Solo gaming

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Solo gaming

Post by shesheyan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Is there a rpg system that a person can play by himself?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Solo gaming

Post by timemrick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Tunnels & Trolls has a number of solo adventures available, ranging from a dozen or so pages to at least one in the 100-200 page range. (It's been years since I sold off the handful I owned, so have no idea what's available now.) The format is very similar to Choose Your Own Adventure books, but with game stats added in. T&T has very simple mechanics, so works very well with the solo game books.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:09 pm

TSR did release some Solo modules in their time.

Also, there are the Everquest books of course...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Some of the Gurp Conan adventure are solo.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Scarlet Heroes is a different take on solo gaming in BECMI and similar games. It basically modifies combat rules to allow a single PC to take on as many enemies as an entire party, then it provides a set of tables to generate solo adventures. It supports urban adventures (with tables providing random generation of investigations), dungeon crawl (with random dungeon generation and stocking), and wilderness exploration (with random hex and encounter generation). The three can be combined to create longer campaigns.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 pm

agathokles wrote:Scarlet Heroes is a different take on solo gaming in BECMI and similar games. It basically modifies combat rules to allow a single PC to take on as many enemies as an entire party, then it provides a set of tables to generate solo adventures. It supports urban adventures (with tables providing random generation of investigations), dungeon crawl (with random dungeon generation and stocking), and wilderness exploration (with random hex and encounter generation). The three can be combined to create longer campaigns.

GP
So if I understand correctly you can play by yourself without the need of a GM ?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, although it also works for one player + one GM (in which case you get rules for converting existing group adventures).

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm

agathokles wrote:Yes, although it also works for one player + one GM (in which case you get rules for converting existing group adventures).

GP
Interesting.

A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.
It was a solo adventure. I can't recall the name. Any of you remember that game?

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 am

shesheyan wrote:A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.
It was a solo adventure. I can't recall the name. Any of you remember that game?
I believe you are thinking of Barbarian Prince which came out in 1981. Here is a link to it's Board Game Geek page.

The best part is that is officially available as a free print-and-play now. Again, link here.

One of these days I'm going to get around to making and playing this game. There are apparently fan-made variants as well.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Hugin wrote:
shesheyan wrote:A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.
I believe you are thinking of Barbarian Prince which came out in 1981. Here is a link to it's Board Game Geek page.

The best part is that is officially available as a free print-and-play now. Again, link here.

One of these days I'm going to get around to making and playing this game. There are apparently fan-made variants as well.
OMG!
Yes that's it! Played that for hours in high school. Can't recall if I finished it. Lost track of my box a some point.
I'll download the files for later use.
Thanks for the link!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 pm

I recently began doing some solo play and I've been using what is called the Mythic Game Master Emulator. It's a pdf designed to be used by itself or with whichever game system you like to use. It's method of game mastering is you asking a question, rolling a d%, and then comparing that result to a chart to give you an idea of what might occur. I wouldn't say its "just like the real thing" but if you want to surprise yourself with a little bit of randomness this might help.

Drive Thru is currently selling the game 6.95 (American price) here: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/M ... c+Gam&it=1
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

DMMike
Orc

Post by DMMike » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Metagaming back in the day did several solo adventures for their Melee/Wizard microgames, and those pdfs are floating around the internet.

More recently I can recommend Ruins of the Undercity by Kabbuki Kaiser at:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/109 ... -Undercity

Save or Die did a review of it in episode 67 if you want some details before buying. "Iron Realm" is another podcast that covers solo D&D-ish adventuring and provides hits for home play. Its at:

http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Mike

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank you for the links. I'll look them up.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:03 am

DMMike wrote:"Iron Realm" is another podcast that covers solo D&D-ish adventuring and provides hits for home play. Its at:

http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the link Mike. It looks like "Iron Realm" has had 13 adventure sessions (since it was converted into a podcast campaign): I'm not sure I've got time to listen to them, right now, but I'll have a look through the descriptions. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I think that gamebooks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook can be effectively considered roleplaying solo games, so I think they are relevalt to this topic.
Here you can find a list of gamebooks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gamebooks
You can notice that quite a lot of them later on generated a RPG ruleset (like Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf) and quite a lot of them were actually generated from a RPG ruleset (like D&D and AD&D).

I think it is a fantastic world to explore.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 pm

If you use your imagination and don't cheat, you can play D&D by yourself :D

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 am

Havard wrote:TSR did release some Solo modules in their time.

Also, there are the Everquest books of course...

-Havard
I'm aware of the Endless quest books...did you mean those?

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 am

If you look at the list of old D&D modules (mainly BX/BECMI) you should find a few, looking at the Wikipedia list:
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
MSOL1: Blizzard Pass
MSOL2: Maze of the Riddle Minotaur
MV1: Midnight on Dagger Ally (AD&D - may not be solo as just listed as "magic viewer")
XSOLO: Lathan's Gold
XS2: Thunderdelve Mountain

I may have missed a few.

Other systems that published solo adventures include RuneQuest 2 (original) which produced a collection of shorts, an adventure or 2 and a entire boxed set solo adventure.

It can also be worth checking early fanzines if you can find them, e.g. "Tortured Souls" was a 1980s UK magazine entirely of adventures (mainly AD&D, some D&D & RQ etc.) which had one solo adventure per issue.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Khedran for the module titles. Still thinking about this project. Now I'm thinking I will use my Mage Knight hex tiles to randomize wilderness exploration and my dungeon tiles for dungeons.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm

I've played 5E D&D solo. It's simple enough to be manageable, though it's tedious, and doubly so if you don't put in the effort to create an easy quick-reference (I took twelve character sheets and fit them onto three sheets of blank paper, rendering all of the relevant information relatively easy to find; had I been using just four characters, it could have been done on one page).

I've yet to do actual play with 3E solo, since the rules are more complicated, but in theory it's not impossible.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 pm
So if I understand correctly you can play by yourself without the need of a GM ?
That's correct. If you can avoid peeking ahead in an adventure, you can also use it to run through old D&D modules or newer OSR adventures solo.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 pm
That's correct. If you can avoid peeking ahead in an adventure, you can also use it to run through old D&D modules or newer OSR adventures solo.
With my tiles, hexes and Scarlet Heroes seems like this could become a reality later this summer... for rainy days ! ;)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm adding Fantasy Trip «In the Labyrinth» (Steve Jackson/Metagaming Concepts) for its light ruleset. A series of solo micro quest were published. Its a hex based system. 3d6 save vs the character's attribute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantasy_Trip

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I’m having successs with Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/242400 ... dventuring

Here is me using it to play Storm King’s Thunderviewtopic.php?f=81&t=20195
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”