How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Original Dungeons & Dragons (White Boxed Set)
5%
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Holmes)
4%
Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay/Cook)
10%
Dungeons & Dragons BECMI (Mentzer)
17%
Dungeons & Dragons Black Box/Rules Cyclopedia
13%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)
12%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition/Revised 2nd Edition (Players Options
13%
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition/Revised 3.5 Edition
9%
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition/Essentials
4%
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)
13%

Total votes: 276

Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Post by Hunter_Maddox » Sat May 05, 2018 5:08 am

I changed my vote - to OD&D and B/X D&D, after my group imploded after our first & only session of Swords & Wizardry, after my RMU campaign ended I took a breather and began looking into B/X D&D and OD&D, I fell in love with OD&D soon after as I can do anything with it as the core. The only non OD&D or B/X D&D based games I'll run, are those in the Survive This line by Bloat Games & ICRPG by Runehammer Games; but I'll play in most others.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Why does this topic distinguish between all of the original box set editions, but NOT between 3.0 and 3.5?

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Surprised myselfy by only voting for two: AD&D 2.5 Player's Option and Rules Cyclopedia.

It's actually my efforts to kitbash them together that led to the ongoing development of my own simulacrum game, Sellswords & Godwars. I just want a simpler chassis upon which to hang the Player's Option customization mechanics.
Viktyr C Gehrig

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 am

FaerieGodfather wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm
It's actually my efforts to kitbash them together that led to the ongoing development of my own simulacrum game, Sellswords & Godwars. I just want a simpler chassis upon which to hang the Player's Option customization mechanics.
I like the name. It has a nice ring to it. And that sounds like a fun mashup.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:32 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
shesheyan wrote:I've added (Blue)Holmes to my votes. For some reason I never bothered checking out Holmes assuming it was just an earlier version of the Moldvay / Mentzer race-is-class system; a choice I never liked. I was wrong. Holmes is different enough that I want to try it out using the BlueHolme revisited version. I want to do a one-shot with 5th level characters.
I'm interested in Holmes and the extrapolation that led to Blueholme, but haven't had the chance to run a game with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the experience, if you get the chance.
It may take a couple of months but I'll certainly do a write up about our experience. ;)
Did either of you get a chance to try it out?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Vile wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
shesheyan wrote:I've added (Blue)Holmes to my votes. For some reason I never bothered checking out Holmes assuming it was just an earlier version of the Moldvay / Mentzer race-is-class system; a choice I never liked. I was wrong. Holmes is different enough that I want to try it out using the BlueHolme revisited version. I want to do a one-shot with 5th level characters.
I'm interested in Holmes and the extrapolation that led to Blueholme, but haven't had the chance to run a game with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the experience, if you get the chance.
It may take a couple of months but I'll certainly do a write up about our experience. ;)
Sadly no. I don't see when I will be able since my group is on hiatus from rpgs for an unspecified period.

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:03 pm
Vile wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
Sadly no. I don't see when I will be able since my group is on hiatus from rpgs for an unspecified period.
Ah, pity. Happens to my lot on a too-regular basis, too. :(

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:21 pm

I started with B/X, and Expert/X1 was my introduction to the known world. It was formative and to me it is the canonical yardstick against which all else is measured.

I moved to AD&D1 as soon as I could afford the books, bought AD&D2 but never played it, and then left D&D for a while. When I returned it was to the Rules Cyclopedia and B/X and I played both. I then played 3.0 and flirted with pathfinder, but finally came home to B/X which has become my exclusive interest, mingled with OSR materials.

I ticked B/X as my one and only, but also ticked OD&D because I use it as an interchangeable rules expansion for B/X, and I ticked RC because I still have some interest in the discussions and use it as a monster manual in play.

I did not tick BECMI since I have never owned a copy or played it, though it seems essentially identical to the RC.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”