[RuneQuest] RQ vs HeroQuest? (Split from: [Hawkmoon] Opinion

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[RuneQuest] RQ vs HeroQuest? (Split from: [Hawkmoon] Opinion

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've never heard of this. (I'm not very clued up on RuneQuest. :oops: )
Note that the first Hawkmoon RPG was not a proper RuneQuest RPG, but another variant of the BRP system, though the Mongoose Games version of Hawkmoon was identified as a RuneQuest Setting.
Was that HeroQuest, rather than RuneQuest? I saw something of that name. Is that RuneQuest's equivalent of Original Dungeons & Dragons? :?

Moderator Edit: Split from Hawkmoon Opionions.

-Dragon Turtle
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Hawkmoon] Opinions?

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've never heard of this. (I'm not very clued up on RuneQuest. :oops: )
Note that the first Hawkmoon RPG was not a proper RuneQuest RPG, but another variant of the BRP system, though the Mongoose Games version of Hawkmoon was identified as a RuneQuest Setting.
Was that HeroQuest, rather than RuneQuest? I saw something of that name. Is that RuneQuest's equivalent of Original Dungeons & Dragons? :?
No. HeroQuest (originally called Hero Wars) was first published in 2000 as a separate RPG for Glorantha. RuneQuest doesn't have an equivalent to Original Dungeons & Dragons as RuneQuest appeared as early as 1978 and was the first of various RPGs to use the BRP system at its core. BRP was first published as a separate generic system in 1981 (as part of the Worlds of Wonder boxed set) and was later used for RPGs like Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, ElfQuest, Nephilim, Superworld, Ringworld, Stormbringer, Drakar och Demoner etc. Hawkmoon is yet another RPG that uses the same BRP system that grew out of RuneQuest.

Note that the various BRP systems are typically quite similar. I don't know enough about Hawkmoon, but the different Elric RPGs differed from RuneQuest in that the rules were geared towards significantly more powerful characters. I am not sure if the same is true for Hawkmoon?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yojimbo
Orc

Re: [RuneQuest] RQ vs HeroQuest? (Split from: [Hawkmoon] Opi

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:43 pm

The original Chaosium Hawkmoon rpg (1986) was based on the Stormbringer 2e/3e rules. It was a boxed set with 2 pamphlets. Demon Summoning in SB was replaced by Weird Science rules in Hawkmoon. On the whole it was perfectly playable and a reasonable presentation of the Hawkmoon stories. It was very popular in France with a 3rd edition published as recently as 2009.

The 2nd Hawkmoon RPG was published by Mongoose Publishing in 2007 and was a standalone RPG based on the first version of their RuneQuest rules. Personally, I feel that it captured Michael Moorcock's world better than the original Chaosium game. This was mainly down to lifelong Stormbringer RPG and Moorcock fan Lawrence Whitaker as author.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”