How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Original Dungeons & Dragons (White Boxed Set)
11
5%
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Holmes)
9
4%
Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay/Cook)
23
10%
Dungeons & Dragons BECMI (Mentzer)
40
17%
Dungeons & Dragons Black Box/Rules Cyclopedia
28
12%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)
30
13%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition/Revised 2nd Edition (Players Options
32
13%
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition/Revised 3.5 Edition
25
10%
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition/Essentials
10
4%
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)
31
13%
 
Total votes : 239

How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:03 pm

I noticed the other day that there are already more 5th Edition D&D posts, than 1st Edition, 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition posts. And looking at the other subforums, it seems like Classic D&D and 4th Edition are the most talked about editions here. But I know that some people play more than one edition of D&D, so I thought it would be fun to run a survey on The Piazza to see how many editions of D&D everyone is interested in.

This isn't about voting for your favourite system. It's about saying how many different systems you are interested in. So if you play 4 different versions of D&D, please tick them all.

I'm going to leave this poll open, so if you start getting interested in another edition of D&D, you can come back and add another vote. But I'm also keeping it open so that new members can come along and add their votes later. (I figure it will be fun to watch the percentages go up and down over time.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:28 pm

I started with 2nd Edition D&D and bought a few 1st Edition books that were cheap. Later I moved to 3rd Edition D&D, but I like the campaign settings of 2nd Edition, so I'm still interested in 2e books. Some of the campaign settings I like hail from 1st Edition, so I've been looking at a few old 1e products.

I've also been looking at some 4th Edition products that have some sort of tie-in to campaign settings that existed in the 2nd Edition era (especially anything that relates to Spelljammer or anything with generic advice about "building worlds").
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby RobJN » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm

I started with AD&D, dropped back to Moldvay, bounced over to Mentzer, and pretty much stuck with it, though I dabbled in 1st and 2nd throughout middle and high school. Most of high school I ran RC D&D. I dabbled a bit with 3.x when it came around, played some pickup games at the local store and ran a short campaign for my stepson. Skipped 4th entirely, and got back into the swing when I liked what I saw coming out of Next/5th. I play that with the missus, when she has time around her studies. Development for Thorn's Chronicle started with BECMI/RC, dipping into 3.x and now leaning heavily towards 5th (which needs very little work to downshift to BECMI)... when it doesn't go in the "Alternity" direction. But that's a whole 'nother topic. :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
 
Posts: 3502
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I started as a noob in D&D with 3.5, in 2005/6, meaning I only played the last years of that edition before 4e came out. I have a couple of 3.5 books beyond the core, and the Oriental Adventures book, that I guess is 3.0.

With 4e I became DM, and I can say that I grow up as a D&D player in this edition as well. I have now started to play 5e. I'm interested in the lore of earlier editions, but the only books I have from editions before 3.x are 2 books of Blackmoor (Adventures in Blackmoor and City of the Gods). I guess that's 1st edition.
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby RobJN » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 pm

Zeromaru X wrote: the only books I have from editions before 3.5 are 2 books of Blackmoor (Adventures in Blackmoor and City of the Gods). I guess that's 1st edition.

If those are 32-page modules DA1 and DA3, those are Expert level adventures from the BECMI lineage. You could run them with very little tweaking in AD&D, since the majority of the mechanics are interchangeable.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
 
Posts: 3502
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Yeah, those two. The ones they have began to sell again in DM's Guild.
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:I started as a noob in D&D with 3.5, in 2005/6, meaning I only played the last years of that edition before 4e came out. I have a couple of 3.5 books beyond the core, and the Oriental Adventures book, that I guess is 3.0.


Yep. Oriental Adventures is a 3.0 book. What did you think of the Rokugan Campaign Setting (used in the 3e version of OA)? Were you tempted to buy any of AEG's 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures/Legend of the Five Rings books? (I have a couple.)

Fascinating fact: Wizards of the Coast were going to release an Oriental SRD, but sadly, that never happened. If it had, we might have seen a number of 3rd Party Publishers putting out campaign settings using the OGL content.

Zeromaru X wrote:With 4e I became DM, and I can say that I grow up as a D&D player in this edition as well. I have now started to play 5e. I'm interested in the lore of earlier editions, but the only books I have from editions before 3.x are 2 books of Blackmoor (Adventures in Blackmoor and City of the Gods). I guess that's 1st edition.


There are some 3rd Edition Blackmoor products too, and one 4th Edition Blackmoor book, if you are interested in the campaign setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Hmm. Looks like I didn't turn on the revoting option. I wonder if I can turn it on without zapping everyone's votes.

EDIT: Looks like it worked. Phew!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby timemrick » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:58 pm

I started with B/X then AD&D 1E, back in the early '80s. When 2E came out, I enthusiastically adopted that, and did the same with 3E and 3.5 in turn. With each new edition, I liked it enough that I rarely if ever went back to play an older edition; if I wanted to run an older adventure, I converted it instead. When 4E came out, I tried it for a little while but never really took to it, so stuck with 3.5 instead. After a full decade of running and playing 3.0/3.5, I finally tried Pathfinder about 3 years ago, and it soon became the new default for my group. I've been slowly getting into 5E over the past year or so, and like it a great deal. I'm currently running it for my kids, and may run some higher level stuff for the regular (adult) group once I've mastered it a bit more.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 am
Location: Emirate of Kobara

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:Yep. Oriental Adventures is a 3.0 book. What did you think of the Rokugan Campaign Setting (used in the 3e version of OA)? Were you tempted to buy any of AEG's 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures/Legend of the Five Rings books? (I have a couple.)


The setting is interesting, but we never played in "Rokugan", sadly (I bought the book for nothing). I converted some of those classes for the Nentir Vale campaign (4e), but my players never used them...

I would be interested in giving a try to the setting, though, as I have a liking for oriental fantasy stories (and that unused 4e conversion is still a torn in my campaign notes folder).

Big Mac wrote:There are some 3rd Edition Blackmoor products too, and one 4th Edition Blackmoor book, if you are interested in the campaign setting.


I have the Blackmoor 4e book. I bought it like in 2011, but never readed it until after I registered in this forum and found Havard's blog (that ignited my interest in the setting). My current group is playing in Blackmoor, with me as the DM. We are playing a heavily "JoJo's Bizarre Adventures" influenced campaign (just replacing the bodybuilding aztec gods with bodybuilding frog gods). My players are struggling between playing with 4e or 5e rules, but for now we are playing with 4e rules, because we are more familiarized with them (we have played some sessions with 5e rules, though).

I have to see the 3.x books, as Havard and other people in the Inn have say that those books have more lore than the 4e one.
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 pm

I started with 2nd Edition AD&D, which the group liberally mixed with 1st Edition. My brother borrowed the Black Box "New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons" and brought it home, but I was turned off by the race-as-class rules at the time. That was around the time my parents banned D&D from the house, anyway. Fast forward 20 years, and I was invited to play and then DM a 4e campaign, which lasted for several years. When WotC stopped supporting 4e, I looked at all editions of D&D and bought many retroclones (the DM's Guild didn't exist, yet). I've run and played some 5e, and it feels a lot like a cleaned-up 2nd Edition AD&D, to me -- almost like what 3rd Edition might have been in an alternate reality. Thus, I checked a lot of the boxes on the survey.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:51 am
Location: United States

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby willpell » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:43 pm

I'm only familiar with 3rd and 5th, both of which I like a great deal, and I've dipped a toe into Basic, which I find has very few advantages, although I'm cautiously probing it for material to expand my 3E and 5E games. I can't handle 2E rules at all at the moment, but Planescape and Ravenloft and a few other things of that sort which interest me are all restricted to 2E, so I really ought to expand and master those rules at some point.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby enderxenocide0 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:12 pm

willpell wrote:I'm only familiar with 3rd and 5th, both of which I like a great deal, and I've dipped a toe into Basic, which I find has very few advantages, although I'm cautiously probing it for material to expand my 3E and 5E games. I can't handle 2E rules at all at the moment, but Planescape and Ravenloft and a few other things of that sort which interest me are all restricted to 2E, so I really ought to expand and master those rules at some point.

Actually, Ravenloft has a full 3E line of products.
User avatar
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 am

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Blacky the Blackball » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:00 am

My first ever game was Holmes Basic, but the first edition I owned a copy of was Moldvay/Cook B/X. I played that for a couple of years before switching to AD&D because that's what my friends played.

I went to university shortly before 2e came out, and - having switched to playing with different people than my old school friends - I pretty much abandoned D&D in order to play and run a large variety of other games. Because of that, I missed AD&D 2e completely.

A few years later, I picked up a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia out of curiosity because, having switched straight from B/X to AD&D I'd never got to see what was in the higher end of the BECMI sets. I was disappointed that the Rules Cyclopedia didn't include the Immortals rules, because they were what I was most curious about, so I also bought a copy of Wrath of the Immortals. Reading these got me interested in playing D&D again (not all the time, but interspersed between other games) and so I started playing using those rules.

When 3e came out, we switched to that on the usual "it's the latest version" premise, and again we switched to 3.5 when it came out and 4e when that came out. While we had fun with all three of those and I'd happily play any of them again if someone were running a campaign; none of them were as good as I'd found the Rules Cyclopedia to be, and I wanted to return to that edition.

That's when I decided that my old and tatty copy of the Rules Cyclopedia needed replacing, but the price of replacements on eBay was extortionate so I wrote Dark Dungeons as a retro-clone of it instead. So in spirit, my group returned to playing the Rules Cyclopedia again - but through the lens of Dark Dungeons.

Since we preferred the older RC to the newer 3.x and 4e editions, I was somewhat cagey about 5e and decided that (like AD&D 2e) I'd probably skip it. However, after downloading the "D&D Next" playtest material I thought it was really good and persuaded my group to try it.

In short, we loved it and we've played one long campaign (we started at 1st level the week the PHB came out and we're still going, with the party now 18th level) and a number of shorter campaigns.

5e is now my favourite edition (and also the favourite of both the groups I'm in) and I've not returned to the Rules Cyclopedia (or Dark Dungeons) since 5e came out. Consequently I only voted for 5e. I'd play any edition, but 5e is the one I'd choose if I were setting up a game.

However, I still like those Immortals - so my current project is a conversion of the Immortals rules for use with 5e (and a few other systems from older editions - mass combat and dominion management rules from the Companion Set, rules and setting from the cosmology detailed in the gold box Immortals Set, residuum rules from 4e, and time travel rules from the Chronomancer AD&D book).
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)
User avatar
Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1980
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:47 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:32 am

I bit my gaming teeth on AD&D 1E back in 1991. Moved on to AD&D 2E fairly quickly after looking for 1E books in the stores and noticed that there was a 2E. Moved on to 3E immediately when it came out and made friends through the system and those friends ran some older edition material, I believe the first "old school" module I played in was the original Tomb of Horrors.

Right now I am heavily into Pathfinder, which is built on the foundation of 3E and it's D20 System. I am slowly reading my way through 5E. I am building up quite a wishlist of older edition products I want to buy. Primarily focusing on 2E and 3E for the benefit of Ravenloft.

Here's what I ticked:
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Holmes)
Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay/Cook)
Dungeons & Dragons BECMI (Mentzer)
Dungeons & Dragons Black Box/Rules Cyclopedia
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition/Revised 2nd Edition (Players Options
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition/Revised 3.5 Edition
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition/Essentials
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby BlackBat242 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 am

I started with 1E AD&D in late 1982, bought the original D&D rules in 1988, and began playing 2E AD&D in 2002 - although I didn't own any 2E books until I was given a set of the original printing of the 3 core books in 2006.

I'd list my interest as 75% 1E, 20% 2E (very limited PO option material allowed), and 5% OD&D - with 3.0E/3.5E, 4E, & 5E all getting a 0% rating.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
User avatar
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:09 am
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Yep. Oriental Adventures is a 3.0 book. What did you think of the Rokugan Campaign Setting (used in the 3e version of OA)? Were you tempted to buy any of AEG's 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures/Legend of the Five Rings books? (I have a couple.)


The setting is interesting, but we never played in "Rokugan", sadly (I bought the book for nothing). I converted some of those classes for the Nentir Vale campaign (4e), but my players never used them...

I would be interested in giving a try to the setting, though, as I have a liking for oriental fantasy stories (and that unused 4e conversion is still a torn in my campaign notes folder).


There isn't a Rokugan forum at The Piazza yet, but you can use this special link to search for all Rokugan topics at The Piazza. You could trawl through those, and see if any of the discussions interest you. (And if there is anything else you want to know about, just start a new "[Rokugan]" topic in the Oriental Adventures forum.

Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There are some 3rd Edition Blackmoor products too, and one 4th Edition Blackmoor book, if you are interested in the campaign setting.


I have the Blackmoor 4e book. I bought it like in 2011, but never readed it until after I registered in this forum and found Havard's blog (that ignited my interest in the setting). My current group is playing in Blackmoor, with me as the DM. We are playing a heavily "JoJo's Bizarre Adventures" influenced campaign (just replacing the bodybuilding aztec gods with bodybuilding frog gods). My players are struggling between playing with 4e or 5e rules, but for now we are playing with 4e rules, because we are more familiarized with them (we have played some sessions with 5e rules, though).

I have to see the 3.x books, as Havard and other people in the Inn have say that those books have more lore than the 4e one.


I think that one of the problems with the "edition treadmill" is that it kind of "shuts the door" on campaign settings that were doing well under the last edition. Designers have to convert and resell the core campaign setting books, and they generally seem to add in some sweeping changes, to encourage existing customers to rebuy the books. That seems to create a "make or break" barrier that the updated setting has to break through in order to be as sucessful as it was under the previous edition.

Blackmoor seemed to be doing pretty well under 3rd Edition, but it looks like it ground to a hault as the 4th Edition Era kicked in.

I don't think the 3rd Edition verison of Blackmoor is necessarily "better" than the 4th Edition version, but there is certainly a lot more substance to it. So if you are looking for a version of the setting with more detail than you can get in a single book, you might prefer the 3e version.

Be aware that one of the core books was printed in hardback form and then reprinted in paperback form with some added content.

3e Blackmoor also has some "organised play" adventures, which Havard has been given permission to distribute to anyone who has an account on his Blackmoor forum (The Comeback Inn).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:25 am

willpell wrote:I can't handle 2E rules at all at the moment, but Planescape and Ravenloft and a few other things of that sort which interest me are all restricted to 2E, so I really ought to expand and master those rules at some point.


I don't play 2nd Edition rules any more, but the 2nd Edition Era gave birth to the highest number of D&D campaign settings.

You might find the Dungeons & Dragons Conversion Manual (2e/3e) useful. The book will help you convert Planescape and Ravenloft material to 3e.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 am

Blacky the Blackball wrote:That's when I decided that my old and tatty copy of the Rules Cyclopedia needed replacing, but the price of replacements on eBay was extortionate so I wrote Dark Dungeons as a retro-clone of it instead. So in spirit, my group returned to playing the Rules Cyclopedia again - but through the lens of Dark Dungeons.


That moment, when you realise that writing your own retroclone of D&D is easier than locating affordable copies of it.

Well played! :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 am

Interesting thread!
Well, I started with BECMI, then moved to AD&D 2e where we stayed for a decade; around 2000 we had the BAD idea of using the Player's Option stuff; that destroyed our campaign and soured us on AD&D 2e. So we moved to D&D 3.0, which we saw as a cleaned-up AD&D 2e+PO; run it intermittently for about 2 years, until I stopped DMing completely. Then I moved abroad, and the only gaming I could squeeze every now and then was BECMI. In dabbled a bit with 4e in 2008, then fastforward to 2011 where I got a semi-stable group, where I ran BECMI again. Then pause again, and in 2014 I ran a full 3.0 Dragonlance campaign. Last year I began playing 13th Age, and a bit of 5e. At this point, if I had to name the games I'd play most, I'd probably choose BECMI and 13th Age (it's not D&D, but it's close enough in spirit.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby BotWizo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello,

Started with Moldvay cook and BECMI mixed together.
(1982 was start of playing D&D for me)
WE moved to 1E with BECMI mixed in very liberally.(roughly 1986-1990) I was one of the main DMs from 1982-1990
then played 1E exclusively (1990-1994) we played some other game systems during this time as well. mostly a player in this era.

Bought books and collected some stuff that I didn't have, then started playing agian as a player with 4e, and now moved on to 5e I am blanking on what year 4e came out and I started playing rather than just reading and collecting D&D books.

My main knowledge is BECMI and 1e.
I started a campaign in 4e and now converted it over to 5e, set in mystara. I am using my old BECMI material to run the campaign in 5e rules.
I love that Blacky is doing the I conversion to 5e so that saves me time.

There are times I think 5e shuts off too early at 20 levels. we had several high level BECMI campaigns and I liked playing up to 36th.
I have less time now so maybe 20 levels is ok, its just tough smashing some of the old epic campaigns into 20 levels, but new campaigns may turn out to be different than old plotlines anyway.

For the majority of my DMing I ran 1e with the BECMI 36 levels and immortality and the Mystara fluff.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
User avatar
BotWizo
Fire Giant
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Barbarian Lands - Brun (Iowa - USA)

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby willpell » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:50 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:
willpell wrote:I'm only familiar with 3rd and 5th, both of which I like a great deal, and I've dipped a toe into Basic, which I find has very few advantages, although I'm cautiously probing it for material to expand my 3E and 5E games. I can't handle 2E rules at all at the moment, but Planescape and Ravenloft and a few other things of that sort which interest me are all restricted to 2E, so I really ought to expand and master those rules at some point.

Actually, Ravenloft has a full 3E line of products.


You're right, I was thinking of Council of Wyrms, that's the other big thing I'm interested in which is 2E only.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Hugin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 pm

I started with BECMI, but it was the Expert set to be specific. I was either grade 6 or 7 and we didn't even realize that we should've had the Basic set to learn how to play at the time. I can positively say that when I got the Rules Cyclopedia it answered some questions that we didn't know we had! (It wasn't until later on that I discovered there even was a Basic set.)

I played (mostly DMing) BECMI/RC D&D until the very early 2000's when we converted over to 3E/3.5. we still played in Mystara of course. As time went on I heavily house-ruled it though. by the late 2000's I had to take a break from playing due to schooling for a new career as well as getting married and having two awesome girls.

Then, in the early fall of 2014, we started playing again using 5E and have been really enjoying it. We have two campaigns running that we alternate between as "chapters" are competed; My game is run in Mystara while the other DM runs his in the Forgotten Realms.

Thus my interests in systems are mainly 5E, with BECMI being mostly out of nostalgia and the Known World/Mystara setting.
User avatar
Hugin
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Fergus, Ontario

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 pm

willpell wrote:You're right, I was thinking of Council of Wyrms, that's the other big thing I'm interested in which is 2E only.


I'm still deciding on whether to buy the Council of Wyrms boxed set or the Council of Wyrms hardback. The hardback has a few extra things, but is missing the maps.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20923
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Hugin wrote:I started with BECMI, but it was the Expert set to be specific. I was either grade 6 or 7 and we didn't even realize that we should've had the Basic set to learn how to play at the time. I can positively say that when I got the Rules Cyclopedia it answered some questions that we didn't know we had! (It wasn't until later on that I discovered there even was a Basic set.)

I played (mostly DMing) BECMI/RC D&D until the very early 2000's when we converted over to 3E/3.5. we still played in Mystara of course. As time went on I heavily house-ruled it though. by the late 2000's I had to take a break from playing due to schooling for a new career as well as getting married and having two awesome girls.

Then, in the early fall of 2014, we started playing again using 5E and have been really enjoying it. We have two campaigns running that we alternate between as "chapters" are competed; My game is run in Mystara while the other DM runs his in the Forgotten Realms.

Thus my interests in systems are mainly 5E, with BECMI being mostly out of nostalgia and the Known World/Mystara setting.


My DMing experience is fairly close to yours Hugin, though as a player I have also tried most of the other editions.

My current main interests are BECMI and 5E too, though I consider B/X, BECMI and the RC/Black Box the same edition. My ventures into Blackmoor and Dave Arneson lore also got me into OD&D.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 16729
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Next

Return to The Crunchy Bits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests