[BRP] [RuneQuest] RuneQuest 6 Essentials as Free Download!

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[BRP] [RuneQuest] RuneQuest 6 Essentials as Free Download!

Post by Havard »

Lawrence Whitaker wrote:We are releasing RQ6 in a much-reduced, introductory PDF edition called RuneQuest Essentials. Designed for those who want to try RuneQuest before migrating to the full rules, it offers a great way of getting to know one of the most celebrated roleplaying game systems out there.

What's more, RuneQuest Essentials is free. You can download it fromwww.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads (or via DrivethruRPG and our publisher page there). If you feel we're being overly generous, then there's a Donate button you can use to make a contribution of whatever you feel appropriate - or, at Drivethru, you can Pay What You Want.

What we want is for you to try RuneQuest. We'll be publishing an introductory scenario, Sariniya's Curse, very soon, and there's already a wealth of additional free material available on the Downloads page.

So if you've never tried RuneQuest before, there's no better time, and no better way, than with RuneQuest Essentials.
Source: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... z344WFHIJx

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php

Its a complete game, fully illustrated. Pretty cool if you ask me. There are some other neat downloads on that page as well. :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: [BRP] [RuneQuest] RuneQuest Essentials as Free Download!

Post by Hugin »

Interesting to have a look at. I'm actually surprised at how many concepts they use that I've been working with in my developing system; at least they're done quite differently.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Combat looks very complex. I find MRQ II combat already fiddly, but this is way too much. Pity I would have liked to give it a try :|

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard »

rabindranath72 wrote:Combat looks very complex. I find MRQ II combat already fiddly, but this is way too much. Pity I would have liked to give it a try :|
I got to agree with you, just reading over it, I think Chaosium's RQ2 combat rules are simpler and more intuitive.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Good news but too late for me. I bought the Hardcover 2 months ago...

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Boneguard wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Combat looks very complex. I find MRQ II combat already fiddly, but this is way too much. Pity I would have liked to give it a try :|
I got to agree with you, just reading over it, I think Chaosium's RQ2 combat rules are simpler and more intuitive.
I am not familiar with Chaosium's RQ2, but I have played some Avalon Hill's RQ3 (which is rather simple) and Mongoose RQ2 (which really pushes the boundary of playability IMO.) But this RQ6 is really over the top; the magic section is very interesting, though; I might port it back to another version of RQ.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard »

rabindranath72 wrote: I am not familiar with Chaosium's RQ2, but I have played some Avalon Hill's RQ3 (which is rather simple) and Mongoose RQ2 (which really pushes the boundary of playability IMO.) But this RQ6 is really over the top; the magic section is very interesting, though; I might port it back to another version of RQ.
I,m not familiar with RQ3, but Chaosium RQ2 combat system is essentially:
- Roll for suprise (which is nasty);
- Then your modified Strike Rank (SR) indicated when in the 12 segments round you would strike (Archer have usually 2 attacks, whereas melee fighter usually just one.
- If you roll below your skill (modified by your combat bonus and your opponent defence bonus), you then check hit location, roll damage, reduce it by the armour and voilà.

The spacial combat rules were:
- Critical hit (Starting at 1% and climbing up to 10% for very highly skilled character (100+));
- Impaling (for spear, bows, crossbow and some swords) starting at 5% and climbing to 20% IIRC);
- Fumble (starting at 96+ and reducting to 00 for highly skilled character.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Boneguard wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote: I am not familiar with Chaosium's RQ2, but I have played some Avalon Hill's RQ3 (which is rather simple) and Mongoose RQ2 (which really pushes the boundary of playability IMO.) But this RQ6 is really over the top; the magic section is very interesting, though; I might port it back to another version of RQ.
I,m not familiar with RQ3, but Chaosium RQ2 combat system is essentially:
- Roll for suprise (which is nasty);
- Then your modified Strike Rank (SR) indicated when in the 12 segments round you would strike (Archer have usually 2 attacks, whereas melee fighter usually just one.
- If you roll below your skill (modified by your combat bonus and your opponent defence bonus), you then check hit location, roll damage, reduce it by the armour and voilà.

The spacial combat rules were:
- Critical hit (Starting at 1% and climbing up to 10% for very highly skilled character (100+));
- Impaling (for spear, bows, crossbow and some swords) starting at 5% and climbing to 20% IIRC);
- Fumble (starting at 96+ and reducting to 00 for highly skilled character.
Uh that's interesting, in RQ3 there's no roll for surprise, it's left completely to the GM to adjudicate. It inflicts 3 SR penalty to the surprised party (so yes, it can be nasty!) Also the combat round is 12 seconds long, but there are only 10 SRs. And there's no defence bonus.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard »

rabindranath72 wrote: Uh that's interesting, in RQ3 there's no roll for surprise, it's left completely to the GM to adjudicate. It inflicts 3 SR penalty to the surprised party (so yes, it can be nasty!) Also the combat round is 12 seconds long, but there are only 10 SRs. And there's no defence bonus.
Yeah sorry, I was going from memory this morning and after double checking: there's no suprise roll per say, it's also a GM call (but there are guideline) and also impose a 3SR penalty (1 SR penalty if further the 4m but less then 10 m).

And I forgot the first phase: whichi s everyone declare thier intent before rolling.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

For surprise checks, I would simply have both sides roll a Perception check (Listen or whatever).

Here's an overview of the different editions of RuneQuest.

Here's an overview of the different RuneQuest Settings.

There is a new "7th" edition coming out for RuneQuest from Chaosium as well, although this has the fandom torn up a bit.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”