[BRP] HeroQuest (& HeroWars)

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Yojimbo
Orc

[BRP] HeroQuest (& HeroWars)

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:19 pm

There have been 4 versions of Hero Wars/HeroQuest:

Hero Wars (Issaries Inc, 2000)
HeroQuest (Issaries Inc, 2003)
HeroQuest 2nd Edition (Moon Design Publications, 2009) - generic non-Glorantha core rule book
HeroQuest Glorantha (MDP, 2015) - Glorantha specific version of the HQ2e rules

In addition there have been the following 3rd party products:
Mythic Russia (Firebird Productions, 2006) - Mythic medieval Russia rpg based on HQ1e
Nameless Streets (Alephtar Games, 2010) - urban fantasy sourcebook and setting for HQ2e
Ye Little Book of HeroQuest Dungeoneering (d101 Games, 2010) - D&D style fantasy sourcebook for HQ2e
Ye Little Book of HeroQuest Monsters (d101 Games, 2010) - D&D style fantasy sourcebook for HQ2e

HeroQuest originated as a vapourware supplement for RQ2 promised in the early 80s. It was intended to be rules for Gloranthan heroes, demigods and heroquests. With the surge of renewed interest in Glorantha in the late 1990s, Issaries Inc was formed to produce new RPG material. Greg Stafford had become disillusioned with RuneQuest as a game system to represent Glorantha. Robin Laws was hired to produce what became Hero Wars. It is a narrativist game unrelated to RuneQuest which has its roots in Greg Stafford's Pendragon and Jonathan Tweet's Over the Edge, although much less traditional than either of those games. Unfortunately, Hero Wars looked like it had been rushed to publication, and the rules were not very clearly explained. In 2003, after the trademark on the unrelated Milton Bradley boardgame expired, it was revised and renamed to HeroQuest. It was revised again in 2009 by the original author, Robin Laws, to better match his original vision for the game.

There are some innovations in HQ that, in principal, I like: the freeform keyword character generation, the freeform magic system. However, in practice, the game is not for me. I'd like to see the keyword character generation in RQ7 but integrated with the RQ skills along the lines of the chargen system in Numenera.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [BRP] [RuneQuest] Different Editions

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Yojimbo wrote:There have been 4 versions of Hero Wars/HeroQuest:

Hero Wars (Issaries Inc, 2000)
HeroQuest (Issaries Inc, 2003)
HeroQuest 2nd Edition (Moon Design Publications, 2009) - generic non-Glorantha core rule book
HeroQuest Glorantha (MDP, 2015) - Glorantha specific version of the HQ2e rules

In addition there have been the following 3rd party products:
Mythic Russia (Firebird Productions, 2006) - Mythic medieval Russia rpg based on HQ1e
Nameless Streets (Alephtar Games, 2010) - urban fantasy sourcebook and setting for HQ2e
Ye Little Book of HeroQuest Dungeoneering (d101 Games, 2010) - D&D style fantasy sourcebook for HQ2e
Ye Little Book of HeroQuest Monsters (d101 Games, 2010) - D&D style fantasy sourcebook for HQ2e

Thanks for this great overview! :)

I had no idea all of these different products existed for that line.
HeroQuest originated as a vapourware supplement for RQ2 promised in the early 80s. It was intended to be rules for Gloranthan heroes, demigods and heroquests. With the surge of renewed interest in Glorantha in the late 1990s, Issaries Inc was formed to produce new RPG material. Greg Stafford had become disillusioned with RuneQuest as a game system to represent Glorantha. Robin Laws was hired to produce what became Hero Wars. It is a narrativist game unrelated to RuneQuest which has its roots in Greg Stafford's Pendragon and Jonathan Tweet's Over the Edge, although much less traditional than either of those games. Unfortunately, Hero Wars looked like it had been rushed to publication, and the rules were not very clearly explained. In 2003, after the trademark on the unrelated Milton Bradley boardgame expired, it was revised and renamed to HeroQuest. It was revised again in 2009 by the original author, Robin Laws, to better match his original vision for the game.

There are some innovations in HQ that, in principal, I like: the freeform keyword character generation, the freeform magic system. However, in practice, the game is not for me. I'd like to see the keyword character generation in RQ7 but integrated with the RQ skills along the lines of the chargen system in Numenera.
This explains alot. I really liked many of the concepts behind this game, but when we played it the game felt broken. Apparently we were playing the original Hero Wars game that you describe as rushed. I wish we had had a chance to try out the revised version of the game.

-Havard

RuneQuest Settings, RuneQuest Editions, BRP Settings, Elric & Eternal Champion, Call of Cthulhu, HeroQuest, Glorantha
Last edited by Havard on Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Re: [BRP] HeroQuest (& HeroWars)

Post by Dragon Turtle » Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 pm

This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 24, 2016 9:48 pm

Yojimbo wrote:Mythic Russia (Firebird Productions, 2006) - Mythic medieval Russia rpg based on HQ1e
So, including Glorantha, HeroQuest actually had three different settings? What were the other two settings like?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yojimbo
Orc

Post by Yojimbo » Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 am

Havard wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:Mythic Russia (Firebird Productions, 2006) - Mythic medieval Russia rpg based on HQ1e
So, including Glorantha, HeroQuest actually had three different settings? What were the other two settings like?

-Havard
Nameless Streets is set in modern day Portland, Oregon but with all the usual urban fantasy trappings: vampires, werewolves, faeries, mages, etc. It comes across as more Dresden Files than World of Darkness but I think that's because it aims for a noir vibe.

Mythic Russia is a historical game (we'll sort of, as it is inspired by Russian folk tales as well) which allows you to play medieval Slavs with a focus on Russia. It the world of Alexander Nevsky, Baba Yaga, Koschei the Undying, and other legendary figures. Well worth a look. Unfortunately, there was only one supplement for it: the first issue of a magazine, The Birchbark Chronicles, published by the author.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”