[BRP] [RuneQuest] Different Editions

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[BRP] [RuneQuest] Different Editions

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:28 pm

RuneQuest Settings, RuneQuest Editions, BRP Settings, Elric & Eternal Champion, Call of Cthulhu, HeroQuest, Glorantha

Here's a quick overview of the editions of RuneQuest leading up to the upcoming "7th edition" of RuneQuest from Chaosium:

RuneQuest Editions
Go here for an overview of RuneQuest Settings.

Other BRP RPGs
  • BRP - Basic Roleplaying (Chaosium)
  • Magic World (Chaosium)
  • Legend (Mongoose Games) - Renamed Mongoose RuneQuest II
  • OpenQuest 2 (d101 Games) - Based on Mongoose RuneQuest II
  • Mythras RPG (Design Mechanism) - Renamed RuneQuest 6
RQ2 (Chaosium) sees a lot of nostalgia on the web. However from what I have seen RQ3 (Avalon Hill) is generally better, although the differences are minor. RQ3 did add the Fatigue mechanic that I did not like. RQ3 seems to get a lot of flack because it was divorced from Glorantha (although a Glorantha booklet was included in the boxed set), but this doesnt seem to be a fair criticism against the system.

I have never actually played the Mongoose editions of RuneQuest, but they did add some features that I like such as Hero Points, getting rid of the "Special" Effect, the Resistance Skills, removing the opposed roll mechanics etc.

I am still not won over by all the new things in RuneQuest 6, though for the most part I have come to understand that it is quite similar to Mongoose Runequest II.

Here's a quick breakdown of the differences many of the current versions of RuneQuest

http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.no/searc ... 0quest%202

Edit: Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12212&p=144415

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 am, edited 11 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [BRP] [RuneQuest] Different Editions (was: RuneQuest Ess

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Added:
-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [BRP] [RuneQuest] Different Editions

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Just realized from the Glorantha thread that I should add the HeroWars / HeroQuest games to this list. Anyone know how many versions exist of that game?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 am

Nice reference post :)

Just a few info points potentially worth adding:
1. You probably ought to at least mention "RuneSlayers" - the Avalon Hill RuneQuest 4 that wasn't (and wasn't Glorantha or based on the BRP system).
A brief history can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneSlayers.
The PDF used to be easily findable, but a quick search failed to locate it.
2. The Mongoose RuneQuests were not actually Chaosium's BRP system (due to a weird bit of rights ownership Mongoose got the rights to RuneQuest and Glorantha but not the BRP system so they had to reverse engineer it).
3. Chaosium still sells Basic Roleplaying which is a useful "all rules in one book" (with a few more slight changes) that is very compatible with AH RuneQuest. All you need to do is add the hit locations and the RuneQuest magic systems.
Speaking of the RQ magic systems...
4. Sandy Petersen's sorcery re-write (for Avalon Hill RQ) is here: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/sorcery.html
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Khedrac wrote:Nice reference post :)

Just a few info points potentially worth adding:
1. You probably ought to at least mention "RuneSlayers" - the Avalon Hill RuneQuest 4 that wasn't (and wasn't Glorantha or based on the BRP system).
A brief history can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneSlayers.
The PDF used to be easily findable, but a quick search failed to locate it.
Thanks! Good point about RuneQuest Slayers / RuneSlayers. I had almost forgotten about that. I didn't realise anything actually came out of this project. Do you have a working link for the free PDF? The lin from Wikipedia did not work for me.

How different was this game from other editions of RuneQuest? Did "shelving the Chaosium rule" mean that this was a completely different system?
2. The Mongoose RuneQuests were not actually Chaosium's BRP system (due to a weird bit of rights ownership Mongoose got the rights to RuneQuest and Glorantha but not the BRP system so they had to reverse engineer it).
Right. But it looks extremely similar though? Are there any vital parts of RuneQuest that Mongoose and other Open Lisence users are not able to make use of? How did the DesignMechanism version, RuneQuest6 fit into this?
3. Chaosium still sells Basic Roleplaying which is a useful "all rules in one book" (with a few more slight changes) that is very compatible with AH RuneQuest. All you need to do is add the hit locations and the RuneQuest magic systems.
Right. And Glorantha perhaps?
4. Sandy Petersen's sorcery re-write (for Avalon Hill RQ) is here: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/sorcery.html
Thanks! Can this be used with later versions of RuneQuest?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Havard wrote:Thanks! Good point about RuneQuest Slayers / RuneSlayers. I had almost forgotten about that. I didn't realise anything actually came out of this project. Do you have a working link for the free PDF? The lin from Wikipedia did not work for me.

How different was this game from other editions of RuneQuest? Did "shelving the Chaosium rule" mean that this was a completely different system?
I did look at the free download once I found it and my memory is that it was a totally different system. The various links I could find don't seem to work any more - but it has been years since I last actually looked at it.
Havard wrote:Right. But it looks extremely similar though? Are there any vital parts of RuneQuest that Mongoose and other Open Lisence users are not able to make use of? How did the DesignMechanism version, RuneQuest6 fit into this?
What I read was that since then other publishers have basically used BRP's core system straight and gotten away with it so Chaosium may no longer be able to assert control over the core system. I don't know anything about later versions since after I looked at (and rejected) Mongoose version 1 I went back to AH RQ.
Havard wrote:Right. And Glorantha perhaps?
Well, of course.
Havard wrote:Thanks! Can this be used with later versions of RuneQuest?
On the home page it says it is for RQ3 only so I don't know. It all depends how they have attempted to re-write sorcery (which after all was a complex mess).
Note this is not the same as RQ2 sorcery (which it was developed from, that became RQ3 lunar magic - a hybrid of spirit magic and sorcery).
I have never used it, but the SP version looks better thought out, but harder to use on the fly, one needs to play the character up to work out what vows they will have. It did fix some of the major abuse potential of sorcery, but only some. (Sorcery wasn't helped by the offical published material had examples of some of the more broken uses of sorcery. E.g. at Liverpool Uni we had a joint houserule that no weapon could be damage boosted by more than its max damage - 9 for a broad sword at D8+1 - both Griffon Island and Strangers in Prax had sorecers who exceeded this concept which leads to the needle with damage boost 30 on it - the sorceror can manipulate it from a distance and whichever limb of someone it hits will fall off, pretty much guaranteed.)
It could probably be used with other RQ versions, but without knowing how they handle spirit and divine magic I don't know how compatible it really is. (All I rememebr from MRQ1 was that it did not possible to actually become some of the caster types as there was no way to meet the pre-requisites.)

Yojimbo
Orc

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:57 pm

OpenQuest 2nd Edition (OQ2) is based on its predecessor, OpenQuest (OQ1), which is based on the RuneQuest SRD (Mongoose RuneQuest 1st Edition). There is a little bit of stuff from MRQ2, like Relationships, but most of its DNA is from MRQ1.

D101 Games also produced The River of Heaven RPG, a transhuman space opera game based on OQ2 and a military action game The Company based on OQ1.

The Renaissance System used in Cakebread & Walton's d100 products (Clockwork & Chivalry 2nd Edition, Clockwork & Cthulhu, Pirates & Dragons, Dark Streets 2nd Edition) is derived from OQ1.

The Age of Shadow RPG from Crooked Staff Publishing is also derived from OQ1.

So OpenQuest forms a little subfamily of Mongoose RuneQuest.

Coming soon, we have Revolution D100 from Alephtar Games (publishers of theMRQ/BRP supplements: Stupor Mundi, Merrie England, Crusaders of the Amber Coast, BRP Rome, Dragon Lines, The Celestial Empire, and BRP Mecha) which I believe is derived from MRQ1 (via the RuneQuest SRD) and Legend.

Kilgs
Kobold

Post by Kilgs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:24 am

It's not a new edition of Runequest... But Classic Fantasy for Design Mechanism's RQ6 (now Mythras) is a direct clone of AD&D. Direct. I highly recommend a look at it. You do need RQ6 to play it.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Chaosium has strenuously rejected the RuneQuest 7 nickname, instead insisting that the new edition is RuneQuest 4.

Actually, they are trying to brand it as just “RuneQuest,” the same way WotC is trying to brand their current game as just “Dungeons & Dragons”. But sure enough, just as the D&D books state “fifth edition,” the RQ book will state “4th Chaosium edition”.

Their reasoning is that this is the 4th edition that Chaosium has been involved in; it has zero influence from the “MRQ fork” and is based solely on the older Chaosium editions. Thus:

● RuneQuest 1
      ● RuneQuest 2
      ● RuneQuest 3
               ◦ Mongoose RuneQuest I
               ◦ Mongoose RuneQuest II
               ◦ Design Mechanism RuneQuest 6
               ◦ Design Mechanism Mythras
      ● RuneQuest 4

To some people, this numbering is disrespectful of the recent editions, or an attempt to whitewash them from history. To some people, it is just confusing for 4 to come after 6 (however, it was already also confusing for II to come after 3). Chaosium has stated it is not meant to be disrespectful, and in fact they hope it makes it more clear that fans of those editions should continue with Mythras (and they probably will). I can see both sides of the issue, but either way, the fact is that Chaosium is not budging on this, and there’s no point in making it even more confusing by having alternate fan names for it, IMO.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 pm

I changed the upcoming edition of RuneQuest from Chaosium to RuneQuest 4. Is there a new release date for this game?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Havard wrote:I changed the upcoming edition of RuneQuest from Chaosium to RuneQuest 4. Is there a new release date for this game?

-Havard
The QuickStart rules are due out for FreeRPG day (17th June, 2017), the main game does not have an annouced date yet.

As for version number, that seems to be open to debate... https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5648-rq-version/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Havard wrote:I changed the upcoming edition of RuneQuest from Chaosium to RuneQuest 4. Is there a new release date for this game?

-Havard
The QuickStart rules are due out for FreeRPG day (17th June, 2017), the main game does not have an annouced date yet.

As for version number, that seems to be open to debate... https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5648-rq-version/
Thanks!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 am

OK, the forthcoming version of RQ now has a name: RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. Chaosium are referring to it as RQG for short.

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5975 ... ment=86705

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”