Solo gaming

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Solo gaming

Postby shesheyan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Is there a rpg system that a person can play by himself?
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Re: Solo gaming

Postby timemrick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Tunnels & Trolls has a number of solo adventures available, ranging from a dozen or so pages to at least one in the 100-200 page range. (It's been years since I sold off the handful I owned, so have no idea what's available now.) The format is very similar to Choose Your Own Adventure books, but with game stats added in. T&T has very simple mechanics, so works very well with the solo game books.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:09 pm

TSR did release some Solo modules in their time.

Also, there are the Everquest books of course...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boneguard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Some of the Gurp Conan adventure are solo.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby agathokles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Scarlet Heroes is a different take on solo gaming in BECMI and similar games. It basically modifies combat rules to allow a single PC to take on as many enemies as an entire party, then it provides a set of tables to generate solo adventures. It supports urban adventures (with tables providing random generation of investigations), dungeon crawl (with random dungeon generation and stocking), and wilderness exploration (with random hex and encounter generation). The three can be combined to create longer campaigns.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 pm

agathokles wrote:Scarlet Heroes is a different take on solo gaming in BECMI and similar games. It basically modifies combat rules to allow a single PC to take on as many enemies as an entire party, then it provides a set of tables to generate solo adventures. It supports urban adventures (with tables providing random generation of investigations), dungeon crawl (with random dungeon generation and stocking), and wilderness exploration (with random hex and encounter generation). The three can be combined to create longer campaigns.

GP

So if I understand correctly you can play by yourself without the need of a GM ?
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby agathokles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, although it also works for one player + one GM (in which case you get rules for converting existing group adventures).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm

agathokles wrote:Yes, although it also works for one player + one GM (in which case you get rules for converting existing group adventures).

GP

Interesting.

A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.
It was a solo adventure. I can't recall the name. Any of you remember that game?
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Hugin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 am

shesheyan wrote:A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.
It was a solo adventure. I can't recall the name. Any of you remember that game?

I believe you are thinking of Barbarian Prince which came out in 1981. Here is a link to it's Board Game Geek page.

The best part is that is officially available as a free print-and-play now. Again, link here.

One of these days I'm going to get around to making and playing this game. There are apparently fan-made variants as well.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Hugin wrote:
shesheyan wrote:A long time ago (1981-82?) I used to own a game that came in a box with a coloured hex map, a pewter barbarian and a book.

I believe you are thinking of Barbarian Prince which came out in 1981. Here is a link to it's Board Game Geek page.

The best part is that is officially available as a free print-and-play now. Again, link here.

One of these days I'm going to get around to making and playing this game. There are apparently fan-made variants as well.

OMG!
Yes that's it! Played that for hours in high school. Can't recall if I finished it. Lost track of my box a some point.
I'll download the files for later use.
Thanks for the link!
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Boddynock » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 pm

I recently began doing some solo play and I've been using what is called the Mythic Game Master Emulator. It's a pdf designed to be used by itself or with whichever game system you like to use. It's method of game mastering is you asking a question, rolling a d%, and then comparing that result to a chart to give you an idea of what might occur. I wouldn't say its "just like the real thing" but if you want to surprise yourself with a little bit of randomness this might help.

Drive Thru is currently selling the game 6.95 (American price) here: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?term=Mythic+Gam&it=1
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby DMMike » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Metagaming back in the day did several solo adventures for their Melee/Wizard microgames, and those pdfs are floating around the internet.

More recently I can recommend Ruins of the Undercity by Kabbuki Kaiser at:

www.drivethrurpg.com/product/109821/Rui ... -Undercity

Save or Die did a review of it in episode 67 if you want some details before buying. "Iron Realm" is another podcast that covers solo D&D-ish adventuring and provides hits for home play. Its at:

http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Mike
DMMike
Orc

Postby shesheyan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank you for the links. I'll look them up.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 am

DMMike wrote:"Iron Realm" is another podcast that covers solo D&D-ish adventuring and provides hits for home play. Its at:

http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link Mike. It looks like "Iron Realm" has had 13 adventure sessions (since it was converted into a podcast campaign):

I'm not sure I've got time to listen to them, right now, but I'll have a look through the descriptions. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:52 pm

I think that gamebooks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook can be effectively considered roleplaying solo games, so I think they are relevalt to this topic.
Here you can find a list of gamebooks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gamebooks
You can notice that quite a lot of them later on generated a RPG ruleset (like Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf) and quite a lot of them were actually generated from a RPG ruleset (like D&D and AD&D).

I think it is a fantastic world to explore.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Morfie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 am

If you use your imagination and don't cheat, you can play D&D by yourself :D
Morfie
Metamorph

Return to The Crunchy Bits