[Unisystem] Anyone Play C.J. Carella's Witchcraft?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Unisystem] Anyone Play C.J. Carella's Witchcraft?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Anyone here play this Unisystem based RPG? It is a modern setting RPG featuring Witchcraft and all forms of magic. I think this RPG was offered as a Free RPG at one point. Anyone know if that is still available? I am fascinated about how this RPG is also connected to another RPG, Armageddon. I always like it when different games portray different eras in the same setting.

C.J Carella also wrote a sourcebook called GURPS Cabal for Steve Jackson Games. Is this book in any way connected to the Witchcraft Setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [Unisystem] Anyone Play C.J. Carella's Witchcraft?

Post by agathokles » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Yes, sure! One of my favourite games. You can check on Eden's website for current availability. GURPS Voodoo is closely related (Witchcraft focuses on Rosicrucian and Wicce magicians, whereas Voodoo is mostly Voodoo practitioners vs Rosicrucians). I'm not familiar with GURPS Cabal but all of CJ Carella's games follow similar themes.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:06 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:It is still free.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/692 ... Craft?it=1
Brilliant Angel, thanks! :)
agathokles wrote:Yes, sure! One of my favourite games. You can check on Eden's website for current availability. GURPS Voodoo is closely related (Witchcraft focuses on Rosicrucian and Wicce magicians, whereas Voodoo is mostly Voodoo practitioners vs Rosicrucians). I'm not familiar with GURPS Cabal but all of CJ Carella's games follow similar themes.
Ah yes, I had forgotten that GURPS Voodoo is also by Carella. I do believe that GURPS Voodoo and GURPS Cabal are connected. I had not thought to compare either of them to Witchcraft. I did play in a brief Witchcraft Campaign where I played a Psychic Private Investigator who looked a lot like Samuel Jackson. Sadly the campaign fell apart way too soon.

For a time I was really fascinated with the DC Comics lines of Sandman, Books of Magic, Hellblazer etc and really wanted to make a game similar to that. I thought about using Witchcraft for that, but nothing ever came of it. I also toyed with the idea of a Victorian Era Witchcraft campaign since modern era games sometimes feel a bit intimidating. I don't know how much of the setting would be different if set in a different time period however.

I also liked the idea of running a Witchcraft campaign for a while and then transporting the characters into a future version running The Armageddon RPG. What other Unisystem Games lend themselves well to combining with Witchcraft?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:18 am

Havard wrote:Brilliant Angel, thanks! :)
Happy to help! :geek:

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:23 pm

I nabbed a copy of Witchcraft when it was first made free in PDF, but I don'the think I ever read the entire thing. I also own a print copy of the Rosicrucian splat book, which I found cheap as a used game, just because of my interest in weird history. From what I've read about the system, I prefer Cinematic Unisystem (Angel/Buffy/etc.) to Classic, but that's at least partly because that's the version I've played.

[FYI, GURPS Cabal was written by Kenneth Hite, and has little to do with GURPS Voodoo, AFAIK (I only own the former), though it does have a brief sidebar about using them together. Cabal elaborates on a campaign set-up first introduced in GURPS Horror, in which (IIRC) a loose alliance of vampires, wizards, and other supernatural types control much of what goes on in the world. Cabal uses the default Basic Set/Magic spell rules, with some extra options added on, while Voodoo has its own radically different magic system.]
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:34 pm

I typically use Conspiracy X with Witchcraft. Also, AFMBE has many splatbooks that can be adapted to Witchcraft to some extent. Finally, Armageddon provides high powered versions of the Witchcraft characters.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:14 pm

timemrick wrote:I nabbed a copy of Witchcraft when it was first made free in PDF, but I don'the think I ever read the entire thing. I also own a print copy of the Rosicrucian splat book, which I found cheap as a used game, just because of my interest in weird history. From what I've read about the system, I prefer Cinematic Unisystem (Angel/Buffy/etc.) to Classic, but that's at least partly because that's the version I've played.

[FYI, GURPS Cabal was written by Kenneth Hite, and has little to do with GURPS Voodoo, AFAIK (I only own the former), though it does have a brief sidebar about using them together. Cabal elaborates on a campaign set-up first introduced in GURPS Horror, in which (IIRC) a loose alliance of vampires, wizards, and other supernatural types control much of what goes on in the world. Cabal uses the default Basic Set/Magic spell rules, with some extra options added on, while Voodoo has its own radically different magic system.]
Thanks for the clarification! I guess I was thinking the connection between Voodoo and Cabal was stronger than it really was. I did not know GURPS Horror and Voodoo were connected.

I also like the Cinematic version of Unisystem quite a bit, although I have more experience with the classic version in actual play. I have never run any Unisystem Games as a GM, so all my experience comes from being a player. I own quie a few of the games though and always wanted to try to run a campaign in it. Perhaps one day the opportunity will present itself :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Havard wrote:I also like the Cinematic version of Unisystem quite a bit, although I have more experience with the classic version in actual play. I have never run any Unisystem Games as a GM, so all my experience comes from being a player. I own quie a few of the games though and always wanted to try to run a campaign in it. Perhaps one day the opportunity will present itself :)
I've only ever played Buffy/Angel (in a 4+ year campaign), but also own Amy of Darkness and Ghosts of Albion. I'd had a rough outline for a short GoA campaign in the back of my mind for years now, but I don't know if I'll ever have the time and opportunity to try running it.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”