by Havard on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Dangerous Journeys (Mythus)

Postby timemrick » Thu May 01, 2014 1:20 am

Strangely enough, I attended grad school in Normal, IL, in 1992-1993, just as the game was launching, and GDW's HQ was only a few blocks off campus. I acquired a barely-used copy of the Mythus rulebook, and played in a demo game in a local bookstore, but that was the sum total of my experience with the game. I've since forgotten almost everything I once knew about the game, but I do recall that while some of the concepts for the setting and mechanics were intriguing, the rules were pure unfettered Gygax, at his most arcane and overwrought. Grad school left me barely any time or money to devote to my first love, D&D, so Mythus didn't really stand a chance of getting me hooked. By the time I had money and time to explore new systems again, Mythus was moribund.

I did, however, get to meet Gygax during that year, when he had a signing event at a local game store to help promote the game. That was one of the few things about that year that made the constant grind briefly bearable!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 am

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby happylarry » Thu May 01, 2014 9:06 am

I've got the first five books, and a few copies of Journeys (issues 3-6) which was the supporting 48 page bimonthly magazine.

Interestingly, Issue 6 of Journeys advertises the City of Ascalon campaign setting - which as far as i am aware, wasn't published.

I never got to play it, but I probably rolled / built a few characters. I do remember it as quite complicated - I'd been familiar with D+D and other systems for about 6 years by the time I got DJ but it still took a bit of thinking.

If people want, i can post information about what each of the five main books covers - will be fun to open them up again!
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Havard » Thu May 01, 2014 11:20 am

happylarry wrote:If people want, i can post information about what each of the five main books covers - will be fun to open them up again!

Please do! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby happylarry » Thu May 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Okay then. I'll just work through making comments. I'll try and keep the posts to a sensible length

Dangerous Journeys: Multigenre Roleplaying Game Syatem
Book 1: Mythus Fantasy Roleplaying Game

The book is 416 pages long, softback.

there is an editor's preface (page 5) dated April 1992 in which Lester Smith states that Gary has created a rules system with is like a descriptive grammar to AD+D's prescriptive grammar.

he argues that by using three Traits (Physical, Mental, Spiritual), which are further subdivided into Categories and Attributes and then a skill system the system allows for all kinds of characters.

Then we get to 'Welcome to the Mythus Game' (p6-9) where we learn:
  • that Mythus was envisaged as only one of a series of Dangerous Journeys products which would cover all genres of roleplaying
  • what roleplaying is (which i presume we know)
  • Aerth as the setting - 1000 years ago, and where magic (Heka) works, and science is useless. this is explained as a divergence in the space-time continuum. Heka is what makes the world go round which, by the way, has an underground world (Subteranena aerth), and is Hollow. thereis also the counter-world of Phaereee which overlaps with Aerth allowign crossover of creatues etc. The Heroic Persoans are part of the battle agaisnt the Accursed
  • we then get to game conventions - such as dice and sheets. the imnportant vocab here is Heroci persona (HP), other persona (OP = NPC?) and Evil Persona (EP)
  • we're told we might find a calcualtor useful for character creation...
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Havard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Updated the product list in the first post with some information from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9814&p=155566#p155566

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm

• NW1 Necropolis: Set's Daughter - Free preview module to Gary Gygax' Necropolis. Download PDF here

Added to the product list in the first post.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Aerth] Dangerous Journeys (Mythus) Product List

Postby JamesMishler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 am

There was a short-lived magazine, Journeys, published by GDW, that lasted for six issues.

There was thereafter a second magazine, Mythic Masters Magazine, of which I am uncertain if more than the premiere issue was ever printed; there are at least six issues that were published in text and/or PDF format. This was published by Trigee Enterprises (Gary's own label), apparently with Dangerous Journeys licensed back to Gary by GDW for the purpose.

I ran two campaigns of DJ: Mythus back when it first came out.

One took place in Aerth, during the Anarchy on the Isle of Albion. The Heroic Personas got to meet Wotan and found the scabbard of Excaliber.

The other campaign, I used the Perilous Lands campaign world from Powers & Perils. The HPs were chased halfway across the continent by a Korchi wizard that they had greatly upset... that one was a lot of fun.

I've always felt that DJ: Mythus was the best game that Gary had ever designed, if you like complex rules that are well-unified and not at all malleable.

Concurrently, Lejendary Adventure was the best game Gary ever designed, if you like simple and well-unified rulings that you can run with.

And then there was D&D, which is great if you like a set of rulings that you can run with; and AD&D, which worked great if you were more interested in a definitive set of rules that you could still move around in a bit.

I feel that Lejendary Adventure is to Dangerous Journeys: Mythus as D&D is to AD&D, essentially.
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Re: [Aerth] Dangerous Journeys (Mythus) Product List

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm

JamesMishler wrote:There was a short-lived magazine, Journeys, published by GDW, that lasted for six issues.

There was thereafter a second magazine, Mythic Masters Magazine, of which I am uncertain if more than the premiere issue was ever printed; there are at least six issues that were published in text and/or PDF format. This was published by Trigee Enterprises (Gary's own label), apparently with Dangerous Journeys licensed back to Gary by GDW for the purpose.

Thanks for sharing James!

I have added the magazines as well as the Changeling RPG to the product list.

It is fascinating how many RPG companies Gary worked with over the years:

I ran two campaigns of DJ: Mythus back when it first came out.

One took place in Aerth, during the Anarchy on the Isle of Albion. The Heroic Personas got to meet Wotan and found the scabbard of Excaliber.

Sounds pretty cool :)

The other campaign, I used the Perilous Lands campaign world from Powers & Perils. The HPs were chased halfway across the continent by a Korchi wizard that they had greatly upset... that one was a lot of fun.

Nice! I own the Perilous Lands Boxed set, but I havent yet been able to really get into that setting.

I've always felt that DJ: Mythus was the best game that Gary had ever designed, if you like complex rules that are well-unified and not at all malleable.

Concurrently, Lejendary Adventure was the best game Gary ever designed, if you like simple and well-unified rulings that you can run with.

And then there was D&D, which is great if you like a set of rulings that you can run with; and AD&D, which worked great if you were more interested in a definitive set of rules that you could still move around in a bit.

I feel that Lejendary Adventure is to Dangerous Journeys: Mythus as D&D is to AD&D, essentially.

That is a pretty useful analogy.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to The Crunchy Bits