[D&D] Challenge Cards

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[D&D] Challenge Cards

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Here's something I am toying with for my campaign. At the beginning of the session, each player gets to draw one card. The card reveals information of an activity the player's character may engage in with the opportunity to gain some additional XP. The DM and Player should work together in order to make the activity feel like a natural part of the session. This is something that needs to be roleplayed and the situation should involve other PCs and NPCs.

Example:

Hunter's Challenge (Wisdom, Dexterity)
The player should bring at least one NPC on a hunt for an animal (not monster). The hunt should involve tracking, setting traps or other activities in addition to actually killing the animal. The player needs to succeed in at least three dice rolls (Ability checks, Skill rolls, combat rolls) that are part of the hunt. The player needs to come up with a reason why the hunt helps the group on their overall quest. The DM or other players can help with suggestions. If successful, the player gains 100-500 XP depending on level and difficulty (determined by the DM). Other players helping out get 25% of the active player.

If the player fails, or is unable to complete the challenge within that session his chance is lost, though he may attempt a new challenge the next session. Challenges that are not roleplayed, or feel forced gain no reward.

Repeated challenges: The player should make a note on his character sheet of challenges he has mastered. If the same player succeeds in the same Challenge three times in three separate gaming sessions, he may call himself Master of that challenge. Other NPCs will recognize him as such as he gains a reputation within that field.

Has anyone tried something like this? I know 4E had something called Skill Challenges, but I could never figure out any natural way to integrate them in games. I am hoping this would work better. My system can work in editions that do not use skills as well.

Other examples:
  • Survivalist's Challenge (Wisdom, Constitition)
  • Gambler's Challenge (Charisma, Dexterity)
  • Romantic or Friendship Challenge (Charisma)
  • Animal Handler's Challenge (Wisdom, Charisma)
  • Carouser's Challenge (Charisma, Constitution)

What you think?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [D&D] Challenge Cards

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:49 pm

Are you talking about the cards that come with the fake Lego stuff?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:Are you talking about the cards that come with the fake Lego stuff?
This sounds like an optional system that Havard is adding to his game.
Havard wrote:Here's something I am toying with for my campaign. At the beginning of the session, each player gets to draw one card. The card reveals information of an activity the player's character may engage in with the opportunity to gain some additional XP. The DM and Player should work together in order to make the activity feel like a natural part of the session. This is something that needs to be roleplayed and the situation should involve other PCs and NPCs.
As a way of encouraging players to engage in role-playing and side-treks, this sounds like it has the right combination of randomness and reward. I think its success will depend on several factors.
  1. Are your players interested in this type of play? It sounds like something my group would enjoy, but I know other groups who are mostly interested in killing monsters and taking their stuff. In that case, they may feel betrayed if they have to choose between their dungeon delve and the (potentially) more lucrative side-trek.
  2. Do you have time in your adventure to engage in side treks such as these, while making meaningful progress toward the main goal? A role-playing excursion like this could take mere minutes or could eat up an hour or more if the players are enjoying it. Depending on how long your sessions are, this may or may not work well for your group.
  3. Will every player have time to incorporate this? Similar to my question above, but taken into account for not just a single side trek but one per PC, this could represent a significant amount of time.
  4. If there's only time for one trek, will the players who only receive 25% of the XP rewards feel cheated? Should the XP be given equally to all PCs, so that the group can decide which challenges will be the most fun, and then engage in them as a group, rather than more of a solo outing.
  5. In your example, why does the PC need to bring at least one NPC on the hunt? Will the adventure always cater to this requirement? My groups have often been on adventures where they're delving without NPCs or they're out in the wilderness, and it's just the PCs. Maybe the presence of an NPC can reduce the number of successful dice rolls by one?
Please don't take my questions as discouragement. I like your idea, and am trying to work through some of the issues that may come up at the table (or perhaps other DMs' tables) and further refine the mechanic.

Thanks for sharing this.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Mariutti82
Orc

Post by Mariutti82 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02 pm

This system seems intriguing to me.

As DM I'd use it more as random events that can occur during a session ... something more related to the entire party ... random "side quests" to accomplish.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”