How do you _____?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: How do you _____?

Post by Bouv » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:If it is a one day stand-alone game they die, if it is a campaign they always survive miraculously. The reason being that campaigns are about something more than merely surviving a dungeon, whereas stand-alones are all about surviving the dungeon.
That's my thinking - I've developed storylines for their characters into the campaign that goes beyond just exploring a dungeon and finding treasure. A brother is in jail for kidnapping, the thief's guild is going to want him broken out to placate powerful allies, and more!

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:47 pm

How do you handle DM/GM burnout?

I had this happen last year. I knew where I wanted the PC's to end up but had a hard time of figuring out how to get them there. Add to that a module I ran which I felt I let the players down with, I was just suffering some burnout. Taking some time off and actually reading a module that I wanted to run was what got me back up and running again. It was the connecting piece I needed.

Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Post by Michael Tumey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Bouv wrote:How do you handle DM/GM burnout?

I had this happen last year. I knew where I wanted the PC's to end up but had a hard time of figuring out how to get them there. Add to that a module I ran which I felt I let the players down with, I was just suffering some burnout. Taking some time off and actually reading a module that I wanted to run was what got me back up and running again. It was the connecting piece I needed.
Of my gaming group there are 6 participants, 3 of which (including myself) have had extensive GM experience, so at our table, any GM after about 3 months, switch GM seats with one of the other 2 experienced GMs at our table. However, we don't switch settings, rather using the same setting provided in the original GM's campaign, the other GMs essentially create side quests of our own invention within the same original setting, making sure what we add to the setting doesn't directly impact the main setting in an unexpected way (we discuss our intentions to the primary GM to see if anything we add would negatively impact the original campaigns goals). At our table, I am the primary GM, so I generally GM for 6 months out the year, and the other 6 months are shared between the two other GMs.

Because our players don't necessarily want to have to create new PCs every time the GM seat is rotated, this is the reason why run side quests within the same setting. Our table doesn't want to play 3 different settings/campaigns at a time, they want to run the same characters until the intended highest level is achieved.

Although it might not seem fair, in order to prevent a given GM's PC being seriously different in level to the other PCs at the table, we say our characters are adventuring elsewhere and are continuing to advance in level and gaining new magic items appropriate to our levels. So when a GM is a player once again, that player's PC is still on equal footing with the rest of the party. All the players accept this premise, so no one is dismayed that a given PC has equal experience to the rest of the party, even though they didn't continuously participate in the same party while that player was GMing.

For our table, this practice has proven to be an excellent means of preventing GM burn-out.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I was fortunate, that my group in high school, I think everybody GM'd something at one point or another, either one shots or extended campaigns, so we never really burned out. One guy ran Cyberpunk, another ran RIFTS, his brother and a friend of his co-Admin'd Top Secret/S.I. I ran D&D, my best friend ran us through Call of Cthulhu, Bunnies & Burrows, or board games. Wenever did get around to playing Risk, though, oddly enough....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 pm

I've only ever played in campaigns with multiple DM's, including myself, so the concept of leaning back and expect the same DM to perform each session is foreign to me.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm

In my regular group, my campaign (currently Pathfinder Freeport) is usually the main game, but other players occasionally take turns running something to give me a break. My wife has an Earthdawn campaign that she'll run for a story arc at a time (though she's currently running some Pathfinder instead at the moment, alternating with my game).

One player runs a game group of his own (for old friends in another state) so he only occasionally has time to run a one-shot for us. His wife has GMed in the past, but not in many years--though she is working on an idea for something when she has more free time.

One of our newer players ran some D&D 5E for us a while back. He's now too busy running that for another group to run more for us, though I recently got to join his new group as a guest, and soon full-time. My main group is awesome, but it's fun to get out and play with other people now and then, too! It''s something I rarely have time for these days, between work and being a parent.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:59 pm

How do you handle planar travel? Avoid it like the plague? If their on the Prime plane, they're doing something wrong?

I've mostly avoided it. My player's have gone to the demiplane of Shadow and will go to a pocket plane in the current module. I do find it can be a bit more "paperwork" heavy just remembering how magic items and spells are going to change, time changes, and other things, especially if the PC's don't have spells that allow for travel.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I love the planes, but my campaigns are usually too low-level for planar travel to be much of an option. I definitely don't tend to go for the "charge into hell and start killing devils" approach; I'm more interested in exploring the philosophical ramifications of the cosmology, having the characters investigate WHY the force of Evil emanates from the Lower Planes, rather than believing they can stop it just by killing enough of the right monsters.

Anyway, I generally stick with the Prime as a default, just because the game is generally better when grounded in verisimilitude.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”