[Dragon Magazine] First Quest Column

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Dragon Magazine] First Quest Column

Post by RobJN » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:24 pm

Havard wrote:As mentioned earlier, there are three different TSR products called First Quest that have nothing to do with oneanother:
Back to the adventure from the Vinyl Record, there are references to Kyuss, a city called Gorm, the elves of the Bloodguard, the Crystal Chalice and the (Evil) Old Gods. The Kyuss thing made me think of Greyhawk, but I am not sure about the other references?

PS: Took the liberty of having the Dragon Turtle move this thread here from Squishy Bits.

-Havard
Actually, the "First Quest" articles in Dragon coincided with the initial release of the 2e AD&D boxed set/CD, and carried forward after its release.

I also used "First Quest" as a subtitle to the Handmaidens of Petra's adventure to find Halav's Shield, as a nod to the gimmick.

Split from AD&D 1st Ed First Quest Vinyl Record + AD&D viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3488
-Dragon Turtle
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: AD&D 1st Ed First Quest Vinyl Record + Adventure

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:07 pm

RobJN wrote:Actually, the "First Quest" articles in Dragon coincided with the initial release of the 2e AD&D boxed set/CD, and carried forward after its release.
Yes, I suppose that is true. I guess it was part of marketing the First Quest box? Or perhaps both the Boxed Set and the series of articles were more of a general strategy of trying to recruit new gamers into the hobby?

When I said the articles in Dragon were unrelated to the AD&D 1st Edition Vinyl Adventure and the AD&D 2nd Edition Boxed Set, I meant that the articles were neither tied to the rulesets or setting of the two other products. From what I remember, they were more like people reminiscing of how they started out with the hobby.

Does anyone know how long the series ran for?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: AD&D 1st Ed First Quest Vinyl Record + Adventure

Post by RobJN » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Havard wrote:
RobJN wrote:Actually, the "First Quest" articles in Dragon coincided with the initial release of the 2e AD&D boxed set/CD, and carried forward after its release.
Yes, I suppose that is true. I guess it was part of marketing the First Quest box? Or perhaps both the Boxed Set and the series of articles were more of a general strategy of trying to recruit new gamers into the hobby?

When I said the articles in Dragon were unrelated to the AD&D 1st Edition Vinyl Adventure and the AD&D 2nd Edition Boxed Set, I meant that the articles were neither tied to the rulesets or setting of the two other products. From what I remember, they were more like people reminiscing of how they started out with the hobby.

Does anyone know how long the series ran for?

-Havard
Dragons 203-224; the First Quest boxed set was reviewed (introduced?) in Dragon 204. Yeah, looking through my back issues, it doesn't look like there's much to tie them together but at the same time.... Same title, new article starting up the same time as the boxed set release? TSR was hungry for fresh blood. I mean.... new players. :D
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Dragon Magazine] First Quest Column

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:46 am

RobJN wrote:Dragons 203-224; the First Quest boxed set was reviewed (introduced?) in Dragon 204. Yeah, looking through my back issues, it doesn't look like there's much to tie them together but at the same time.... Same title, new article starting up the same time as the boxed set release? TSR was hungry for fresh blood. I mean.... new players. :D
Thanks!
I guess you do have a point about the Boxed Set and the Dragon Magazine Column being connected at least nominally. As mentioned in one of the other threads, there was also a series of novels (most set in Mystara) with the First Quest title, so I guess we can consider the releases from the 1990s part of a series, while the 1985 Vinyl Record + Adventure is definitely a separate thing. Although the concept there too may have been to draw in new players.

What else is known about the Dragon Magazine articles? It might be interesting to see if something can be constructed from them.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Dragon Magazine] First Quest Column

Post by RobJN » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 am

Havard wrote:What else is known about the Dragon Magazine articles? It might be interesting to see if something can be constructed from them.

-Havard
Courtesy of the DragonDex, here's a list to start us off:
James M. Ward|203 Roger E. Moore|204 Karen S. Boomgarden|205 Skip Williams|206 David "Zeb" Cook|207 James Lowder|208 Steve Winter|209 Dale A. Donovan|210 Jeff Grubb|211 Timothy Brown|212 Lester Smith|213 Harold Johnson|214 Bill Slavicsek|215 William W. Connors|216 Jean Rabe|217 Ed Greenwood|218 Mike Nystul|219 Ed Stark|220 Michael A. Stackpole|221 Douglas Niles|222 Tom Dowd|223 Steve Jackson|224
Rob

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”